Friedman: Leafs like Vatrano, Friedman thinks it would be tough to fit him in.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
On the December 22 edition of Tim and Friends Friedman said that the Leafs really like Frank Vatrano, but he also said he thinks it would be tough to fit him in and honestly I'm sure why.

The Leafs have the Muzzin contract, they can use that LTIR money to upgrade the team.

With that LTIR money they could absolutely fit in Vatrano.

Now I want them to use that LTIR money on a higher end player although I do like Vatrano but that's not the point.

They have the money to fit him in If they wanted to I'm not sure why he said that.

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
I’ll be honest? Vatrano isn’t looking bad on Anaheim. I got no problem keeping him. He has 15 points on a crappy Ducks team in 35 games. The fans I’ve talked to like em also. Toronto is going to have to persuade us to get rid of him. He makes our forward group actually look decent.

He’s on a bang for your Buck contract as well with 2 more years on it. So that’s a plus for Anaheim

Reactions: Yemeth

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Much more reasonable and realistic option than P kane......with this they could add a D as well.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Q1. What does Vat command on the open market, either whole nut or retained?
Q 2. Do the Ducks prefer that, or best bid?

Am gonna be crushed a coupla days, look forward to seeing what offer if any Leafs fans suggest here, and
what counterbids may be mentioned.

peace out

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I’ll be honest? Vatrano isn’t looking bad on Anaheim. I got no problem keeping him. He has 15 points on a crappy Ducks team in 35 games. The fans I’ve talked to like em also. Toronto is going to have to persuade us to get rid of him. He makes our forward group actually look decent.

He’s on a bang for your Buck contract as well with 2 more years on it. So that’s a plus for Anaheim

Just save us the time and tell us it will cost 1st + Knies like any player the Leafs show interest in

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
Verbeek probably isn't interested in moving Vatrano. He fills multiple needs right now for the team. I also don't think it would send a good message to future UFA's if he signed a guy to a 3 year contract and moved him at the deadline the first year despite playing well. It's already hard enough to sign UFA's given that the Ducks are terrible and lose most of their games.

So the only way Verbeek says yes is if it's an offer he can't refuse, which would start with 2023 1st +. Leafs would have to overpay and there's really no way around it.

Reactions: Yemeth

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Friedman mentioned the Leafs were interested in Timmins and Vatrano in early November. I didn't really see why they'd be overly interested in either player. But, they traded for Timmins shortly after that and now Friedman is bringing Vatrano up again. There might be something here.

I'm not in love with wasting cap to acquire Vatrano, so I would hope the deal would be Vatrano for Jarnkrok. They're comparable players both signed this summer to contracts with term.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
There’s no reason to. He’s been doing very well here. Without an overpayment? I’m fine keeping him. His cap hit is 3.2 and signed for 2 more years. The fans like em also. It’s not like he’s Klingberg struggling
Vatrano's cap git is 3,65 million not 3.2. Try the google next time its on the internet now.

As for Anaheim trading him I think Toronto seems to be sniffing around. This is the second time I have seen this. Not sure if it was Friedman the first time as well but there seems to be smoke right now.

Have to think the Leafs are offering a couple of picks. 3rd this year, 2nd next year and a prospect. Maybe Kerfoot is included as a cap dump. Have to think Toronto is ready to load up to try for a run.

• Haha
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Verbeek probably isn't interested in moving Vatrano. He fills multiple needs right now for the team. I also don't think it would send a good message to future UFA's if he signed a guy to a 3 year contract and moved him at the deadline the first year despite playing well. It's already hard enough to sign UFA's given that the Ducks are terrible and lose most of their games.

So the only way Verbeek says yes is if it's an offer he can't refuse, which would start with 2023 1st +. Leafs would have to overpay and there's really no way around it.
Have to think the Leafs are ready to spend some draft and prospect capital to try and make a run. A couple of over pays could be on the way.

Reactions: Jmo89

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
Just save us the time and tell us it will cost 1st + Knies like any player the Leafs show interest in

There’s just no reason for Anaheim to move him. That’s what I’m saying…. Like it makes no sense. He’s signed affordable and he works with what we have. He’s not a rental either.

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
Vatrano's cap git is 3,65 million not 3.2. Try the google next time its on the internet now.

As for Anaheim trading him I think Toronto seems to be sniffing around. This is the second time I have seen this. Not sure if it was Friedman the first time as well but there seems to be smoke right now.

Have to think the Leafs are offering a couple of picks. 3rd this year, 2nd next year and a prospect. Maybe Kerfoot is included as a cap dump. Have to think Toronto is ready to load up to try for a run.

So I’m 450 grand off? Is that your reasoning for quoting me? He works with what we have. And is affordable under OUR cap. And also is working well on OUR team. He’s signed for 2 more years as well. There’s no incentive of moving Vatrano besides an over payment.

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022

A late second and a third for Vatrano? Makes no sense for Anaheim. And let me guess Kerfoot is included as well right? Yup… you included a cap dump 🤣 Ducks pass…. Anaheim is good keeping Vatrano who’s under contract

Last edited:

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
A late second and a late third for Vatrano? Makes no sense for Anaheim. And let me guess Kerfoot is included as well right? Ducks pass…. Anaheim is good keeping Vatrano who’s under contract
Vatrano is juggernaut worth a premium package, but Alex Kerfoot is a throw in for cap purposes. Bizarre land in which we live.

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
Vatrano is juggernaut worth a premium package, but Alex Kerfoot is a throw in for cap purposes. Bizarre land in which we live.

No one said he’s a juggernaut. What I’m saying is he works well with our team. He has chemistry here with the little offense we have as is. There’s no incentive to move him. He works on all 4 of our lines including Zegras line.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa

I don't know if $3.7m is "bang for your buck" territory.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
If they liked him so much, why didn't they trade a 4th for him when he was with the Panthers or sign him as a UFA?

Anaheim liked him so much they offered 3.65 million for 3 years. While everyone else got one year contracts like Klingberg. Verbeek was super smart with this one. Vatrano has been pretty awesome for the ducks with the role he has

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad