TSN: Leafs looking to acquire players with term at the deadline, interested in Chychrun

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Isn't that what a sacrifice is? Giving up something to get something better. I disagree with the other poster though. The fact that Dubas has been active in the weeks leading up to past deadlines, makes me think that he'll do the same again this year
So, is every trade ever made consist of 2 teams sacrificing assets?

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
I can't see the Leafs really being in on him.

I don't see how the Leafs can compete with offers from teams with deeper systems and more picks. I'm sure they would love to have him but you have to think other teams would top offers involving things like Amirov/Robertson/Knies and a pick.

I think the Leafs have the assets to make a significant but more typical deadline move, but someone like Chychrun who is still so young commands a much higher price.

On a side note, I find it interesting that some people are referring to Knies, Amirov, etc. as untouchable. Not a single prospect in the Leafs' system is a good enough prospect to fall into that category. I don't want to trade them because the Leafs' prospect system is mediocre and they're going to need good players on rookie contracts. Knies seems to be the flavour of the month - he is obviously showing promise - and he may in fact be really good, but a lot of people were talking about Robertson in the same way a very short time ago.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I don't see how the Leafs can compete with offers from teams with deeper systems and more picks. I'm sure they would love to have him but you have to think other teams would top offers involving things like Amirov/Robertson/Knies and a pick.

I think the Leafs have the assets to make a significant but more typical deadline move, but someone like Chychrun who is still so young commands a much higher price.

On a side note, I find it interesting that some people are referring to Knies, Amirov, etc. as untouchable. Not a single prospect in the Leafs' system is a good enough prospect to fall into that category. I don't want to trade them because the Leafs' prospect system is mediocre and they're going to need good players on rookie contracts. Knies seems to be the flavour of the month - he is obviously showing promise - and he may in fact be really good, but a lot of people were talking about Robertson in the same way a very short time ago.
Its more to do with how much value they have to us, having decent guys on ELC's is going to be huge for us in the next cpl yrs with a flatish cap.
I don't think we need him, Rielly and Muzz would be ahead of him in our system and Chychrun is a 1st pairing guy and would be 3LD based on needing a DFD as 2LD.
IMO Mayfield and Lehkonen should be the 2 guys the Leafs go for

Reactions: Marmoset

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare

The only thing that really stopped the Robertson hype has been injuries. If he can stay healthy..

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
Its more to do with how much value they have to us, having decent guys on ELC's is going to be huge for us in the next cpl yrs with a flatish cap.
I don't think we need him, Rielly and Muzz would be ahead of him in our system and Chychrun is a 1st pairing guy and would be 3LD based on needing a DFD as 2LD.
IMO Mayfield and Lehkonen should be the 2 guys the Leafs go for

I mostly agree. I'm not sure how long you can count on Muzzin being that guy though - we may be quite close to the point where he falls down the depth chart. It depends if you're focused just on this year or the future as well. Either way, Chychrun would cost us too much. I have interest in both of the other two guys.

Reactions: Deadly Dogma

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
The only thing that really stopped the Robertson hype has been injuries. If he can stay healthy..

I think it's the injuries, plus he's not the shiny new toy any more. That's Knies now. Like I said, so far so good with Knies, he looks great. I just think he's being overvalued by some fellow Leaf fans, which is perfectly normal. He needs to show more to be in the upper echelon of prospects. I certainly don't want to trade him, but for a guy like Chychrun I would definitely be considering it. Chychrun isn't coming here anyways though!

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Do the Leafs have what it would take to get Chychrun?
realistically yes but to pay the price expected for a guy who will prob play 3LD seems like a bad idea.
Obv Chychrun is a #1LD its that the only 3 D spots on the Leafs considered set in stone are 1st pair and 2LD. SO he would end up being a luxury that would cost us very valuable ELC guys(we will need them to fill out the roster in the flat cap seasons)

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
realistically yes but to pay the price expected for a guy who will prob play 3LD seems like a bad idea.
Obv Chychrun is a #1LD its that the only 3 D spots on the Leafs considered set in stone are 1st pair and 2LD. SO he would end up being a luxury that would cost us very valuable ELC guys(we will need them to fill out the roster in the flat cap seasons)

I suppose... Rielly, Brodie, and Muzzin are all LD.

EDIT: Or you bump one of Muzzin or Chychrun to the bottom pair.

Reactions: Deadly Dogma

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Chychrun is most likely better than Muzzin or Brodie but those 2 have earned their spots.

And is the upgrade worth the cost. The Leafs might be better off using their assets to add another top nine forward, or a forward and a defender, etc.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

Chychrun is not a #1, hes max a # 2

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Yes let’s trade more of our future assets because all those other deadline moves the past couple years have been SO successful. At least they are looking at players with term. No more f***ing rentals

In otherwords, they are going to add players with term just to discover that they do not work....

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Don't see why not. McDavid knows Dubas would pay him well and he gets to live at home

Because McDavid avoids media where possible. Some players are big market players, some are small market, McDavid is a small market guy.

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
Ok then... The same garbage that helped eliminate Winnipeg and Vegas?

I mean, theyve both gone further than any Leaf has in..... 18 years now!! They could use some tips.

Now that's GOLD :laugh:
You guys talk like you won the cup yesterday....its been almost 30 years. :nod::laugh::huh::laugh::thumbu:

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
This. Incredibly overrated because he’s the only NHL dman on Arizonas roster. He’s a good #2 complimenting a number 1 though

He's only 23 years old with room to improve. That's the difference between him and the usual defencemen available who are nearing UFA and mostly are what they are. That's worth a significant premium.

I still think the Coyotes are nuts to ship him out unless the return is simply phenomenal but these rumours seem persistent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad