Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 2-1 ... Kind of... In a shootout (Yes those are still a thing)

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Marincin looks good when he doesn't have to play the puck. Good positionally and excels on the PK. He's like a left handed Granberg, but without the physical aspect.

So I think he has a place as a #6-7. He'll be cheap and not a bad depth player for now. We'll see how he does as he progresses.

Well the thing is that Marincin's best part of his game is usually his ability to make simple, effective passes to move the puck out of the zone. Something he struggles immensely with right now.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I thought this was a well played game for the Leafs and missing two of our top players didn't help, Bernier looked like the Goal Tender we traded for and our defence was pretty steady and for the most part, our forwards played well and back checked as a team.

Buffalo has a lot of firepower and will be a team to watch out for in the league, they have some very good young talent and they are well coached.

We got a point and deserved better but thats hockey, anyone that didn't like watching this game, isn't seeing the finer points, that Babcock is infusing into the team and it bodes well for the future, especially when some of our prospects are ready to take a job and bring their talents to the team.

I think Buffalo outplayed the Leafs out-shooting them 35 - 24 having the better high quality chances .

Bernier was excellent and Leafs defense was good and some players that play blue collar games played well but overall Johnson wasn't tested very much and in fact Leafs went 10 minutes without a shot on net.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Hunwick and Harrington had nice games last night. I was so impressed by the defensive stability of the effort last night despite the late goal.

Cokenfries

Nov 10, 2014
Kessel plays the way Kessel wants to play, I've seen him in Pitty, he looks the exact same as he always has..

He is getting most minutes for a forward in pittsburg (yes more than Crosby and Malkin), so you are correct he is playing like a star in pittsburg too:)

he fits a team that is already built like pitty, he doesnt fit us at all and frankly I dont ever want a player like him personally, I want someone that actually shows heart on both ends of the ice in the top 6.

So you want 6 Daniel Winniks in you team playing top 6????

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
the JVR thing (and the Lupul attempt) were weird because the puck rolled both times. (but JVR really had no speed coming in either, so.. who knows).

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
they missed Bozak last night, it probably was a win with him in the shoot out. I was hoping the 3 on 3 would reduce the number of side show shoot outs, but so far that hasn't worked.

TML1

Oct 18, 2014
He is getting most minutes for a forward in pittsburg (yes more than Crosby and Malkin), so you are correct he is playing like a star in pittsburg too:)

So you want 6 Daniel Winniks in you team playing top 6????

He meant with heart and skill not with heart and hands of stone. That being said I like Winnik in the role Babcocks assigned. Top 6 during Carlyles regime infuriated me.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I think Buffalo outplayed the Leafs out-shooting them 35 - 24 having the better high quality chances .

Bernier was excellent and Leafs defense was good and some players that play blue collar games played well but overall Johnson wasn't tested very much and in fact Leafs went 10 minutes without a shot on net.

I agree but as I stated, we still held them to 1 goal, until the shootout and Bernier was brilliant however our players checked the heck out of them, we had our chances but their Goal Tending was darn good too and in the OT, he stopped JVR from winning the game, the Leafs and the Sabres are in a system learning mode but once learned and with their firepower, Buffalo should become a force to be reckoned with.

Cokenfries

Nov 10, 2014
He meant with heart and skill not with heart and hands of stone. That being said I like Winnik in the role Babcocks assigned. Top 6 during Carlyles regime infuriated me.

You must be part of the TANK nation then:shakehead

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I agree but as I stated, we still held them to 1 goal, until the shootout and Bernier was brilliant however our players checked the heck out of them, we had our chances but their Goal Tending was darn good too and in the OT, he stopped JVR from winning the game, the Leafs and the Sabres are in a system learning mode but once learned and with their firepower, Buffalo should become a force to be reckoned with.

What we saw was the 30th verses the 27th place teams in the NHL last year, both teams struggling to score assisted by decent goaltending on both sides. :)

Overall they were fairly closely matched, but Buffalo is younger playing lots of youth, while Leafs are a veteran team buying time for their future to arrive.

Bernier was the Leafs best player and Eichel was excellent for the Sabres in this one.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Nope biggest impact change that Burke was smart enough to realize in Calgary they they had pieces there he got them a good goalie and brought up a few player from their system.

If they had brought in idiot Shanahan, he would have dismantled the team.

tumblr_mwycrf58eo1rzik3go1_250.gif

WendelGartner

May 14, 2014
Marincin is a 23 year old defenseman with 89 NHL games. Gardiner is 25 with 251 NHL games.

It is a rebuilding team, and Babcock is investing in the future.

And there is still lots of opportunity for 22 year old Corrado to play this year.

Babcock kept a sleeping Bernier in the net and it was about getting his head on straight, and yesterday he looked better for 60(+5) minutes, not 55 minutes.

And yes, Kadri worked hard to cover for Polak, which forwards are supposed to do, he just made a dumb play by throwing the lose puck out into a danger zone. He's working much harder defensively, he just doesn't seem to understand the consequence of his actions. If he connected on that headshot he's probably gone for 4 games.

The kid is dirty NOT playing with edge as others suggest. 2 years in a row suspensions for headshots; he best knock that nonsense off or he'll be gone more than 4! He's starting to really turn me off with that crap.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Out of the last 40 games played in Buffalo, the Leafs have lost 30 of them.

what's worse?

The Sabres have won 15 of the last 17 in their barn vs. the Leafs

Can somebody explain this

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
He tried to do the Forsberg. But now imagine doing it in slow-motion.
Now imagine playing a clip in slow-motion of him doing it in slow-motion.

That explains it, he learned it from watching Forsberg do it in slow motion.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
It should've been a penalty for high sticking and even a 4 minute one for drawing blood, but that wasn't an intentional head hit by Kane, without question but the refs/linesman apparently didn't see the contact.

He brought his arms up to brace himself for the Phaneuf hit and in the process his stick caught Dion in the lip. A player has to be responsible for his stick but that was accidental not intentional. IMO

So you have 4 striped shirts that miss a high stick to the face just after the puck was there & Phaneuf finishing his check.

I hope they didn't get paid for the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00