Friedman: Leafs looking for "creative" ways to sign Dougie Hamilton

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
The Leafs can continue on dreaming. He'll get a 60 million contract offers

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Arizona would actually be retaining though. $3 million X 8 years. What is that worth to you, seeing as a 2nd is what he asks of Holland and a 1st is what was asked of him in the Marleau trade. That's worth at minimum a pair of 1sts +.

I don't know what the answer is, but I do know it's not 4 1sts

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I don't blame him.
I'm a leaf fan, but you're nuts if you want in on this tire fire, with shit media, worse fans, and meh city.
Same here. One look at this management group and roster construction = running the other way. Leafs need a new GM who will clean house Sabres style (Eichel, Reinhart, etc).

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Lol let them. Another excellent offensive dman with none of what they are missing to help get over the hump

You think they're missing defensive ability? They outscored the Habs by 4 goals in the series they lost without Tavares. They're missing a total team mental toughness when it comes to closing out elimination games that won't be solved by one defenseman or forward really.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
They're not trading any of the core this summer. Dubas is on record saying that.

The more realistic move would be to trade Rielly for a futures based package due to the massively inflated returns for defenseman so far. Mo needs a raise next summer so depending on his ask they may want to opt for a bigger goal scoring OFD - something they lack. Hamilton + futures from Rielly trade would only cost you about 1.5m more in cap post-extensions.

TOR has ~9.2m on hand as of now (including Rielly on the books). That alone would get a Hamilton deal done, but they need to replace Hyman. Aside from that, they've lost zero players from last seasons roster outside of pluggers like Thornton.

Whether it's the right move or not, it's possible.

Toronto has only $9.2 million in space with only 10 forwards signed, and no backup goalie to Campbell. Replace Rielly's $5 million with Hamilton's reported $9 million and the Leafs are down to $5.2 million with only 10 forwards, 6 defense, and 1 goalie signed. That's not a lot of cap space, especially if Toronto wants to actually improve their horrible forward depth.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Same here. One look at this management group and roster construction = running the other way. Leafs need a new GM who will clean house Sabres style (Eichel, Reinhart, etc).

I agree they need a shakeup but they don't need to burn it down

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Now right off the bat I'm not sure what that means, I assume it means front loading the hell out of that contract.

I have to say I love Dougie Hamilton and if they somehow pulled it off you wouldn't hear a word of complaint out of me because Rielly, Hamilton, Muzzin, Brodie would be as gooc a top 4 as you'd find outside of Tampa.

That being said this team has holes to fill up front.

So if they are going to try this, do it with Granlund or Landeskog, do it with a forward because you need forwards they are thin up front

sign a $3M contract thrn get $10M+ endorsement deal

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Only way it works is if Rielly gets traded and Hamilton takes a discount (aka something like 7.5 million x 7 years with all signing bonuses). The Leafs would also trade Holl since Brodie is the 2RD at that point. This would result in a total of 8.7 million in cap space to sign middle six wingers, a 1B goalie and some depth.

It's not happening

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Hamilton to the Laffs would make my day! They would definitely win the presidents trophy!! Then get bumped in the 1st round by Ottawa or something...

Reactions: Hookslide

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Toronto has only $9.2 million in space with only 10 forwards signed, and no backup goalie to Campbell. Replace Rielly's $5 million with Hamilton's reported $9 million and the Leafs are down to $5.2 million with only 10 forwards, 6 defense, and 1 goalie signed. That's not a lot of cap space, especially if Toronto wants to actually improve their horrible forward depth.
Thank you for the lesson on my team.

Their top 7 D is locked with Sandin and Liljegren graduating. They need a 2A backup for 2-3m. Numerous holes up front will be filled by league minimum (or close to it) contracts in Galchenyuk, Robertson, Anderson, Brooks, Engvall, etc. + whatever return they would hypothetically get from Rielly and bargain bin hunting for the Bunting’s of FA.

Like I said, whether it’s the right move or not in terms of improving the team, it’s doable cap wise. Depth will be depleted.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Related but unrelated... has the idea of moving Marner for Boeser ever been tossed around? I feel like that benefits both teams and would give the leafs some space this year and going forward. I doubt Boeser gets 10.9M next year.

Petterson and Marner would be filthy together and I think Matthews and Boeser would be an interesting combo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad