Not open for further replies.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
I'm just waiting for the day when the top 4 D pairings will be

Phaneuf - Rielly

Franson - Gardiner

wulfio*

How is Gold important?

I don't need Team Canada to win the Gold for me to believe that Canada has the best hockey players.

Even if we don't win the next three Olympics, there is no disputing that Canadians have the best hockey players in the world.

Sheer number of stars on Team Canada vs. any other team should be a good indication.

If the Leafs got to the SC Final and lost...I'd be very very disappointed. If Team Canada loses in the Olympics...I'll hate it for about an hour before getting over it.

Maybe I am one of the few that puts the Leafs above Team Canada?

Being Canadian means more to me,

I could make the argument that why do the leafs need to win the cup? Does is validate your opinion that they are the best team to cheer for? See, dumb argument.

I grew up in rural Canada, played a lot of hockey, and before I was awoken to the realities of the city culture, Canadian pride was the most important thing.

I don't know what your back story is, and I am not asking. But you ask me why... I don't need gold to validate anything.

I want gold because we are the best, and Canada > Toronto.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
How is Gold important?

I don't need Team Canada to win the Gold for me to believe that Canada has the best hockey players.

Even if we don't win the next three Olympics, there is no disputing that Canadians have the best hockey players in the world.

Sheer number of stars on Team Canada vs. any other team should be a good indication.

If the Leafs got to the SC Final and lost...I'd be very very disappointed. If Team Canada loses in the Olympics...I'll hate it for about an hour before getting over it.

You're not! I love international hockey as well and the few weeks we get here and there but it doesn't compare to a full NHL season to me at all. It's not even close for me.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Go go top of the division!!

pft we've been there since the 1st ;) keep up!
had LA had not blown it we would have had a 5 point lead up on Ottawa. Montreal's winning so that's moot, unless Edmonton wakes up (4 point lead), Tampa's pulled in within 2 points, and a 4 point lead on Boston & Detroit.

We'll be facing some tougher teams in the next two weeks (Hurricanes (I know), Ducks, Hawks & Penguins). I'd really like to get some points against Oilers, Wild, Oilers (again) and Flames. [flat out beat Hurricanes, I don't mind how we shake out against Pittsburgh, it's always a fun game], and this is one darned good October.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Its not just for us. The players want to play and that matters

Then they could arrange their contracts such that they have no NHL commitments in Olympic years and go off and play for their country. I'd have far more respect for them. Right now they want their cake and to eat it too.

Kessely Snipes

Great White North
Oct 16, 2011
Regina, SK
Gold Medal for Canada or Stanley Cup for the Leafs?

To me...that's a stupid question. My answer will always be the Leafs.

I love team Canada as much as the next guy, but I would agree with this. Team Canada won gold in 2010, don't need to remind anyone the last time we won the Stanley cup.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
white_dance_club.gif

omfg this is freakishly mesmerizing as many are saying :laugh:

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Why the hell are we talking about Bernier playing on Team Canada?

That's outrageous after 3 games, even for Leaf fans.

Embarrassing.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 6m

People remember how good James Reimer's first month with the Leafs was, right?

Lol, Mirtle playing the debbie downer as usual. What a *** toolbox...even by Toronto sports journalist standards.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
It has nothing to do with the NHL or winning the Stanley Cup. In my mind, if players want to play in the Olympics, they should arrange their contracts such that they're not in the NHL that year.
We already know it's not the NHL, and good luck with that contract fantasy.

But it is pretty meaningless -- doesn't really prove anything. Was Team Canada really better than Team USA in 2010 because of a flukey goal.
I don't know, was Chicago really better than Boston this June because of what some call a fluky last two minutes? No one cares how they go in, as long as they do.

It's easy to call anything meaningless. What exactly does it take to give a game meaning in your world?

It's also thrown together phoney teams. I also hate the way that with NHLers in there, hockey overshadows everything else in the Olympics. The hype over Olympic hockey in 2010 and the nonsense about Canda needing to win gold almost had me cheering against them. However, winning the men's hockey gold was going to give Canada the record for most golds won by a home nation in the Winter Olympics, so I cheered for them.
If you're truly that conflicted, I suggest not watching.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
How is Gold important?

When I was 10 the Leafs had recently won the cup, I have been at, watched on tv, or listened to the vast majority of Leaf games since the. I have seen several Canadian international wins and have been thrilled by them. I want a Cup.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Ironically, I think if you took NHL players out of the equation, and asked
what was more important "Leafs or Olympic Gold" it would be evenly split. (or whatever came first).

because do not get me wrong. I was that girl who burst into tears when Canada FINALLY won in 2002. and jumping up and down, and belting out oh Canada. (i may or may not have been more reserved in 2010 LOL). How.ev.er. You can win gold medals without the NHL being there. (it would be on the IOC to enforce that no NHL players - or currently contracted players) were on the team. they do it for soccer, and they were actually contemplating doing it for Baseball/Softball should it make it back to the Olympics in Tokyo.

I'd like the Leafs to win the cup while I'm still young enough to party LOL

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
what would be better? leafs winning the cup, because i know canada winning gold is something that will happen lmao.

The olympics is a big deal tho.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
really, that's what you're worried about?

I am shocked by the lack of patriotism.

Every Canadian hockey player grows up dreaming of wearing the white and red. Every one of them romanticizes the summit series. Did you people not play hockey growing up?

Pretty sure every player anywhere grows up dreaming of hoisting the Stanley Cup!

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Lol, Mirtle playing the debbie downer as usual. What a *** toolbox...even by Toronto sports journalist standards.

Call him what you want.

Talking about Bernier for Sochi is ridiculous.

3 games. Keep it all in check. Stellar game by Bernier again, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
what would be better? leafs winning the cup, because i know canada winning gold is something that will happen lmao.

The olympics is a big deal tho.

Yep. Even Sundin after winning Olympic gold said that he wouldn't hesitate to trade in his medal for a Leaf Stanley Cup ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad