Line Combos: Leafs lineup 2016-2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Every team must expose 2 forwards and 1 defenseman that has played either 40 games next season or 70 the last two seasons, that are still under contract for the 17/18 season. Name me the 3 that you'd expose that are going to meet that criteria?

Forward 1: Cap Dump we get by trading Lupul
Forward 2: Parenteau (resign for 2 years like we did with Winnik)
Defenseman 1: Marincin/cap dump we acquire at TDL this year.

Michalek-Kadri-Komarov
Cap Dump-Nylander-Parenteau
Greening-Matthews-Marner
Laich-Froese-Hyman
S.Carrick

Rielly-Hunwick
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Marincin-C.Carrick
Harrington

Bernier/Other-Sparks

Trade away JVR, Bozak, Leivo, Corrado, Percy, Bernier (assuming we don't keep him), Lupul, Robidas and Holland.

And to satisfy those who don't believe in Sparks, sign a goalie to a PTO in September to challenge Sparks for the backup job.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
The D will have to be Marcincin because they will protect Rielly, Gardiner, and Carrick. So I bet they give him a 2 year deal this offseason.

Zaitsev is not eligible, thankfully.

For forward it could be a bunch of different players. Bozak if he's still around. PAP is a good thought and a good reason to sign him for 2 years. If Lupul plays I think 24 games he is eligible. A few players that need contracts like Holland could also be the 40/70 fwd.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
The D will have to be Marcincin because they will protect Rielly, Gardiner, and Carrick. So I bet they give him a 2 year deal this offseason.

Zaitsev is not eligible, thankfully.

For forward it could be a bunch of different players. Bozak if he's still around. PAP is a good thought and a good reason to sign him for 2 years. If Lupul plays I think 24 games he is eligible. A few players that need contracts like Holland could also be the 40/70 fwd.

Parenteau could be the guy they take if we do resign him to a two year deal. If he puts up 40 points again, and only costs 2 million or so a year, he could be exactly they want. Allows them for fill in a value spot with a good cap deal; then they can look at FA or other guys in the expansion draft with the extra cap to make their team better.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
, it's quite possible that we go after some of the quality players that teams that are getting pinched would have to expose, or sign a quality ufa or two, or decide to go 4x4 and expose one or two of the mid range young forwards. Lots of possibilities beyond deliberately signing and playing scrubs for the sole purpose of exposure fodder.

If we're gonna be that dickish grab a couple tweeners that got 60+ games this season and stick em with the marlies until the deadline. Kinda goes against this management's ethos though.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Why in the world would the Leafs pay to dump Lupul? We are no where near the cap, why would management do this? He now serves a purpose by playing 24 games this season.

We wouldn't pay to dump Lupul. We would trade him for a different cap dump. I could explain more, or give an example.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I keep changing my mind slightly on our lineup next year. I believe management needs to place Matthews in a position to succeed by surrounding him with skilled, proven players on the top line rather than playing him against easier competition on the 3rd line. With the way Babcock runs his lineup we should see a prominent first scoring line and 3 supporting lines with talent and scoring ability. I would like to see the following:

JVR - Matthews - Boedker
Komarov - Kadri - Parenteau
Michalek - Nylander - Hyman
Greening - Bozak - Marner
Laich / Leivo

Rielly - Marincin
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Hunwick - Carrick
Corrado

Andersen
Bernier

Transactions:

Draft Austen Matthews did overall.

Trade Pittsburgh's first + Sparks + Percy for Andersen.

Sign Boedker as a UFA.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I keep changing my mind slightly on our lineup next year. I believe management needs to place Matthews in a position to succeed by surrounding him with skilled, proven players on the top line rather than playing him against easier competition on the 3rd line. With the way Babcock runs his lineup we should see a prominent first scoring line and 3 supporting lines with talent and scoring ability. I would like to see the following:

JVR - Matthews - Boedker
Laich / Leivo

Rielly - Marincin
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Hunwick - Carrick
Corrado

Andersen
Bernier

Transactions:

Sign Boedker as a UFA.

We will be able to get a goalie much cheaper....no 1st round pick. We should be able to get a younger, cheaper goalie for a 2nd and a prospect like Percy.

We will sign UFA but they have to fit in with our current group. I do not see us signing PAP and another similar player

buttman*

JVR Stamkos Nylander
Vessey Matthews Marner
Komarov Kadri Soshnikov/Hyman
Greening Laich Michalek

Lievo

Bozak and Holland moved.

Reilly Mancirin
Gardiner Zaitsev
Hunwick Carrick

Percy
Harrington

Anderson
Bernier

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto

JVR - Matthews - Boedker
Laich / Leivo

Rielly - Marincin
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Hunwick - Carrick
Corrado

Andersen
Bernier

Transactions:

Sign Boedker as a UFA.

No to trading for Anderson. Address goaltending next season. Even then, don't trade a ****ing first for a goalie.
No to signing Boedker.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
We will be able to get a goalie much cheaper....no 1st round pick. We should be able to get a younger, cheaper goalie for a 2nd and a prospect like Percy.

We will sign UFA but they have to fit in with our current group. I do not see us signing PAP and another similar player

I'm sure we could get a slightly younger less proven goalie cheaper, but if that's the asking price for Andersen I think management would be stupid to not do it. Andersen is only 26 and has been playing in a number one role for 2 years with 28 playoff appearances to boast. Why would we not give up the final pick in the first round for a more probable #1 goalie?

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
JVR - Matthews - Michalek
Komarov - Kadri - Leivo
Greening - Bozak - Nylander
Laich - S. Carrick/Froese - Higgins

Rielly - Tanev
Quincey - Zaitsev
Hunwick - C. Carrick

Bernier
Pickard

Not specific in trades, but the base part of the deals I was thinking of:

To Vancouver:
D - Jake Gardiner

To Toronto:
D - Chris Tanev
F - Chris Higgins

* Something to work with here and need to fine tune the deals here, but Tanev is the guy that I want on the team going forward.

To Colorado:
F - Kasperi Kapenen

To Toronto:
G - Calvin Pickard
Draft pick

* Personally, I don't see the highest ceiling for Kapanen that's been discussed. He's similar to a Yakupov, where he's got the talent, but you need the centreman and other winger that will have to work for him. I see Pickard as being a quality starter in the league and the Leafs have nothing in their system.

Sign Kyle Quincey to a 3 year contract.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I've been wondering how long it will be until Malcolm Subban is demanding a trade out of the Bruions organization - no way he'll want to have a career as being a backup to Rask.

Could maybe be had for cheap.

Gramsci

Jul 31, 2003
Toronto
I'm sure we could get a slightly younger less proven goalie cheaper, but if that's the asking price for Andersen I think management would be stupid to not do it. Andersen is only 26 and has been playing in a number one role for 2 years with 28 playoff appearances to boast. Why would we not give up the final pick in the first round for a more probable #1 goalie?

Andersen is ranked 22nd in the league over the past two seasons for goalies with 50+ games (.916 save percentage). That's barely even middling performance.

You don't trade valuable assets for a player like that, particularly when the Ducks are facing losing him or Gibson in the expansion draft.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

His contract demands will be far to high as well as I think that we will be able to get a younger goalie who can grow with the team for less cost...in both assets requirement and salary.

MarryMarner

Mar 31, 2008
Sign Keith Yandle
Sign Steven Stamkos
LTIR Lupul
Trade Tyler Bozak + 56th Overall for Frederik Andersen

James van Riemsdyk -- Steven Stamkos -- William Nylander
Leo Komarov -- Nazem Kadri -- Mitchell Marner
Colin Greening -- Auston Matthews -- Connor Brown
Nikita Soshnikov -- Brooks Laich -- Zach Hyman

Keith Yandle -- Morgan Rielly
Jake Gardiner -- Nikita Zaitsev
Martin Marincin -- Connor Carrick

Frederik Andersen
Jonathan Bernier

PP1: Steven Stamkos -- Auston Matthews -- James van Riemsdyk
Nikita Zaitsev -- Morgan Rielly

PP2: Mitchell Marner -- Nazem Kadri -- Leo Komarov
William Nylander -- Keith Yandle

Last edited:

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Not specific in trades, but the base part of the deals I was thinking of:

To Vancouver:
D - Jake Gardiner

To Toronto:
D - Chris Tanev
F - Chris Higgins

* Something to work with here and need to fine tune the deals here, but Tanev is the guy that I want on the team going forward.

I don't think giving up Gardiner is what we want to do to get a RD. This would make our LD weak.

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
Sign Keith Yandle
Sign Steven Stamkos
LTIR Lupul
Trade Tyler Bozak + 56th Overall for Frederik Andersen

James van Riemsdyk -- Steven Stamkos -- William Nylander
Leo Komarov -- Nazem Kadri -- Mitchell Marner
Colin Greening -- Auston Matthews -- Connor Brown
Nikita Soshnikov -- Brooks Laich -- Zach Hyman

Keith Yandle -- Morgan Rielly
Jake Gardiner -- Nikita Zaitsev
Martin Marincin -- Connor Carrick

Frederik Andersen
Jonathan Bernier

PP1: Steven Stamkos -- Auston Matthews -- James van Riemsdyk
Nikita Zaitsev -- Morgan Rielly

PP2: Mitchell Marner -- Nazem Kadri -- Leo Komarov
William Nylander -- Keith Yandle

Ducks have no need for Bozak. They will want draft picks and prospects only, unless we are taking on an additional cap dump like Bieksa or Stoner.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I don't think giving up Gardiner is what we want to do to get a RD. This would make our LD weak.

The reason I would make this trade isn't for the first year, where I would agree it would make the team weaker on LD. But it's looking forward to where I think that Dermott & Nielsen could fill that role of the 2nd pairing guy effectively.

The point would be that you have 2 very young defencemen that you can count on playing top pairing minutes for the next 6 years guaranteed.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Has everyone given up hope that Lupul could turn things around, or is he just done? I didn't watch many games this season until Nylander got called up, so I'm a tad out of the loop.

If hes on the roster, is he that bad that he can't play 3rd line wing?

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Has everyone given up hope that Lupul could turn things around, or is he just done? I didn't watch many games this season until Nylander got called up, so I'm a tad out of the loop.

If hes on the roster, is he that bad that he can't play 3rd line wing?

I think it was mentioned at the end of the year that it's not likely he was going to be back.

If he was healthy, he could play in the top 9 for sure. But it's tough when you can only bank on him playing 3/4 of the season.

ForSpareParts*

OK. This is based on who we have in the organization today. I cannot add Stamkos, Shattenkirk, Anderson, or Matthews until it happens.

For now:

JVR Bozak Marner
Komarov's Nylander Michalek
Laich Kadri Soshnikov
Leipsic Gauthier Hyman

Rielly Marincin
Gardiner Zeisev
Valiev Carrick

Bernier
Bibeau

Notes:

Bozak is still at the top in terms of center depth

Yes I know Matthews is likely to be drafted by TOR. Yes that does change a lot. However I do think that still leaves Kadri on the 3rd line.

Of all the players likely to be moved it will be Gardiner. Look no further than the cup finals to realize that Gardiner has no chance of helping any team with success. He has shown little creativity in the offensive zone, and a profound amount of disinterest in defending.

Leipsic's time is now. He has skill and a good defensive ability. He also makes few mistakes. They cannot keep Greening over him.

I am sort of reluctant to put Zeisev there. He is so unproven.

I don't like our D and I don't like our goaltending. I hope major changes happen this year in those two areas.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Nest year will most likely look like this

Michalek-Kadri-Leo
Laich-Matthews-Marner
JVR-Bozak-Willie
Sosh-Holland-Hyman

Reilly-Hunwick
Jake-Nikita
Marincin-Carrick

JB and Sparks

one77