Friedman: Leafs like Vatrano, Friedman thinks it would be tough to fit him in.

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
I doubt it happens. The Ducks brass, by all accounts, likes him. No way they retain 50% on him for anything less then a 1st and I doubt Toronto is interested in paying a late 1st.

Fans like em also. As little as that means to anything regarding what management wants to do. Not saying I know the world, but everywhere I post at regarding Ducks hockey Vatrano is mentioned being good for the team by fans

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Vatrano at 1.8 million for 3 more years woulf maybe be worth a first from the leafs.

No he's not, nobody is doing thateven at 1.8, have you seen the offensive talent available?

I like Frank Vatrano but Frank Vatrano is not that dude

Last edited:

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
No he's not, nobody is doing rgar even at 1.8, have you seen the offensive talent available?

I like Frank Vatrano but Frank Vatrano is not that dude
Frankie is definitely not, but the ~$4m retained by Anaheim is approaching that level of value. If it were $1m more or Vatrano were a bit better, I could definitely see the case being made.

NewZealandMike

Nov 14, 2022
Frankie is definitely not, but the ~$4m retained by Anaheim is approaching that level of value. If it were $1m more or Vatrano were a bit better, I could definitely see the case being made.
5'11 190lbs
This brings what NEW element to the Leafs??

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Friedman mentioned the Leafs were interested in Timmins and Vatrano in early November. I didn't really see why they'd be overly interested in either player. But, they traded for Timmins shortly after that and now Friedman is bringing Vatrano up again. There might be something here.

I'm not in love with wasting cap to acquire Vatrano, so I would hope the deal would be Vatrano for Jarnkrok. They're comparable players both signed this summer to contracts with term.
After watching Vatrano on the Rangers, he has a good shot and plays a stout game. Going to guess some fans/nation are not that familiar with him.

Reactions: Yemeth

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
There isn't really an "if" they are in fact in full on tank mode
LOL - baloney.

In our world (nation), many teams are in full tank mode and dying to give us their good players for peanuts. They don't need assets/futures in return, they need to contribute to our noble cause.

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
No it's not baloney their record says they are tanking

This is true….. to think Anaheim has literally what? 3 regulation wins this season? Isn’t tank mode I don’t know what is. Anaheim is gonna get Bedard or Fantili. Chicago can’t beat us tanking. They are better than Anaheim on paper

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
They have the money to fit him in If they wanted to I'm not sure why he said that.
My guess is the concern about fitting him beyond this season. The Leafs have 12 players signed for next season at nearly 71 million. That doesn't leave much space to fill out the rest of the roster. Unless they can get double retention and drop Vatrano's cap hit down to 912.5k, or they move one of their bigger salaries this summer, he's probably not a fit.

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
Until the deadline

We’re going to lose more games before the deadline. Even with Chicago trading Kane. So it’s a race for last place.

And the NHL owes Anaheim a number one center after Getzlaf retired. Bettman knows he’s retired. And Anaheim needs that number one pick that the franchise never has had ever in its history.

If the NHL wants relevance again in California? Like the Gretzky days. This is the draft to gift a franchise one. Even if it’s SJ or Anaheim.

I’m completely off topic, and on a tangent. But it’s true to make hockey exciting again here.

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
No it's not baloney their record says they are tanking
I was not arguing about whether the Ducks were in tank mode. That is a lame attempt at changing the subject and moving the goalposts.

The actual topic is what a team that tanks does to rebuild. What a tanking team does is move older players to acquire picks & prospects. They don't have to trade the pick to any one team including our team (the Leafs). If the Ducks don't like our return, they can shop around and see what other teams offer them. So, the priority is the young assets they acquire via trade versus saving money.

Thanks for coming out though.

This is true….. to think Anaheim has literally what? 3 regulation wins this season? Isn’t tank mode I don’t know what is. Anaheim is gonna get Bedard or Fantili. Chicago can’t beat us tanking. They are better than Anaheim on paper
Yes, but the argument wasn't whether the Ducks were tanking or not. You missed the point. See above. The most important priority for a tanking team is to acquire picks & prospects versus saving money.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
I was not arguing about whether the Ducks were in tank mode. That is a lame attempt at changing the subject and moving the goalposts.

The actual topic is what a team that tanks does to rebuild. What a tanking team does is move older players to acquire picks & prospects. They don't have to trade the pick to any one team including our team (the Leafs). If the Ducks don't like our return, they can shop around and see what other teams offer them. So, the priority is the young assets they acquire via trade versus saving money.

Thanks for coming out though.

Yes, but the argument wasn't whether the Ducks were tanking or not. You missed the point. See above. The most important priority for a tanking team is to acquire picks & prospects versus saving money.

Isn’t that the plan though? Anaheim has players being shipped this deadline for picks and prospects. Klingberg for sure 100% is going for picks and prospects. And possibly others. Anaheim has huge cap room as well.

Once Klingberg is gone? They will lead the NHL in cap space. And I believe they will take on bad contracts for picks and prospects.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Isn’t that the plan though?
I would certainly hope so. The subsequent discussion that ensued with the other poster was "saving money" versus "acquiring assets (picks & prospects) for the rebuild". It would be real tough to have a successful rebuild if all a team was trying to do was save money.

If you want Kerfoot to help us out of our cap situation, hey no problem. I'd hope for your team's sake that your GM would be raising his price even higher if that were the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: JlindiesANA

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
I would certainly hope so. The subsequent discussion that ensued with the other poster was "saving money" versus "acquiring assets (picks & prospects) for the rebuild". It would be real tough to have a successful rebuild if all a team was trying to do was save money.

If you want Kerfoot to help us out of our cap situation, hey no problem. I'd hope for your team's sake that your GM would be raising his price even higher if that were the case.

Anaheim is figuring things out. Toronto isn’t the only one having cap issues. And obviously Anaheim will hold pat and not take the first offer for dumps. It’s only us, the Yotes, and Buffalo who can take back bad stuff. So I’m sure our cap room will be shipped at the deadline when teams get more desperate

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad