Leafs looking at Sheahan and Smith of Red Wings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
This was a header during the HNIC 2nd intermission, and I... I can't. This has to be an elaborate troll.

Seems like that was always the risk when Toronto was pursuing Babcock: caveat emptor, Babs is fickle and would likely make demands for acquiring a few players from his Detroit clique.

I'll gladly take a conditional first for him, unless Babcock is wants him badly enough to part ways with more than that.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Seems like they're just speculating since Babcock-Wings. Babs never loved Smith, and Sheahan is a RFA. I think Sheahan is better than what he's done this year.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
Maybe we could be coaxed to throw Glendenning in if Marner is coming back in that trade...:sarcasm::laugh:

Knowing Babcock, he'd probably bend any ear he could to execute on that trade. I mean, Marner is Gud, but is he Realgud?

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Seems like they're just speculating since Babcock-Wings. Babs never loved Smith, and Sheahan is a RFA. I think Sheahan is better than what he's done this year.

He's a 10-15 goal/25-30 point guy. He's unspectacular in every facet of his game and is easily replaced on any team.

Not sure there's anything else to say about Sheahan. And then having a career-low year. I guess if he scores 10+ goals, next year, it will be seen as a great achievement heading into a contract year. But in the end he is still unspectacular and easily replaceable with a young player who makes 1/3 to 1/2 less in salary.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
He's a 10-15 goal/25-30 point guy. He's unspectacular in every facet of his game and is easily replaced on any team.

Not sure there's anything else to say about Sheahan. And then having a career-low year. I guess if he scores 10+ goals, next year, it will be seen as a great achievement heading into a contract year. But in the end he is still unspectacular and easily replaceable with a young player who makes 1/3 to 1/2 less in salary.

He's also from St. Catharines if that means anything, there's quite the Leafs fan base there, and it's close enough I suppose that you could call him a hometown player. I was under the impression, however, that Montreal was the team that made all of their roster and management decisions primarily contingent upon gimmicky crap like "is he French Canadian?"

Ponying up a first for Sheahan, given their roster, would be akin to someone bidding over a thousand dollars for a twinkie on Ebay. You know someone is crazy enough to do it, but it's absolutely senseless nonetheless.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Smith and Babcock don't really like each other and made it fairly obvious. This would stun me.

Sheahan played some of his best hockey under Babs, so I sort of get him. Plus big body upgrade over Ben Smith on line four for the Leafs. That one I buy, supposedly they also asked about the player we all know is his favorite Glendening. Doubt we will entertain offers for Glendening unless they do something stupid. I would love to try to pry Hyman out of the Leafs if we are talking about anybody though and put him back with Larkin.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Smith and Babcock don't really like each other and made it fairly obvious. This would stun me.

Sheahan played some of his best hockey under Babs, so I sort of get him. Plus big body upgrade over Ben Smith on line four for the Leafs. That one I buy, supposedly they also asked about the player we all know is his favorite Glendening. Doubt we will entertain offers for Glendening unless they do something stupid. I would love to try to pry Hyman out of the Leafs if we are talking about anybody though and put him back with Larkin.

This. Luke Glendening is signed long-term. Sheahan makes sense, though I honest to god think he's better than just a fourth line centre. This year doesn't help my argument, but I think he's a 15/15 third line centre.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This. Luke Glendening is signed long-term. Sheahan makes sense, though I honest to god think he's better than just a fourth line centre. This year doesn't help my argument, but I think he's a 15/15 third line centre.

I think he can be that, but it is hard to ignore the nightmare that has been his year. I am a lot more bullish on Sheahan bouncing back in the NHL than Tomas Jurco for instance. We will see, I am not sure we are even giving up on Sheahan, so I would be curious what the offer is. While we run around saying look at his stats and how useless he is, I am not sure what it would take for the Wings to move him.

Also having multiple teams in on Smith even if I don't believe the Leafs are serious in that department is good for us. Maybe we get more out of New York or somebody else as a result.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Even if Sheahan rebounds to be that, does it really matter to us? Larkin is still here and could be a 3C next year, Helm's a third line center and could still do that for a number of years. Z could move down to that spot the last couple of years he's here. If we could get a good pick out of Sheahan, I'd be pretty willing to roll the dice on it.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Sheahan would be a case of Toronto buying when the cost is low. He's a big body who is defensively sound and would fit into Babcock's system. He's better than what he's looked like under Blashill. I could potentially see Toronto also being interested in Green, what with him being a RHD who would likely do quite well on their PP.

No idea if Holland has any interest in trading Sheahan, if I had to guess I'd say he has no interest. I don't see him trading Green before the next TDL. So my guess is this amounts to nothing other than simply trade talk.

EDIT: Also, both Sheahan and Smith are from the Toronto area so perhaps that's why their names were brought up.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Sheahan is a Babcock style player. Smith is the opposite.

I agree at the moment, but what about the morning when Smith wakes up to a phone call from Babcock, and Babs shoots him straight:

"Hey bud, you're a bad defenseman on an even worse team that has no excuse because you've been put in position to succeed by two coaching staffs. You're headed to FA as a crap-shoot guy that will probably get 1 year offers from teams that don't have much upside, or much room for you to hit on that potential. I was hard on you because I knew you needed it. I'd like to bring you here with me and give you a shot to make a killing in FA with a big playoff. I'm offering a 2017 2nd and conditional 2018 3rd/4th for you and Teletubby... so you gona man up and tow the line, or sign a 1 year deal with the Devils this summer and work your way back to the AHL from there? This deal only happens if I know that your best interests are tied to mine. "

Who knows, I think Smith plays better when he's pressed. He's the kinda guy you have to press at all times. Maybe I'm way off, but I'd take that deal in a second.

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I agree at the moment, but what about the morning when Smith wakes up to a phone call from Babcock, and Babs shoots him straight:

"Hey bud, you're a bad defenseman on an even worse team that has no excuse because you've been put in position to succeed by two coaching staffs. You're headed to FA as a crap-shoot guy that will probably get 1 year offers from teams that don't have much upside, or much room/ for you to hit on that potential. I was hard on you because I knew you needed it. I'd like to bring you hear with me and give you a shot to make a killing in FA with a big playoff. I'm offering a 2017 2nd and conditional 2018 3rd/4th for you and Teletubby... so you gona man up and tow the line, or sign a 1 year deal with the Devils this summer and work your way back to the AHL from there? This deal only happens if I know that your best interests are tied to mine. "

Who knows, I think Smith plays better when he's pressed. He's the kinda guy you have to press at all times. Maybe I'm way off, but I'd take that deal in a second.

Smith is everywhere. One day he's toe to toe with chara. Next he's crying on the bench cause he took a really bad penalty and he knew babs hated it

No he didn't actually cry. Except in the inside

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Smith is everywhere. One day he's toe to toe with chara. Next he's crying on the bench cause he took a really bad penalty and he knew babs hated it

No he didn't actually cry. Except in the inside

Maybe Smith and Babcock thrive on conflict, maybe they need each other?

Maybe Holland sees this and gives him DeKeyser money/term because his advanced stats are pretty dope?

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Dekeyser is a stay-at-home D, but better than Ericsson by far. Smith is much more offensive-minded, which just isn't going to cut it with Babs. These stories that Babs wants him up there are nonsense, unless he knows he did the lad wrong and wants to apologize.

Wings would be far better off to hang on to him.

Sheahan always was promoted by Babs. He can go.

Last edited:

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Dekeyser is a stay-at-home D, but better than Ericsson by far. Smith is much more offensive-minded, which just isn't going to cut it with Babs. These stories that Babs wants him up there are nonsense, unless he knows he did the lad wrong and wants to apologize.

Wings would be far better off to hang on to him.

Sheahan always was promoted by Babs. He can go.

Meh. Definitely not by far, if at all.

Ericsson is more physical, much better in the corners and net front, but can't skate as well a Dekeyser can. Ericsson has a better shot and better offensive IQ IMO as well.

LionsFan01

Jan 10, 2016
Meh. Definitely not by far, if at all.

Ericsson is more physical, much better in the corners and net front, but can't skate as well a Dekeyser can. Ericsson has a better shot and better offensive IQ IMO as well.

I don't know how much of an advantage Dekeyser has over Ericsson when it comes to skating anymore. His first couple years in the league sure, he was an above average skater. It was one of his calling cards. But this season he looks much slower on top of all his other problems.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I don't know how much of an advantage Dekeyser has over Ericsson when it comes to skating anymore. His first couple years in the league sure, he was an above average skater. It was one of his calling cards. But this season he looks much slower on top of all his other problems.

Ericsson has very little lateral skating ability, as evidenced by his inability to "remove" players from the front of the net that he isn't already in contact with.

I agree, DeKeyser has looked very slow the past 2 seasons. Not sure if that is a problem with the system of play or that he could have gotten too "comfortable", or just that he is playing with a nagging injury.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast

By the time he steals the rest of that contract, the the 'Michigan Money Pit' of he and Abdelkader might be neck n' neck, creeping up on Weiss, to round out top 3 worst contracts in post-cap Wings history.

I don't know if I could keep playing in front of my family and friends like that. I'd have to try to find an out clause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad