Post-Game Talk: Leafs Kept Calm, Proved Corsi Wrong & Still #1 in the Atlantic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
we had this conversation before.. I don't like it, and personally after seeing Eric Stall get kneed at the World Championships earlier this year, I think that is something you have to take into consideration.

If [insert Leaf's player name here] makes Team [Insert Country Name Here] and got seriously, utterly hurt as in - totally gone for the rest of the season - are you REALLY going to be "oh, well, you know - at least they made Team [?]. I get that's worst case scenario, but if that costs us a playoff spot...

wulfio*

Leafs > Team Canada IMO.

Would you not be pissed if Kessel got a serious injury playing for team USA?

No, because I know the immense pride Kessel must feel to wear his nations jersey, and what an extreme honour it would be to represent his country. Life happens, and I have nothing but the utmost respect for players playing in the Olympics. Olympic hockey will always be more important than NHL hockey to me.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
The Olympics is the greatest hockey tournament in the world, I love my leags but I am a much bigger fan of team Canada.

And I would love nothing more then to have some of our leafs represent my country, most exciting hockey in the world, country vs country, its amazing I have no idea how how anyone could not be a fan.

I bleed blue and white during the season and playoffs, but I bleed red and white year round baby.

CANADA CANADA....I'm so excited lol.

I think Lupul bernier and phaneuf have the best shot at making the Canadian team, with Kessel being a lock for the Americans.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Any game by an NHL player that isn't part of their team's regular season or playoffs is meaningless.

The Summit Series was great. It had meaning. And it's been downhill for international hockey ever since then.

Does. Not. Compute.

Apparently any not NHL game doesn't have meaning, but the summit series had meaning. Keep talking yourself into a corner

DoubleDouble*

we had this conversation before.. I don't like it, and personally after seeing Eric Stall get kneed at the World Championships earlier this year, I think that is something you have to take into consideration.

If [insert Leaf's player name here] makes Team [Insert Country Name Here] and got seriously, utterly hurt as in - totally gone for the rest of the season - are you REALLY going to be "oh, well, you know - at least they made Team [?]. I get that's worst case scenario, but if that costs us a playoff spot...

I am okay with that risk. International is more important to me than the Leafs.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
RGj6pX.gif

Bahahahaha looks like ric flair

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I get what Bowen was saying about Lupul - his finishing really hasn't been that great. Given the number of chances he has had, if he was absolutely on top of his game, he would have had 3 more goals by now.

Lupul is just a very complete player. He has been so successful because he can score every way, and from everywhere. His physical game has been just as good as it was last year. If the man can stay healthy, it will be HUGE for us. Him and PK are an excellent 1-2 punch.

Kadri was great tonight. He had some turnovers, but that is expected from a player who is as creative as him. His best play of the night was that diving deflection in the defensive zone IMO.

Can't wait till Clarkson is back. That line will be INSANE.

yeah, Loops is really a second off the play.
again: we are winning the games playing not so well (I honestly think this was one heck of a game team wise, outside the 1st period). when we get our personnel back and actually start to gel? go. us.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Does. Not. Compute.

Apparently any not NHL game doesn't have meaning, but the summit series had meaning. Keep talking yourself into a corner

The summit series had a different sort of meaning in that Canada's best (in the NHL) had never had the chance to take on the dominant Soviet Union team. It was something different. And I could probably get interested again in international hockey, if it was more rare -- say, hold a best on best every 20 years and otherwise, never bother with it.

But, yes, in some ways, it's a bit hypocritical.

There's also a difference in how you view things like that when you're 11 than when you're 52.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Lupul has 6 pts already. I know it doesn't feel that way.

Silent hero for the leafs. Doing the right thing at the right time.

Btw, other half of goaltending leaders. Look at the number of goalies that were Leafs at some point:

lUAxVnN.png

wulfio*

Gold Medal for Canada or Stanley Cup for the Leafs?

To me...that's a stupid question. My answer will always be the Leafs.

That's your prerogative. To me gold is more important.

Leafs For Life*

Gold Medal for Canada or Stanley Cup for the Leafs?

To me...that's a stupid question. My answer will always be the Leafs.

If Leafs were some powerhouse and Team Canada hadn't won in 40+ years, then your opinion would probably be different

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
That's your prerogative. To me gold is more important.

How is Gold important?

I don't need Team Canada to win the Gold for me to believe that Canada has the best hockey players.

Even if we don't win the next three Olympics, there is no disputing that Canadians have the best hockey players in the world.

Sheer number of stars on Team Canada vs. any other team should be a good indication.

If the Leafs got to the SC Final and lost...I'd be very very disappointed. If Team Canada loses in the Olympics...I'll hate it for about an hour before getting over it.

Maybe I am one of the few that puts the Leafs above Team Canada?

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
rielly with those hands, passing, puck skills and speed...i dont no why it took randy so long to put him on PP...puts him there bam assist

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
If Leafs were some powerhouse and Team Canada hadn't won in 40+ years, then your opinion would probably be different

Well, I know it wouldn't make a difference to me. I might be a little more interested in how Team Canada would do if they were an underdog, but I would still rather have the Leafs win the Cup.

To me, the Leafs are a real team -- whereas Team Canada is pretty much a random collection of players who happen to be born in the same country.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
How is Gold important?

I don't need Team Canada to win the Gold for me to believe that Canada has the best hockey players.

Even if we don't win the next three Olympics, there is no disputing that Canadians have the best hockey players in the world.

Sheer number of stars on Team Canada vs. any other team should be a good indication.

If the Leafs got to the SC Final and lost...I'd be very very disappointed. If Team Canada loses in the Olympics...I'll hate it for about an hour before getting over it.

Probably poll worthy so we don't derail this.

I'd vote country over club as a general rule although I think our long club drought complicates the issue

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
How is Gold important?

that's what I don't get.
we've not even been to the Finals in 47 years.

And personally I don't see why you can't win the gold medal (without nhl players), and keep the NHL players playing.... NHL Hockey (see how that works?)

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
that's what I don't get.
we've not even been to the Finals in 47 years.

And personally I don't see why you can't win the gold medal (without nhl players), and keep the NHL players playing.... NHL Hockey (see how that works?)

Its not just for us. The players want to play and that matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad