Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Lightning, Thursday Night

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Don't need to say much more than this being a major game tomorrow night in terms of playoff positioning.

Boston has 2 games in 2 nights here that won't be easy. If they can throw up two regulation L's it'll give us a better shot in the long run.

Other important games tonight, tomorrow, and Friday:

BOS @ CAL

WIN @ NYI
FLA @ CLB
TOR @ TBL
BOS @ EDM

FLA @ NYR

Underlined teams in the thick of the Eastern Playoff chase.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
Yeah I've no hope for playoffs anymore.
Seems like everyone we're in the race with has an easier schedule and we're facing Washington and Pittsburgh every other night...

Good example ... hearing stammer might be back in the lineup for tb Thursday...

Hope springs eternal.. but bummer

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Yeah I've no hope for playoffs anymore.
Seems like everyone we're in the race with has an easier schedule and we're facing Washington and Pittsburgh every other night...

Good example ... hearing stammer might be back in the lineup for tb Thursday...

Hope springs eternal.. but bummer

I still have hope that this will come down to the last 2 games or so. I guess we'll see if we still have a chair once the music stops playing. But, Leafs have to have this game. If not, then my hope definitely dwindles by a lot.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I just find it funny how so many people think our playoff chances are over (good portion of them are probably the doom and gloom posters that thought our team would be bottom 3 again). Leafs are 1pt behind with 1 less game played. They beat TBay in regulation they're in a great position. Hell, even if we lose we'll be 3pts back with a game in hand on Tbay with another game against them.

A win here would be huge, but even this game is not season ending so stop with all the doom and gloom in the GDT please! :laugh:

On to the actual game. TBL are grinding out wins so I hope our skill is evident in this one as, with their injuries, we are definitely the more skilled team. Gotta work on our team defense and we better come out flying for once after that **** show last night.

Edit: Gotta shut down Drouin, Kucherov, and Hedman. A tough task, but after that their offensive talent takes a significant dip.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I just find it funny how so many people think our playoff chances are over (good portion of them are probably the doom and gloom posters that thought our team would be bottom 3 again). Leafs are 1pt behind with 1 less game played. They beat TBay in regulation they're in a great position. Hell, even if we lose we'll be 3pts back with a game in hand on Tbay with another game against them.

A win here would be huge, but even this game is not season ending so stop with all the doom and gloom in the GDT please! :laugh:

On to the actual game. TBL are grinding out wins so I hope our skill is evident in this one as, with their injuries, we are definitely the more skilled team. Gotta work on our team defense and we better come out flying for once after that **** show last night.

Meh, if they lose they are donezo. Not going to make the playoffs by winning 3 then losing 2. 13 games left after, when are they going to get hot? When it's too late?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
One bad game and all hope is lost?
I think the Islanders should have packed it in after allowing 8 goals. Oh wait they dont think that way.

member 262271

Will the team show up for the whole 60 minutes? We'll see..

EDIT: Showing up for the first minute would be cool too.

Last edited by a moderator:

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Meh, if they lose they are donezo. Not going to make the playoffs by winning 3 then losing 2. 13 games left after, when are they going to get hot? When it's too late?

Agreed, tomorrow is make or break. If they win I like their chances.. if they lose its hard to catch up to both bolts and islanders. Bruins are hot right now too.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Off the top of my head, the Lightning have six centres missing that they had at the start of the year. SIX. Stamkos, Johnson, Boyle, Filppula, Namestnikov, Paquette. That is utterly ridiculous, we have to win this game

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
for the most part the Leafs need to go 8-6-3 (1?) i can't remember and i'm in a rush.

we have 1 in the loss row. so it's not a "must win" - just try to get a point.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Lightning lineup looks like ****. We should win easy if we actually are a playoff team

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
for the most part the Leafs need to go 8-6-3 (1?) i can't remember and i'm in a rush.

we have 1 in the loss row. so it's not a "must win" - just try to get a point.

The X factor though is that this game is against a team they're in direct competition for a playoff spot .. It could be a potential 4 point swing if it ends in regulation.

I wouldn't say it's a "must win" but it's certainly a big opportunity that shouldn't be missed out on.

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
Would love to see Marchenko and Leivo in. Shake everything up.

Leivo - Matthews - Marner
Komarov - Kadri - Nylander
JVR - Bozak - Brown
Hyman - Boyle - Sosh

Gardiner - Zaitsev
Rielly - Marchenko
Hunwick - Polak

Would take Carrick over Marchenko if he is ready to go. Only reason for Hyman/Sosh over Martin is their PK skills.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
If I am babcock tonight I am going all bat**** crazy and swapping everything up and putting the kids out there and testing them saying you go we go.

I am running this lineup

Nylander - Matthews - Marner
Reilly - Gardiner

Let our 5 best skill guys run wild tonight and hopefully they own the puck the whole night and you don't have to worry about playing D. Reilly and Gards actually played together for a while was it last year or the year before and were an actual decent pair as they know each other so well they moved the puck with little plays and avoided getting pinned in their own zone.

play them head to head against TB best line

Komorov - Kadri - Hyman
Hunwick -Polak

use this a a defensive line and let them grind out the other teams 2nd line and hopefully chip in offensively

JVR - Bozak - Leivo
Marchenko - Zeitsev

A better D pairing to go with this line and they can dominate TB 3rd line and become our biggest scoring threat line

Martin - Boyle - Sosh
any pairing split up ice time between the 3 pairings

I would sit Hyman before Brown but we know Babs won't so no need to write Hyman out of the lineup.

I don't mind giving Brown a breather and a night sitting out won't hurt.

I really want to see that 1st group run wild

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm guessing there were some butts kicked at practice today?

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto

JVR - Bozak - Brown
Hyman - Boyle - Sosh

Gardiner - Zaitsev
Rielly - Marchenko
Hunwick - Polak

Would take Carrick over Marchenko if he is ready to go. Only reason for Hyman/Sosh over Martin is their PK skills.

This would be awesome. So much better than Babcrap's lines.

I would also be tempted to go with Dermott - Carrick over Hunlack for a playoff push.

member 262271

Lightning lineup looks like ****. We should win easy if we actually are a playoff team

Other than the easy part I totally agree. If we win it'll likely look like crap but still feel pretty damn good.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

JVR - Bozak - Brown
Hyman - Boyle - Sosh

Gardiner - Zaitsev
Rielly - Marchenko
Hunwick - Polak

I wouldnt mind this. Not Bab(whatever dumb name they attach to his name) but more like maybe Babcock should try this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad