Proposal: Leafs-Kings

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Bertuzzi returned a first and a 4th last season with pretty much the same level of production.
I ain’t saying he would return that now but to call him a cap dump is asinine.
$5,500,000
6 goals
= Cap Dump

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Bertuzzi returned a first and a 4th last season with pretty much the same level of production.
Yes that was last year.

Now its the same poor level of production for the 2nd straight year, so yes thats a capdump.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Yes that was last year.

Now its the same poor level of production for the 2nd straight year, so yes thats a capdump.
Then he had 10 points in 7 playoff games, which is why teams would be picking him up.

That being said, I've never wanted bertuzzi anywhere near this team and the only silver lining in his signing was that it was 1 year, i would give him away for free but not pay to remove him.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Exactly , with a healthy Woll, all of a sudden that roster looks great again. How is @MisterT not buying it?
As a Leaf fan my issue is including a roster fwd, we are paper thin after the big guns, if anything we need to add a LW to sure up that side.
I keep thinking the Ducks and Leafs match up, Henrique and Lybushkin seem to solve most of our issues

Reactions: Play

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
To
Kings
2024 1st
Bertuzzi @ 50% retained

To
Leafs
Roy

Kings make room on Right Defense for Clarke and Spence while also getting a 1st from 17 to 22 overall and a top 6 forward who needs a change at 50% retained. Bertuzzi could also be retained by 50% by the Kings near the deadline and sold for a 2nd + prospect if they aren't near the playoffs.

Leafs get a top 4 d to pair with Reilly and strengthen their defense and hopefully extend Roy long term.

What does everyone think ?
Value seems fair. Not sure if team needs are met...

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Yes that was last year.

That might apply if he had term. He doesn’t.

That exact level of production was worth a first last season. It might not return that this year it’s a different market. But it isn’t a cap dump either.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
If the Kings are moving Roy the 1st is a must but we shouldn’t be taking on any roster player we don’t want or need. Remove the roster player and add a prospect.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Cool. Trade Bertuzzi for a 1st. Then trade two firsts for Roy. Problem solved.
Nice strawman.
I already said he probably doesn’t return a first. I’m just pointing out it’s stupid to say that someone who returned a 1st a year ago is a cap dump now even tho he is producing at the same rate.

Really I don’t think either of our teams should be buyers right now which how they are both playing.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
I'd do it from a Leafs POV, even though I strongly suspect Bertuzzi will turn it on in the playoffs like he did last year. Having Roy is just more important than that now and in the future.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
This would be a good deal for the Kings if their goal is to miss the playoffs this year or be quickly eliminated in the 1st round if they made it in.

Those are the most likely scenarios with or without Roy.

Reactions: YP44

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I’d probably do it from the Leafs perspective if Tre is confident he can get Roy re-signed. Could make a great partner for Mo

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Those are the most likely scenarios with or without Roy.
Maybe but my viewing of Blake's press conference yesterday leads me to believe that ownership and management are singularly focused on making the playoffs. Trading Roy does not advance that goal.

Reactions: go4hockey

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
To
Kings
2024 1st
Bertuzzi @ 50% retained

To
Leafs
Roy

Kings make room on Right Defense for Clarke and Spence while also getting a 1st from 17 to 22 overall and a top 6 forward who needs a change at 50% retained. Bertuzzi could also be retained by 50% by the Kings near the deadline and sold for a 2nd + prospect if they aren't near the playoffs.

Leafs get a top 4 d to pair with Reilly and strengthen their defense and hopefully extend Roy long term.

What does everyone think ?
Leafs retain AND add a 1st to Bertuzzi (UFA), for a UFA ...I dont think so

a retained Bert is more than 'fair' value ...I'd say a 1st alone is overpayment for Roy.
He's good, but, not a game changer.

Plus, the Leafs brought in Bert specifically for the playoffs, so, even though he's been underwhelming all season long, I doubt he gets moved.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Maybe but my viewing of Blake's press conference yesterday leads me to believe that ownership and management are singularly focused on making the playoffs. Trading Roy does not advance that goal.
Actually when asked about Roy's expriring contract he specifically he said that wins and losses will dictate that decision.

If they can't get that ball rolling before the deadline, he will be in play. He should be in play anyway as a first rounder + would be the return, and keeping him for what is most likely just 5 or 6 playoff games would be bad business. Of course, bad business is Blake's specialty, so who knows.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

I think you are generalizing a lot here to make this sound more outrageous than it is.

Last year, Bertuzzi was only a season removed from a year where he scored 30-goals and flirted with being a point per game player.

Despite playing on an underwhelming Red Wings roster, he was on a 40-point pace when he was traded.

Last year, split between Detroit and Boston, he had just eight goals and this year, despite high end line mates, he has just six goals and is pacing for 34 points. He's in decline for the second year in a row, so pointing to last years return, and pretending that he's producing at the same level, isn't really going to give you an accurate take on this.

I think it's extremely unlikely that the Kings would trade away one of their UFA's and acquire one in return, unless it was a cap dump situation.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Actually when asked about Roy's expriring contract he specifically he said that wins and losses will dictate that decision.

If they can't get that ball rolling before the deadline, he will be in play. He should be in play anyway as a first rounder + would be the return, and keeping him for what is most likely just 5 or 6 playoff games would be bad business. Of course, bad business is Blake's specialty, so who knows.
That's fair. My take is that the Kings are going to be in the thick of the wildcard race right up until the TDL and I don't see two of Nashville, St. Louis, or Seattle passing them by. Time will tell.

Reactions: go4hockey

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
As a Kings fan....thinks its very reasonable. Could maybe swap Bertuzzi with a top prospect- Kings traditionally done well with Grundstrom and Trevor Moore.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
Leafs retain AND add a 1st to Bertuzzi (UFA), for a UFA ...I dont think so

a retained Bert is more than 'fair' value ...I'd say a 1st alone is overpayment for Roy.
He's good, but, not a game changer.

Plus, the Leafs brought in Bert specifically for the playoffs, so, even though he's been underwhelming all season long, I doubt he gets moved.
a 1st alone is an overpayment? have you seen what RHD get during the trade deadline. youre delusional if you think you dont get roy for 1st plus.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Nice strawman.
I already said he probably doesn’t return a first. I’m just pointing out it’s stupid to say that someone who returned a 1st a year ago is a cap dump now even tho he is producing at the same rate.

Really I don’t think either of our teams should be buyers right now which how they are both playing.
Bertuzzi at 5.5M is a bonafide capdump!! This is a fact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad