Seravalli: Leafs, Kings, Penguins, Devils, Hurricanes, Senators, all fits for Hellebyuck.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
We also don't have assets for Helle if Winnipeg is looking for a hockey trade. I think Helle in Buffalo can be forgotten.
I think you are selling the Sabres assets short.

UPL and 1 of their talented NHL forwards who can't crack their top 2 lines could easily form the base of a deal in my view.

Reactions: Heldig

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Does it make sense for Toronto? Ilya Samsonov was terrific. If you can lock him in on a 3-5 year deal in the 3.75-4.5 range, does that not make more sense than paying a 31+ year old (by the time the extension kicks in) probably 9M+? - On top of giving up the 1st round pick AND a 40 goal scorer.

And not like Samsonov is some random. He's always had potential to be a really good goalie. And he's finding his stride in Toronto working with Sanford.

Leafs are going to be linked to every big name this summer, but I don't think this is an avenue Toronto should go down.
Samsonov may be a stud. He has a good resume and Russian goalies are on a bit of a roll. But, I'm looking for a Joseph or Belfour. Someone like Bobrovsky or Price, that when he is at his best can win you the cup by himself. Not someone that can look good behind a good defense, but someone who looks good no matter who is playing in front of him.

I think Samsonov had a good year, but I'm really not sure what level of play he'll bring into his new contract.

I didn't mean I would trade Nylander, Samsonov and a 1st for Hellebuyck on his own. I was just listing them as pieces the Leafs could dangle individually or in a package for Helle.

A #1 goalie and a late 1st or Nylander - with extensions done both ways or a Nylander + Samsonov for Hellebuyck + Dubois trade. Should probably have an extension in place or see if they're willing to seriously negotiate before a trade on both sides for that one too.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Helle will be a valuable trade piece this summer

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Yes they do, goalies don't have high trade value for some reason that I've never been able to understand.
I mean not really when you consider the Kings have traded their last two firsts and guys like Byfield and Turcotte have yet to live up to expectations for a variety of reasons. They’re also in a cap crunch and are looking at possibly having to move assets with Petersen to get another team to take him and potentially moving valuable contributors from their middle six to be able to re-sign Gavrikov.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
There is definitely a deal to be made with Toronto. They have a goalie replacement (Samsonov) another pending UFA star player (Nylander) and a 2023 1st rd. pick.

There is a deal here that makes sense.

Nylander for Hellebyuck isn't going to happen, goalies don't bring back 40 goal scorers.

Now if it was Hellebyuck+ Ehlers

For Nylander + whatever it ended up being that a little different because you aren't creating a giant gaping hole on offense.

If Nylander is involved it's a blockbuster and it's not Nylander for Hellebyuck

Reactions: ITM and Bluenotes27

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Is he not willing to re-sign with the Jets?

Not sure yet, but if traded he would be. So many good teams out there with bad goalies killing their chances. The bidding could get crazy, if it’s good enough I might trade him even if he wants to resign

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
I think you are selling the Sabres assets short.

UPL and 1 of their talented NHL forwards who can't crack their top 2 lines could easily form the base of a deal in my view.

Actually I think you are selling the Sabres assets short.

Perhaps you haven't heard of Devon Levi. Also perhaps you haven't considered the Sabres are currently not even a playoff team / haven't entered their window (ie not a great timeline fit for a 30yo goaltender)

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Shouldn’t the Leafs get certainty on Matthews before going after Hellybuck?
If they have trade Matthews before July 1 then their direction might change too.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He's better, but for how long? He's 30 and I think needs another contract next year. Woll is 24, and Sammy is 25, which is more inline with the core.

30 for a goalie isn't the same as 30 for a forward or D.

Goalies can and do play at a high level until 38, 39, 40.

Look at Brodeur, Roy, Hasek, Belfour, MAF Sawchuck, Bower, Thomas.

They have been doing it for decades.

30 for a goalie is different if you can get Hellebyuck you do it.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Nylander for Hellebyuck isn't going to happen, goalies don't bring back 40 goal scorers.

Now if it was Hellebyuck+ Ehlers

For Nylander + whatever it ended up being that a little different because you aren't creating a giant gaping hole on offense.

If Nylander is involved it's a blockbuster and it's not Nylander for Hellebyuck
If Nylander was willing to waive for Winnipeg and sign, there could be a blockbuster. Nylander + Samsonov + for Hellebuyck + one of Ehlers/Scheifele/Dubois +. Starter + 1st line forward for starter + 1st line forward. The Leafs can't trade those two young assets and lose both the incoming players to FA so there would have to be some pre-trade negotiations, with Ehlers you do get the extra year.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Shouldn’t the Leafs get certainty on Matthews before going after Hellybuck?
If they have trade Matthews before July 1 then their direction might change too.

Hellebuyck probably isn't getting traded until after July 1st. Unless a team blows the Jets out of the water with a high pick the draft doesn't matter.

The ability to discuss an extension will be key for some teams if the Jets can't re-sign him.

Reactions: Fatass

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad