Friedman: Leafs/Isles in on Tyson Barrie,

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
As a Habs fan, I have no skin in the game...

But:

Ho-Sang/Beauvillier/MDC/1st for Barrie?

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I don't really understand why we're in on Barrie. We need lefties a lot more than we need righties. Unless Pulock is going the other way, which I would not be happy about. Or Boychuk is more seriously hurt than we realize, but he's on the current road trip and it's been rumored he'll be ready to play after the all-star break.

Sorry, not buying it.

Reactions: SI90

Batrous

May 4, 2016
It would be a mistake for the Leafs to be acquiring Barrie. He isn't the type of defenceman that the Leafs need in my opinion. He is a really good defenceman but his style of game wouldn't be something that Toronto needs more of on the back end.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I don't really understand why we're in on Barrie. We need lefties a lot more than we need righties. Unless Pulock is going the other way, which I would not be happy about. Or Boychuk is more seriously hurt than we realize, but he's on the current road trip and it's been rumored he'll be ready to play after the all-star break.

Sorry, not buying it.
Any interest in something around Pulock+ for Gardiner? The Leafs need to trade a LHD for RHD at some point.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Any interest in something around Pulock+ for Gardiner? The Leafs need to trade a LHD for RHD at some point.

No, we'd be looking to add to our defense. Pulock is playing like a top-4 defenseman, ideally we'd like to put someone next to Mayfield. Gardiner would be a nice add, but Pulock+ is a ridiculous request. Gardiner is good but he isn't THAT good.

EDIT: Whoa, didn't realize Gardiner had strong seasons offensively the last two years. Still no, but I'm more impressed than I originally thought.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Yikes.
Barrie is a great player but he doesn't fit the mold for what the Leafs need and after the fleecing the Avs put on Ottawa, I'd rather stay away.
He's all your, NYI!

If the priority is to use three solid pairs instead of finding a top pair partner for Rielly, then they could easily fit Barrie into the lineup.

Rielly-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Barrie

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

Sorry, not buying it.

You don't believe this rumor, because you're personally unhappy at the prospect of trading Pulock?

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
If the priority is to use three solid pairs instead of finding a top pair partner for Rielly, then they could easily fit Barrie into the lineup.

Rielly-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Barrie

For the price you're paying to acquire and the cap hit, Barrie won't be on the bottom pairing. Especially on our defense.
He's just not the type of defenseman the Leafs should be going after.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
He is only a year younger than gardiner? with 1.5 million dollar cap hit for only 1 more year..... Not sure why we would give up a lot? anyway why would the AVs get rid of him?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
what does colorado want besides a 2C for barrie? if they could get another 1st for barrie that's be great

Last edited:

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
For the price you're paying to acquire and the cap hit, Barrie won't be on the bottom pairing. Especially on our defense.
He's just not the type of defenseman the Leafs should be going after.

If Barrie's there, it's not a bottom pairing. Like I said, three solid pairings instead of using a sheltered third pairing.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
He is only a year younger than gardiner? with 1.5 million dollar cap hit for only 1 more year..... Not sure why we would give up a lot? anyway why would the AVs get rid of him?
Makar, Timmins and Meloche are all right handed. All good prospects.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Since the Avs are in a playoff run, not sure why they would be trading Barrie. Assuming that Avs want "immediate help" for Barrie, not sure what the Leafs could offer without hurting their lineup now. Doesn't seem like a real fit for both teams.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
We need help on the right side but what we need more than that, is another big, mobile D with a good stick that can win battles down low....or someone who is a clear upgrade over Gardiner and capable of carrying a top-pairing (OEL, McDonagh).

Barrie does not fit either criteria. He's, at best, a useful luxury but not a need. Doesn't make much sense in terms of needs but if the acquisition cost is low, I'd be open to it. The reality is, whatever we have on our bottom-pairing (Polak, Carrick) is not good enough.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Going to love reading what Leaf fans are willing to offer for Barrie. Should be a good one folks.
I don't know what management would offer, but personally I wouldn't offer anything.
The Leafs need a defenceman who can play defense. We have enough offense up front and on the back-end. We need someone to keep the puck out of the net and that's far from Barrie's calling card.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad