Leafs looking at Sheahan and Smith of Red Wings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie 2m2 minutes ago

Decision Day for DET. Sign Brendan Smith (3 x $3.5M+ or thereabouts) or trade him. Multiple teams interested, incl NYR, amongst others.

got to trade him

we have too try and change the look and makeup of our failed blueline

i would rather trade dekeyser to be honest(his value is more) but no chance holland trades a michigan kid right now

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Have to deal Smith. And I like Smith a lot.

No reason we couldn't get a 2017 2nd round pick for Smith from a desperate team maybe the Rangers, And then still look at possibly resigning him this summer after the expansion draft if Holland wanted. We're out of it any ways get something for him Holland keeps saying that it's important to draft players but you can't do that if we don't move your pending UFA's for picks.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie 2m2 minutes ago

Decision Day for DET. Sign Brendan Smith (3 x $3.5M+ or thereabouts) or trade him. Multiple teams interested, incl NYR, amongst others.

The possibility of having 17-18 million tied up in Dekeyser, Smith, Ericsson, and Kronwall is pretty lousy.

Holland needs to learn to walk away from players, this is a great opportunity to show it.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
If we don't sell Smith today I have no hope we sell Vanek either. With washington adding Shattenkirk and the Pens/Rangers being the likely suitors for Smith his value is going to be at it's highest. Selling is a no brainer.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Shattenkirk going to Washington has to be a positive for the Wings in regards to moving Smith. There is always a market for defense depth at the deadline. He has to be an attractive target to other Eastern contenders.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Shattenkirk going to Washington has to be a positive for the Wings in regards to moving Smith. There is always a market for defense depth at the deadline. He has to be an attractive target to other Eastern contenders.

It is. I think Smith will be the budget backup plan for the Rangers now.

Although much will depend if Smith decides $10 million dollars is a nice reason to hang around. I don't think he'll do any better in free agency. Kris Russell went from trade deadline darling to taking a 1 year contract at 3.1 million. Why would Smith be any different?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The possibility of having 17-18 million tied up in Dekeyser, Smith, Ericsson, and Kronwall is pretty lousy.

Holland needs to learn to walk away from players, this is a great opportunity to show it.

Agreed. I try not to be too reactionary but re-signing Smith would be a bad sign for the likelihood of Holland seriously rebuilding this team. It's like he still hasn't fully accepted the depth of the problem.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Honestly Washington helped us a lot. They made the statement to the other contenders that if you want a chance you're going to have to give it your all. Plus they took the best defenseman off the market. I honestly think we might be able to swing a trade along the lines of Smith+CHI 3rd for NYR 1st.

Then if we move Vanek for a first and Green for one next year... Five firsts in two drafts would completely change the complexion of our prospect pool. Imagine getting Liljegren + Brannstrom + Suzuki this year + any of the top D next year and a center with the Green pick. I don't know what I'd do. Probably laugh and cry simultaneously.

If we sign Smith instead...well that would be super depressing.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

Who is the last player Holland walked away from? Most guys who left wanted to leave and rejected offers.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Who is the last player Holland walked away from? Most guys who left wanted to leave and rejected offers.

Hmmm. Yeah, Filppula was offered a deal but left by his own volition. I think maybe Hudler is the last guy he truly walked away from?

Unless you count fringe guys like Kindl or Tootoo. Which, come on, don't count them.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

I tend to agree with your first point, but I don't see Kronner playing NHL hockey next season. Maybe I am wrong about that but I really expect him to be LTIRed at this point. Like I said before, the only way I would ever consider bring him back is if you knew that Ericsson and Kronner both were going to hang them up after this season. Otherwise, I agree. If you can't walk away from Smith, I am not sure you can really walk away from anyone.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Quincey... I guess?

And if the Wings need a cheap 1 year veteran next year, look no further than Kyle Quincey. Guys like him float around and can crunch your minutes if you don't want to entirely throw the team to a bunch of younglings.

Next year is looking like a tank year whether the Wings want it or not. No saviors in the system, the best player Zetterberg gets another year old, and the best case scenario is they maintain bubble status for 40 games or so.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
And if the Wings need a cheap 1 year veteran next year, look no further than Kyle Quincey. Guys like him float around and can crunch your minutes if you don't want to entirely throw the team to a bunch of younglings.

Next year is looking like a tank year whether the Wings want it or not. No saviors in the system, the best player Zetterberg gets another year old, and the best case scenario is they maintain bubble status for 40 games or so.

Quincey at $2M I'm all for. Quincey at 4.25M like he was when he was here before... no.

I didn't hate the player, I hated the contract.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
So Brendan Smith to the New York Rangers for a 2017 3rd round pick+2018 2nd round pick nice job Kenny. Reportedly Smith turned down a 3 year deal @ around $3.75 million per or so and Holland wouldn't budge it's about time he stopped over paying players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad