Leafs looking at Sheahan and Smith of Red Wings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNigs

60 mins of Hell
Jul 29, 2012
Hockeytown

This better not be true. So Holland sees these prices and says, "wow, I better hang on to my mediocre, underachieving talent."
Alex Burrows for Jonathan Dahlen is all you need to know, I'd say sell the whole team right now at these prices.
If Vanek, Smith and Ott are not gone by Wednesday at 3 p.m. I'm getting a group of people together with fire Holland signs, please don't make me do this Kenny it's cold out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
People here are just being pessimistic. There's no way anyone actually believes Jurco will be the only player moved. And if you tell me otherwise, I won't believe you.

Odds of trade:

Vanek - 99%
Smith - 80%
Sheahan - 60%
Ott - 55%
Nyquist - 5%
Tatar - 1%
Green - 0.1%

Odds are, three of these players are moved.

I'd say

Vanek - 75%
Ott - 60%
Smith - 50%
Sheahan - 25%

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

1.jpg

:laugh:

I'm so lost at this point. At first, I was sure any talk about re-signing Smith was to boost his value - add credence to his advanced stats rep-sheet. Now...I'm not so sure. It could still be a way to pump Smith's tires. On the other hand, it could really be that Holland is lost. There's no telling these days.

But let's say Smith is re-signed and to a deal similar to the one reported: When was the last time Holland re-signed a player who was repeatedly scratched by the coach (much less multiple coaches) and was rumored to be available the season before?

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I don't know what everyone is so upset about. Re-sign Smith and we have the the D corps set for the next few seasons:

Dekeyser - Green
Ericsson - Kronwall
Smith - ???

:naughty:

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
sounds like you just have an overly inflated opinion of what a "top 6" player should be

even this year which I think we can all agree has not been a good one only 75 Wingers in the league have put up more points than Nyquist(and 80 for Tatar)

those are still pretty solidly second line numbers right there

go back a couple years and they were putting up first line numbers

So there's 120 top 6 wingers. 60 would be average so they're both below average. Yup sounds about right!
That's why the wings are where they are, can't score goals.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't know what everyone is so upset about. Re-sign Smith and we have the the D corps set for the next few seasons:

Dekeyser - Green
Ericsson - Kronwall
Smith - ???

:naughty:

You are missing Ouellet who is our current best stay at home defender.

Hey if they re-sign Smith to that he will have the third worst contract on our D as I give Kronwall's a pass. But that deal is still better than Ericsson or DeKeyser in both term and money.

I doubt that Smith signs it, I still think deep down he wants out. Tough to turn down 10 million, but I think he can get more with a good playoff run. Plus with his analytic stature, you have to think either Florida or Phoenix will give him at least that much this summer. If I am Smith I let that ride and get out of a situation where they don't trust me and give me enough responsibility. We will see, he is an NHL D-man and has been our best playoff performer of the guys we have on the back-end. I would be curious to know who they are exposing if they do it though, you would think he would still be out there and Vegas might take him away from us anyway which would be very bad.

I actually at this point am not sure and/or don't care who we leave out there. Heck leaving DK available to Vegas might not be the worst thing. Leave DK, Ericsson and Kronwall as our eligible D-man, heck maybe they take one and we get lucky.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
How reliable is Aaron Ward anyway?

Not very much at all I really really hope. :(

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
How reliable is Aaron Ward anyway?

Not very much at all I really really hope. :(

All he did is say what the deal would be if it happened. He didn't say it was happening.

Disappointing to know it's even being discussed, but he's not breaking anything just yet.

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
Babcock interested in coaching Smith again, and Smith interested in re-signing with Detroit. Bizarre.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Trade Smith for a 2017 2nd round pick, If he still wants to come back sign him after the Expansion Draft at least get something for him and he can possibly win a cup that's never going to happen in Detroit.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
People here are just being pessimistic. There's no way anyone actually believes Jurco will be the only player moved. And if you tell me otherwise, I won't believe you.

Odds of trade:

Vanek - 99%
Smith - 80%
Sheahan - 60%
Ott - 55%
Nyquist - 5%
Tatar - 1%
Green - 0.1%

Odds are, three of these players are moved.

I agree about Smith and Vanek. Vanek has been talked about as a rental trade since January it would be a shock if he wasn't moved. Smith has had such a hard time staying in the lineup I cannot imagine the Wings would go forward with him. Ott is another UFA but not sure how high the interest would be.

Green, Tatar, Sheahan I thought Holland made it perfectly clear in several interviews that the deadline was not a time to consider roster players or RFA's; that time was after the season.

The only possibility I can think as a stumbling-block is if the offers on Vanek and Smith are too low Holland won't deal out of pride? I mean there's very little reason why these mindless trades wouldn't happen.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
So let's see if i got this right, Holland might be in the process of giving Marchenko up for free and then signing Smith to a 3.5-4m per year deal. This can't be real life rigth?

I'm not too upset about losing Marchenko, but if he gifts Marchenko whom is a solid bottompairing d-man who's still young and can improve and very cost controlled.. Only to go ahead and sign Smith to a absolutely insane deal. This can't be happening, please Holland don't do it. Play the young guys, XO and Jensen are already better than smith, i'd argue even Sproul is already better. And we have Russo in AHL!

Oct 18, 2006
I'm sorry but if Holland re-signs Smith for anything, let alone at that term, then he's absolutely senile. Please no, PLEASE NO.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
With Shattenkirk off the list, it now makes Kulikov, Quincey, and Smith the top rentals available on the blue line. Here's to hoping all this extension talk is just a whole lot of leveraging for a trade.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
I can understand Kenny re-signing Smith. If Kronwall retires, which is possible.

DeKeyser-Green
Ouellet-Sproul
Smith/Ericsson-Jensen
Smith/Ericsson

Another lottery pick next year, is on the way.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I can understand Kenny re-signing Smith. If Kronwall retires, which is possible.

DeKeyser-Green
Ouellet-Sproul
Smith/Ericsson-Jensen
Smith/Ericsson

Another lottery pick next year, is on the way.

This is what i'm thinking if Kronwall decides to call it a career after this with his health issues his knees and all. Then i think he has his career ending knee surgery and just LTIRs it for his last 2 years then resigning Smith possibly makes a little sense here.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I'm sorry but if Holland re-signs Smith for anything, let alone at that term, then he's absolutely senile. Please no, PLEASE NO.

Totally agree $3.75 million for 3 years is a waste of money for Brendan Smith no thank you would rather give one of the kids a shot even if Kronwall is finished here. Smith's not worth more then $2 million per year tops little lone almost doubling his salary for someone who's been pretty much a healthy scratch any ways.

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
Totally agree $3.75 million for 3 years is a waste of money for Brendan Smith no thank you would rather give one of the kids a shot even if Kronwall is finished here. Smith's not worth more then $2 million per year tops little lone almost doubling his salary for someone who's been pretty much a healthy scratch any ways.

Rather have Quincey than Smith....If I'm completely honest. But that's like having to choose between Trump and Clinton. Good Luck :laugh:

**NOTE: that's not to start a debate about politics. it's a joke.**

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie 2m2 minutes ago

Decision Day for DET. Sign Brendan Smith (3 x $3.5M+ or thereabouts) or trade him. Multiple teams interested, incl NYR, amongst others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad