TSN: Leafs looking to acquire players with term at the deadline, interested in Chychrun

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Connor Murphy...RHD with term and a manageable contract, also a leader in the locker room
Kevin Lankinen...back up goalie that is a UFA next year and cheap contract
for
Mrazek (Cap Dump)
Nick Ritchie (Cap Dump)
Matthew Knies, Rodion Amirov, and Joseph Woll...three quality prospects to help CHI rebuild
Yikes lmao

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
What are the Kraken looking to do at the trade deadline? When will that report be forthcoming?

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Yes let’s trade more of our future assets because all those other deadline moves the past couple years have been SO successful. At least they are looking at players with term. No more f***ing rentals
outside of last year, what have they really traded?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I don't think the Leafs can make Chychrun work cap-wise unless they shed Mrazek and find a cheaper replacement. That's assuming they even put forth the best package for him in the first place.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
outside of last year, what have they really traded?
Argument could be made that last year was one year too many. Never understood the deadline acquisition. Go to war all season with a group of players only to go and f*** that chemistry up?

if we can acquire a guy like chychrun that’s a different story!

Reactions: Prominence

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
Argument could be made that last year was one year too many. Never understood the deadline acquisition. Go to war all season with a group of players only to go and f*** that chemistry up?

if we can acquire a guy like chychrun that’s a different story!

This would require a LHD going the other way. And the only one that makes any sense in a Chychrun trade for ARI is Sandin. I for one would be fine with that, however, it would really depend on what else it takes. If I'm Dubas, I look at a guy like Mayfield, Klingberg or (on the cheaper side) Lybushkin.

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
The same garbage that eliminated the Leafs
Hahahaha, this is gold. Do you know both were injured during the whole playoff run except Gallagher played one game. Hahahaha, oh my side.
Like I said, don't want montreals garbage.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Tell me more! I'm serious btw.

I can't stand reading news anymore so I just don't.

Are you saying the Coyotes might actually be on the move, and thus, no longer a place that Auston Matthews would want to bolt from the Leafs for?

He never wanted to, that noise has about as much credibility behind it as McDavid pining to join the Leafs.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Why is Amirov untouchable? What has he done to even justify being a mid 1st round pick so far? Not saying he won't turn into a player but so far he hasn't really proven anything. I realize he's in a league that isn't always the fairest to young guys, especially his team that looks to be icing guys over 25.
That team gave a starting job to an 18-year old last year.

My question would be -- at this point, how much does Amirov get discounted? Would they be selling low? Same for Robertson since he has just come back from injury. If Knies and Niemela have had hot starts, might it be better to sell high on them?

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Severson and Mayfield come to mind if NJ or NYI consider moving one of them.

if NJ would retain 50% on Severson I could see a pretty nice fit there.
Severson makes a certain amount of sense but he’s a pretty key player on the Devils so the Leafs offer would have to be pretty damn good for the retention & early loss of him to be worth their while.

There’s other RHD on the market. If the Ducks sell on their defense it will turn more into a buyer’s market. (I have no idea what they will do though.)

Dubas has sacrificed a lot of assets at TDL lately I don’t know if he will want to spend more on a year+ on Severson. He might want to just go small or go even bigger and get a player with more term.

We might take Mrázek in cap dump back though, sadly.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
They're not going to get Chychrun. But if they did, it would be Muzzin that would eventually be dealt to make the cap work going forward.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
They're not going to get Chychrun. But if they did, it would be Muzzin that would eventually be dealt to make the cap work going forward.

Kerfoot + Holl/Dermott takes pretty good care of things, capwise, for next season. Disappearing Mrazek and Ritchie would go a long way, too.

Klingberg and Khudobin for stuff

Can't see them taking on Khudobin without Mrazek going the other way.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Kerfoot + Holl/Dermott takes pretty good care of things, capwise, for next season. Disappearing Mrazek and Ritchie would go a long way, too

They need Kerfoot and Mrazek though. In a world where they get Chychrun, Muzzin isn't necessary with JC and Rielly as the top 4 LHDs. Muzzins also slowing down quickly and I think they'd be wise to move on if possible.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Hahahaha, this is gold. Do you know both were injured during the whole playoff run except Gallagher played one game. Hahahaha, oh my side.
Like I said, don't want montreals garbage.
Ok then... The same garbage that helped eliminate Winnipeg and Vegas?

I mean, theyve both gone further than any Leaf has in..... 18 years now!! They could use some tips.

Now that's GOLD :laugh:

Reactions: dukeofjive

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
That team gave a starting job to an 18-year old last year.

My question would be -- at this point, how much does Amirov get discounted? Would they be selling low? Same for Robertson since he has just come back from injury. If Knies and Niemela have had hot starts, might it be better to sell high on them?

Tbh I don't even know how to answer that but if he needed to be included or the centre piece of a deal that brought in, for arguments sake, a Chychrun or klingberg type, then I would say hes definitely moveable

JA17

Jan 24, 2022
They need Kerfoot and Mrazek though. In a world where they get Chychrun, Muzzin isn't necessary with JC and Rielly as the top 4 LHDs. Muzzins also slowing down quickly and I think they'd be wise to move on if possible.
We don't need Kerfoot. He can't play center and there are 4-5 more important wingers than him on the team. If we're bringing in a big name and we need the cap to work Dubas shouldn't hesitate in moving Kerfoot. Not to mention, his trade value is probably the highest it's been in years, we might be able to bring in a nice piece for him

JA17

Jan 24, 2022
He never wanted to, that noise has about as much credibility behind it as McDavid pining to join the Leafs.
Don't see why not. McDavid knows Dubas would pay him well and he gets to live at home

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Dubas has sacrificed a lot of assets at TDL lately I don’t know if he will want to spend more on a year+ on Severson. He might want to just go small or go even bigger and get a player with more term.

He's made one major rental acquisition in his tenure so far.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
He's traded two 1sts, two 3rds, and two good prospects. That is a lot of assets

I guess I just wouldn't call those assets "sacrificed". Other than one 1st, all those assets were parts of trades for players with term who have become significant pieces for the team. The Muzzin trade wasn't even at the deadline.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

JA17

Jan 24, 2022
I guess I just wouldn't call those assets "sacrificed". Other than one 1st, all those assets were parts of trades for players with term who have become significant pieces for the team. The Muzzin trade wasn't even at the deadline.
Isn't that what a sacrifice is? Giving up something to get something better. I disagree with the other poster though. The fact that Dubas has been active in the weeks leading up to past deadlines, makes me think that he'll do the same again this year

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Why is Amirov untouchable? What has he done to even justify being a mid 1st round pick so far? Not saying he won't turn into a player but so far he hasn't really proven anything. I realize he's in a league that isn't always the fairest to young guys, especially his team that looks to be icing guys over 25.

The latter part of your reply basically says you know he has talent and cheap ELC talent is something we need in our system. His top end talent isn't something to discard lightly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad