Friedman: Leafs/Isles in on Tyson Barrie,

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
You don't know how much Leafs management like Liljgren. They were both shocked and thrilled when he fell to 17. Couple that with the plan to build and develop through the draft and i'm not convinced they would "easily" trade Liljgren+1st for Barrie.

Now i know the response will be "top scoring Dman....points.....points...", well, points are great, but the Leafs need defense.
Can you please try to spell his name correctly?

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
I watched Girard in Shawinigin with Beauvillier, He's a very good player. I'm a fan.

If he was offered to the Avs over the summer, they would have been scolded. Avs fans were incessant about acquiring a future #1D for their current #1C. Nothing less was good enough and that was only the start of the deal.
Girard is good and the Avs made out like bandits in the deal

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Pretty much the only single thing you were right about is the LHD bit.

You didn't get a Barzal/Hanifin/Chabot level prospect or young player, which you demanded just about every chance you got. That was your biggest sticking point.

"No Chabot no deal"

"Barzal isn't a future #1D so we also need Pulock/Hamonic+Sorokin+1st too"

You were wrong. Plain and simple.

My main argument last summer was that those blue chippers don't go for declining players who are short on term.

That was proven to be 100% true.

Girard is a nice consolation, but he is not that level of player.

Give it up.
Girard is and always was better than Chabot. Chabot is lazy and passive

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
You were not wrong about the LHD bit, but you were certainly not correct about the level of prospect you expected, so don't be disingenuous and act as if Girard is now that level of prospect since becoming and Av.

You're not Googling my post history, so you'll make up a flat out lie instead.

I never said Avs would never get a better deal than the Hamonic one. That's absolute BS. My entire argument was based on the Barzal/Chabot/Hanifin level player and Duchene's lack of term being the reason that wouldn't happen. My argument was previous trade history showed Duchene would go for futures, prospects and first round picks and none would be that top elite quality.

That was proven correct.

So now, because you didn't get an elite prospect you elevate Girard to that status to claim you were right. What a joke.
Girard is elite

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Y’all are clowns. Duchene isn’t all that great anyway and not really a good fit on Ottawa. This thread is about Tyson Barrie and the fact that he’s getting traded to the Leafs!! See you in the blue and white soon Tyson whewwwwww!!!
As an Avs fan 1 can only hope this happens sooner rather than later

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
I mean that is great that Barrie puts up points, that is fantastic, that is also the reason I have said many, many times he is not my first choice.

Now I am not like most Leaf fans, I don't care if they guy is a LHD or a RHD, or if he is an offensive D man o r a defensive D man, all I care about is that he is a legitimate top 4 D man, that is it, and so I would welcome Barrie to Toronto because he is, without question a top 4 D man.

That said you don't get to use points in an argument for Tyson Barrie, because while Barrie can put up points, Morgan, Rielly, Jake Gardiner and Nikita Zaitsev all do that too, they all generate scoring from the back end, so your points argument is kind of useless, If we get Barrie, we aren't getting him for offense, that is just a bonus.

and here is the other thing, the Leafs hold all the cards here, because they don't need to make a deal for Barrie right now, or in the summer, or ever, the Market is actually looking like it is about to get flooded with D men either now, or by the draft lets take a look shall we?

Tyson Barrie, we know he is on the block, we know the Leafs are in on him along with the NYI.

Ryan Mcdonagh widely being reported to being on the block

Oilver Ekman Larson, could hit the block this summer he is a year away from UFA, and I doubt very much that Arizona will be able to sign him, and even if they can afford it I have my doubts he would want to stay on a team that has next to no hope.

John Carlson, UFA this summer

Mike Green UFA this summer

Erik Karlsson, I doubt the sens will be able to sign him, as they seem to be headed for a major rebuild, plus they have a cheap owner

Drew Doughty has talked openly about possibly testing the market, and has talked openly about his respect for Babcock, if the kings miss the playoffs, or go down early, his future gets interesting

Arizona also has Niklas Hjalmarsson who could be moved since Arizona seems to be hopeless.

that is just off the top of my head, point is this the Leafs aren't feeling any pressure to make a deal, because the market is about to flood with D men, it is all about supply and demand and right now there seems to be a lot of supply.
Barrie really isn't a #4 d on a good team , he's a liability in the defensive zone. Something around Kapanen and a 1st would suffice me

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
I didn't realize he was so small.
Are Avs fans concerned about potentially having a top 4 dcore that contains Barrie (5'10), Makar (5'10) and Girard (5'9) while playing in the West?
Chances are that Makar and Girard will grow a bit before it's said and done but I'm just curious.
(I'm looking for an actual answer, not looking to hear that Rielly, Lily and Dermott are small as well)
Avs aren't concerned because Barrie will be gone, plus Johnson is 6'4 and Zadorov 6'5 in the top 4

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
:laugh:

Oh please.
He's a #4 on a poor team #5 in reality a la Shattenkirk. When Barrie plays 20 mins a game the chances of losing increase.
Have you not noticed the Avs have been losers the last however many seasons ? He's a complimentary player not a core player

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Can you please try to spell his name correctly?
whey? Noet enouegh "E"s teo fiegure oeut wheo i"em taleking abouet?

Aepologies foer misseing aen E ine Liljegren's naeme. Hoepe thies poset filels yoeur neeed foer meore "E"s.

Not that i need to explain myself, but those of us that were schooled in some European countries (Holland for myself), and never spent a day in a North American classroom, they don't have silent letters there, so i still tend to spell words/names as they are pronounced....and when i hear his name, the middle E is not pronounced....i hope this can ease your obvious concerns about my spelling mistake, unless you can type the same post in Dutch?

Last edited:
Reactions: Patagonia

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Barries good but we need a more complete defensemen.

I still say wait for dermott

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
He's a #4 on a poor team #5 in reality a la Shattenkirk. When Barrie plays 20 mins a game the chances of losing increase.
Have you not noticed the Avs have been losers the last however many seasons ? He's a complimentary player not a core player
Ive noticed Ottawa is losing a lot too, as well as Arizona, Buffalo, Florida, etc.. I guess Karlsson, OEL, Ristolainen, Ekblad, etc.. are all bad too then right?

Reactions: cgf

hockeyviking

Jan 8, 2012
malmo

Aepologies foer misseing aen E ine Liljegren's naeme. Hoepe thies poset filels yoeur neeed foer meore "E"s.

Not that i need to explain myself, but those of us that were schooled in some European countries (Holland for myself), and never spent a day in a North American classroom, they don't have silent letters there, so i still tend to spell words/names as they are pronounced....and when i hear his name, the middle E is not pronounced....i hope this can ease your obvious concerns about my spelling mistake, unless you can type the same post in Dutch?
There isnt a silent e in his name, IT is pronounced they way its speld Liljegren. And i am fr.o.m. Sweden.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

There were a lot of reasons why the Avs were losers the last however many seasons. Tyson Barrie wasn't one of them.

Reactions: cgf

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
There isnt a silent e in his name, IT is pronounced they way its speld Liljegren. And i am fr.o.m. Sweden.
All good, when people say his name to me, it's Lilj-gren. And this is humor, but you Swedes are the silent letter Kings!!:laugh:

Bottom line, i will do my best to spell his name correctly as to not offend anyone.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I think Barrie is a much better fit on the Islanders than the Leafs.
He could be a big offensive add on their back-end.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

I don't even know where to start with this.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Tone it down on Barrie...we want to dump him onto a team like the Leafs. :laugh:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Avs aren't concerned because Barrie will be gone, plus Johnson is 6'4 and Zadorov 6'5 in the top 4

AVs likely draft position is mid-teens which is loaded with big DMen.

So with EJ, Zadorov and Nemeth already on the team...Meloche and possibly 2018-pick, they'll be fine.

Just don't get anymore small DMen...:wave:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad