Friedman: Leafs/Isles in on Tyson Barrie,

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
So beyond the bickering, can some Colorado and neutral fans try and post a view objective scouting reports on Barrie? I actually don't know much about the player.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
So beyond the bickering, can some Colorado and neutral fans try and post a view objective scouting reports on Barrie? I actually don't know much about the player.

Read the last page. We really already have. One of the very best puck moving defensmen and top 5v5 point producing defensmen in the league. Look at the stats. Has great vision and can get the puck moving forward effectively. Not a great PP QB though and doesn’t have the greatest shot, although it’s not bad. Tends to get outmuscled in his own zone due to size but has good hands and great skater. He’s not a world beater on defense but holds up well enough that his offense far outweighs his defensive inefficiencies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Tyson Barrie is a smaller but reasonably stout dman who's excellent skating and good hands let him cover for his aggressive play with the puck and use his stick effectively against it. He's not a particularly great passer...especially when he's stationary; though he can be very clever with his passing when he's on the move...and he has a good but not great shot that he gets on net effectively. But all that just adds up to the ~40 point player Tyson was last year when Bednar put a leash on Barrie and tried to turn him into a get-it-&-move-it passer who didn't get to hold onto the puck for long.

What makes him such a special 5on5 threat is his ability to dance around forecheckers and create chaos with the puck on his stick. One of his first nicknames in colorado was "the great escape" because he was at his most dangerous when he had a player...or better yet, two...barreling at him in his own zone until a stunning maneuver would leave him freed from his pursuers and marching up ice with numbers; having blown up the forechecking structure and thrown the opposition into disarray. This season Bednar has been letting Barrie be Barrie a lot more and the result was the second leading blueline scorer at the time of his injury.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riseonfire

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
Tyson Barrie is a former 3rd round pick by the Colorado Avalanche from the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, the Avs first 3 picks that year were Matt Duchene, Ryan O'Reilly, and Stefan Elliott.

Barrie is a right handed shooting defenseman who is offensively minded, over the last 4 years he has averaged just under 50 points a season (over 82 games), with a career high 53 points in 2014-2015. He is not the most physical player and is not the greatest defender but the good heavily outweighs the bad. Over the last 2-3 years he has become more competent defensively.

He is a legitimate powerplay quarterback. Solid passer and a nice slap shot from the point. He also likes to join the rush and be a extra forward in the offensive zone. He has been quite healthy throughout his career so far never missing more than 8 games in a season (until this year with a broken hand).

Reactions: Riseonfire

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
This seems like much ado about nothing. I can't realistically see the Avs trading Barrie at the deadline. I am not sure how the Leafs and Isles match up if they are even interested.

The Leafs won't trade Matthews, Nylander, or Marner for Barrie. Kadri seems doubtful if the Avs were interested. The Avs are unlikely to have interest in Gardner or Liljegren (for obvious reasons based on the Avs' organizational depth chart). JVR is a pending UFA, so he would not be the basis for a deal either.

The Isles have Pulock, who is unlikely to interest the Avs (see above, in reference to Liljegren). Nelson is a pending UFA and would not be the central piece. I don't believe that MDC holds much value at the moment in terms of a prime trading chip and Ho-Sang seems like an unlikely Avs target. Aho is obviously not a central piece in a Barrie trade and is unlikely to sway such a trade in the Avs' eyes.

Maybe Sorokin? But he is in the middle of a new KHL deal and his NHL future are in doubt (even if the Isles were interested in trading him).

The teams seem like bad fits in terms of what the Avs would want and what the other teams would be willing to give up.

Reactions: Pure

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
This seems like much ado about nothing. I can't realistically see the Avs trading Barrie at the deadline. I am not sure how the Leafs and Isles match up if they are even interested.

The Leafs won't trade Matthews, Nylander, or Marner for Barrie. Kadri seems doubtful if the Avs were interested. The Avs are unlikely to have interest in Gardner or Liljegren (for obvious reasons based on the Avs' organizational depth chart). JVR is a pending UFA, so he would not be the basis for a deal either.

The Isles have Pulock, who is unlikely to interest the Avs (see above, in reference to Liljegren). Nelson is a pending UFA and would not be the central piece. I don't believe that MDC holds much value at the moment in terms of a prime trading chip and Ho-Sang seems like an unlikely Avs target. Aho is obviously not a central piece in a Barrie trade and is unlikely to sway such a trade in the Avs' eyes.

Maybe Sorokin? But he is in the middle of a new KHL deal and his NHL future are in doubt (even if the Isles were interested in trading him).

The teams seem like bad fits in terms of what the Avs would want and what the other teams would be willing to give up.

Why wouldn't we be interested in Kadri? I'm really excited with Jost, Compher, Bowers & Kerfoot; but Kadri is the kind of great two way 2c that it's no sure thing any of them will ever be...and if they hit that point who knows how long it'll be until they get there. I don't see Kerfoot ever having Kadri's shutdown ability though he may out produce him. I think Jost will be more successful as a (Minnesota-era) Parise-esque winger rather than a Center. Bowers is still a year or two away from even going pro. So for me Compher is our best bet of that group to become a shutdown 2C in the next couple of years. Though I love JTC and definitely see some Kadri to his game, he's still got quite a ways to go until he gets there.

And even if our kids do some day get there; why wouldn't we still want Kadri? If it happens then they can either center a second shutdown line that can produce, or move to the wing...given how much experience most of them have playing there. I'd prefer Marner since he fits the "new core" age range, but Kadri would be a great add to the Landy/EJ aged part of the team.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad