Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Lightning, Thursday Night

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I'm not sure it's accurate to say we need to go (insert record here) to make the playoffs. We don't know that. Tampa is looking to go on an unstoppable winning streak. I don't think 7-4-3 or something like that is frankly going to be good enough to make it.

It's not over if they can't win tonight, but it's almost over. We utterly ****ed up during the California road trip. Got one point and lost all 3 games. Then we got on a win streak to even that out. We can't make it winning 3 and losing 3.

They have to beat Tampa or it is basically over. Boston isn't slowing down, Tampa isn't slowing down. The Islanders are a clear threat as well. The Leafs have to play their best hockey of the year or they aren't getting in.

If they can't beat a team they are directly battling for a spot, that's it.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
I just find it funny how so many people think our playoff chances are over (good portion of them are probably the doom and gloom posters that thought our team would be bottom 3 again). Leafs are 1pt behind with 1 less game played. They beat TBay in regulation they're in a great position. Hell, even if we lose we'll be 3pts back with a game in hand on Tbay with another game against them.

A win here would be huge, but even this game is not season ending so stop with all the doom and gloom in the GDT please! :laugh:

On to the actual game. TBL are grinding out wins so I hope our skill is evident in this one as, with their injuries, we are definitely the more skilled team. Gotta work on our team defense and we better come out flying for once after that **** show last night.

Edit: Gotta shut down Drouin, Kucherov, and Hedman. A tough task, but after that their offensive talent takes a significant dip.

Haha bro chill.
I want them to make it I'm just a cynic.

They're playing win 1 lose 1 hockey. That's not a playoff team

Here's hoping Freddy puts up a .950 and we can't lose down the stretch

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Haha bro chill.
I want them to make it I'm just a cynic.

They're playing win 1 lose 1 hockey. That's not a playoff team

Here's hoping Freddy puts up a .950 and we can't lose down the stretch

If we win this game, we're in a great spot. Just gotta hope they can go on a run. Win this game and that's 4 out of 5. Then Chicago at home, we can win that game.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
This isn't a playoff team

They haven't played well in quite a while and have no urgency. Isle and Tb have.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Our goalies are average.

Our D simply sucks.

Our rookie forwards at least try hard.

Our vet forwards are on again off again, mostly off!

Our 1st overall, franchise player, has sunk into a deep sleep.

Our coach is a stubborn S.O.B. with his stupid lineup choices.

Our chances of seeing a playoff series is dwindling by the day.

I fully expect more pain, and, another loss in Florida!

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Our goalies are average.

Our D simply sucks.

Our rookie forwards at least try hard.

Our vet forwards are on again off again, mostly off!

Our 1st overall, franchise player, has sunk into a deep sleep.

Our coach is a stubborn S.O.B. with his stupid lineup choices.

Our chances of seeing a playoff series is dwindling by the day.

I fully expect more pain, and, another loss in Florida!

I don't think I would want to be your friend

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
You better believe well be firing on all cylinders

Babcock tore them a new ******* after they took advantage of his days off and laid an egg.

They are gonna come out with a furiosity tonight

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
You better believe well be firing on all cylinders

Babcock tore them a new ******* after they took advantage of his days off and laid an egg.

They are gonna come out with a furiosity tonight

What? The game is tonight? I thought it was tomorrow night.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
I do like what Gards said today after practice.

Masters asked him why it's easier to move on after a bad loss this season compared to previous.

Gards replied that it's because they're in the hunt. Not wanting to sulk but move on and get back to work.

That's the right mentality just need to go do it

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
we were the worst team in the nhl, last year. we got a taste of how things would be when we got a chance to see some of the grads. 80% of the roster got turned in to genuine Home Grown Talent. minus zats. but I feel like hes been a leaf for a couple years now.

this year we have overachieved to the point the believers turned from probably gonna be a bad year to expecting it. the fact we have come this far is remarkable as it is. the way I see it if we make it then great if not we get another decent first rounder. could be worse.

I just think this is a great year, gives everyone a idea how lofty the expectations are in T.O. the rooks are taking claim to the team.

don't get me wrong id like to see em go on a streak but this whole doom and gloom is just ridiculous. we have had some great hockey to watch.

at least we don't have to deal with bishop anymore. I think we will take it atleast hope they do. we shall see tommorow

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Top 9 needs a shakeup. Over our last 22 games we have 8 wins, 14 losses. We've been outscored in regulation 86 to 44. That's a long stretch of games where we've truly sucked, but we've still made almost zero changes to the top 9, mostly just swapping Nylander and Brown occasionally.

Time to try a more radical switch, like putting Marner and Matthews together. I'd LOVE to see us try something like:

Leivo - Matthews - Marner
JvR - Bozak - Nylander
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Hyman - Boyle - Martin

A top 6 that can really score, and a bottom 6 that can really defend (that 3rd line could score a bit too).

Sure, this is a "growth" year, making the playoffs would be a bonus, but it would also be a great experience for the young players, and for the long suffering fans. We're so close to a playoff spot, why not take some risks and give it a legit shot? I feel like we'll miss if we stay with the same tired line combos, that really have no been looking good over the last couple months. What's the harm in taking a risk?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If leivo doesnt play this game than the media has to call babcock out. He needs to be reinserted in the lineup aND play with Matthews

insert Leivo YES

expect Leivo to have a huge impact right away? ummmm.... may be

Reason: He has been sitting his behind for a while even after performing well. Leivo probably has no motivation to play well because "whats the point, babcock will sit him anyway" and even if Leivo wants to play well - will be hard for him to straight up come in and perform after sitting for so many games.

THEN

all the hyman lovers come in and ruin the gdt and pgt claiming Leivo isn't good enough after one game.

My head: EXPLODES with ridiculous posts....

#FutureEvents

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Would love to see Marchenko and Leivo in. Shake everything up.

Leivo - Matthews - Marner
Komarov - Kadri - Nylander
JVR - Bozak - Brown
Hyman - Boyle - Sosh

Gardiner - Zaitsev
Rielly - Marchenko
Hunwick - Polak

Would take Carrick over Marchenko if he is ready to go. Only reason for Hyman/Sosh over Martin is their PK skills.

there is no reason for both hyman and brown to play. If it was me I scratch hyman.

PK duties:
Komarov-Brown
Sosh-Boyle/Kadri/Marner/Bozak

If it was me I would roll with:

JVR-Matthews-Brown
Nylander-Bozak-Marner
Komarov-Kadri-Leivo
Martin-Boyle-Sosh

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
The absolute best lines IMO (If you had to include Hyman/Martin):
I just think Babcock has to utilize the Matthews line in a more two-way than the kinda sheltered role.
Komarov - Kadri - Marner (Two-way)
Leivo - Matthews - Nylander (Two-way)
JVR - Bozak - Brown (Sheltered)
Hyman - Boyle - Martin (Defensive, two-way)
Scratched: Soshnikov

Gardiner - Zaistev (Equal top-4 usage)
Rielly - Marchenko (Equal top-4 usage)
Marincin/Hunwick - Carrick/Polak (14 minutes a game, nowhere near the ice last 5 minutes).
Scratched: Polak immediately after Carrick's back and a toss-up between Marincin Hunwick.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
I like for the kids to get some playoff experience so I would be inclined to use the vets a bit more. I think this would be the best lineup:

Hyman-Mathews-Komarov (Hard working line)
JVR-Bozak-Marner (Chemistry)
Brown-Kadri-Smith (Shutdown line)
Martin-Boyle-Nylander (Some offense and defense)

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
If leivo doesnt play this game than the media has to call babcock out. He needs to be reinserted in the lineup aND play with Matthews

Yup, Leivo is the latest non-playing saviour now that Corrado is gone. Ah the HF Board loves those not actually playing and hates those that are.

Very odd sampling of fans here.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Both isles and Tb trending up, we aren't.

What? The Isles have not been that great lately and just got blown out like 2 games ago yet they're playing with urgency and the Leafs aren't?

Many have beaten Det and Carolina . They are happy with what they have done, vet change needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad