Friedman: Leafs looking for "creative" ways to sign Dougie Hamilton

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
It would actually be super smart for them to trade Marner for a futures heavy package and used the saved money to throw a big offer at Hamilton. I'm just skeptical that the Leafs could do that with Marner.

You are 100% not getting Hamilton for only $6.5 million a year.

Try $9 million a year.
Marner for a futures package involving a young defender, a gritty forward and a pick would make too much sense. Some cap would have to be coming back too, obviously, but it would spread the money out more, give the Leafs more balance, and allow them to sign someone or make a trade.

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
Only on HF a 24 year-old PPG player with a career high of 94 points won't have much value. :laugh:

Your statement is incomplete. Nobody is saying a 24 year old PPG player is bad. Or that a 24 year PPG isn't worth a ton of money. Of course he is. He is worth a ton of money. He is great, even though he gags in the playoffs.

Is it worth 11M per year?

Probably. But value is all about production minus cost. His production is not substantially higher than 11m per year.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
To anyone suggesting that Toronto trades Marner:

Haven't any of you heard Kyle Dubas talk in recent years?

Kyle Dubas refuses to let-go of any of the current core, despite a growing amount of evidence that indicates some changes might be for the best.

Dubas will drive the entire team into the ground before he ever admits that he might have miscalculated some things or misjudged some aspects of the current core.

The more times that Toronto loses in the 1st round, the more defiant Dubas seems to get.

Dubas is a great example of arrogance (even narcissism) when someone is so opposed to admitting that perhaps they might be wrong about something.

Things may still work-out for Toronto, and maybe they will even win a round (or more) this coming season.

But as of now? Dubas is one of Toronto's own worst enemies.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Your statement is incomplete. Nobody is saying a 24 year old PPG player is bad. Or that a 24 year PPG isn't worth a ton of money. Of course he is. He is worth a ton of money. He is great, even though he gags in the playoffs.

Is it worth 11M per year?

Probably. But value is all about production minus cost. His production is not substantially higher than 11m per year.
I don't think Marner is worth $10.9 million dollars.

But let's say he is.

The debate isn't whether Marner is worth $10.9 million dollars. The debate is whether it is smart having a $10.9 million dollar player as the 3rd highest-paid player on your team.

Compare it to building/buying a home, and you have a limited budget (similar to how a salary cap limits your expenditures).

Is a $5000-$10000 massive-screen TV worth the money it sells for? Maybe it is.

But what good does it do you to buy that TV when buying that TV means you don't have money in the budget to buy a bed, a refrigerator, and an oven/stove?

No team has ever won the Stanley Cup with a player making $10 million or more. Yet Toronto has 3 players making $11 million or more. * (I have rounded Marner up from $10.9 to $11.0, because it basically is the same thing) *

Toronto has 3 of the top 7 highest-paid players in the NHL. This is completely absurd. Especially when 2 of those players (Marner and Tavares) aren't even close to being in the top 7 in terms of talent or impact. If those 3 players were McDavid, MacKinnon, and Matthews, then maybe it wouldn't be as bad as it is. That is still no way to build a Stanley Cup winner, but at least it would be understandable. But Marner and Tavares being in the top 7 in terms of NHL salaries? That is way overpaid and overvalued.

Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
To anyone suggesting that Toronto trades Marner:

Haven't any of you heard Kyle Dubas talk in recent years?

Kyle Dubas refuses to let-go of any of the current core, despite a growing amount of evidence that indicates some changes might be for the best.

Dubas will drive the entire team into the ground before he ever admits that he might have miscalculated some things or misjudged some aspects of the current core.

The more times that Toronto loses in the 1st round, the more defiant Dubas seems to get.

Dubas is a great example of arrogance (even narcissism) when someone is so opposed to admitting that perhaps they might be wrong about something.

Things may still work-out for Toronto, and maybe they will even win a round (or more) this coming season.

But as of now? Dubas is one of Toronto's own worst enemies.

Of course. Stubborn as hell. But if they want to add another star in the $9-$10m range then they have to get rid of him right?

They'd have to basically go all minimum with all forwards beyond Nylander + cut salary from defenders + stay cheap with goalies. If they did that, they wouldn't win even if they added another star.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Of course. Stubborn as hell. But if they want to add another star in the $9-$10m range then they have to get rid of him right?

They'd have to basically go all minimum with all forwards beyond Nylander + cut salary from defenders + stay cheap with goalies. If they did that, they wouldn't win even if they added another star.
Well, if they wanted to add another $9-$10 million dollar player, then logic and a simple calculator/Excel spreadsheet would indicate that trading Marner would be the smart thing to do.

But it also wasn't smart stocking a team with 3 of the top 7 highest-paid players in the NHL, especially when 2 of those players aren't even close to being among the best 7 players in the NHL.

Yet here we are.

I could literally see Dubas signing Hamilton, not trading any of the core 4 up front, and then having a bunch of Wayne Simmonds and Joe Thortons making up the rest of the roster. I can really see him doing that.

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
I don't think Marner is worth $10.9 million dollars.

But let's say he is.

The debate isn't whether Marner is worth $10.9 million dollars. The debate is whether it is smart having a $10.9 million dollar player as the 3rd highest-paid player on your team.

Compare it to building/buying a home, and you have a limited budget (similar to how a salary cap limits your expenditures).

Is a $5000-$10000 massive-screen TV worth the money it sells for? Maybe it is.

But what good does it do you to buy that TV when buying that TV means you don't have money in the budget to buy a bed, a refrigerator, and an oven/stove?

No team has ever won the Stanley Cup with a player making $10 million or more. Yet Toronto has 3 players making $11 million or more? * (I have rounded Marner up from $10.9 to $11.0, because it basically is the same thing) *

Toronto has 3 of the top 7 highest-paid players in the NHL. This is completely absurd. Especially when 2 of those players (Marner and Tavares) aren't even close to being in the top 7 in terms of talent or impact. If those 3 players were McDavid, MacKinnon, and Matthews, then maybe it wouldn't be as bad as it is. That is still no way to build a Stanley Cup winner, but at least it would be understandable. But Marner and Tavares being in the top 7 in terms of NHL salaries? That is way overpaid and overvalued.

Oh I agree. And those 3 are all forwards.

I was just pointing out Marner doesn't have a ton of value. Now Tavares they'd have to sweeten a ton to move. Marner is closer to a wash.

The Leafs would be a true contender is they ditched Tavares and Marner and then used that $22m in salary on 4-5 pretty solid players.

SliceNDice92

Dec 10, 2017
Crazy but idk how much cap space the leafs have but it seems like Dubas would need to clear out someone like Marner to have enough cap space. Again with that said I don’t know the leafs cap situation.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Marner for a futures package involving a young defender, a gritty forward and a pick would make too much sense. Some cap would have to be coming back too, obviously, but it would spread the money out more, give the Leafs more balance, and allow them to sign someone or make a trade.
Not if you turn around and sign Hamilton at $9M right after

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
If they're looking for a "creative" way, I suggest reenacting a version of the musical Hamilton and when they get to the signing the Declaration part, have Dougie sign his contract.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Dubas bout to unveil his new crypto LeafBucks. Doesn't count towards the cap and just like the team the speculative value has infinite growth potential.

Dougie should be excited to get in on the ground floor.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
People acting like Hamilton hasn't been an important piece on a team that's won at least one playoff series three years in a row smh

That said, the Leafs would almost assuredly have to trade one of the Big 4 to make it work

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
Crazy but idk how much cap space the leafs have but it seems like Dubas would need to clear out someone like Marner to have enough cap space. Again with that said I don’t know the leafs cap situation.

It would essentially have to be Dougie agreeing to take significantly less to play in Toronto (think 6.5-7AAV) and then the leafs moving Rielly.

No chance he does that though - if he was willing to take that money he would just stay in Carolina I assume.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad