Post-Game Talk: Leafs @ Islanders, Oct 30

Status
Not open for further replies.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Well considering there's six players on the Leafs with more points then Grabner has goals will tell you, there's a lack of scoring depth. The Leafs for so long have been trying to get NHL quality offence by cheating on NHL quality defence. Now when their two-way game is really being put to the test, you're seeing players offence shutting down if they don't cheat.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
We need defensive help so trade all our good D? Talk about panic

First time I've seen "good" and "gardiner" in the same sentence. The description brain dead is perfect for him. He's never going to get it, he needs to traded outta here soon. The rookies however give us hope. We'll have to be patient at least until the dead weight is banished.

WinB4IDIE

Oct 22, 2007
Ontario
The organization needs to slowly purge all the players left from the previous regime ALL of them, they still have the blue and white disease and that is play just well enough to stay in the league but winning will never be a priority.

You can see it in the way they play, the player will float for 5 games then show up for 3 rinse and repeat over and over again, Tyler Bozak, Peter Holland, Nazem Kadri, Leo Komarov, James van Riemsdyk, Jake Gardiner, Roman Polak all need to go! This year they all seem to have already tuned out Mike Babcock, blue and white disease spreads quickly, you need to get it away from the new blood before it to late.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
The rookies are good. But other teams are learning how to defence them and of course the travel and greater number of games will tell on them until they grow accustomed to it. The fans that got too high are now too low. Leafs can score if the other team plays fire wagon hockey but they will have a lot of scoring chances against them. That is where the goalie must stand on his head. When the team plays tighter defence then the number of scoring chances will go down for both teams. That will make it a heavier game and one where mistakes will cost in a big way. Leafs will have to work through this and determine what their style of play should be and then settle into it. In the meantime Leaf fans should sit back and watch their team grow.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
as much as it pains me to see the young guys go through this.. the lower this team finishes in the standings this year.. the better off they are in the long run... so meh

what surprises me the most is the vets are still the ones playing the worst

bozak was atrocious tonight
JVR atrocious as usual (guy likes to show up the occasional 1 game per week)
Kadri the butterfly as usual
polar atrocious
marincin atrocious
gardiner brain dead

these are problems we've had for years... rebuild is still well in progress

Nothing new. Bozak's line is usually chasing the puck.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
We have a great coach that can tank(as proven last year), why waste years? Lets get some top talents and once we have them we can turn the ship around.

The inherent issue with drafting the 'new shiny toy' is that they're 2-4 years away from being good players. Not just 'good' in the sense of having great skills but understanding how the game is played at this level and this speed - Not making rookie errors.

Regarding our veterans, Kadri has been above average this year but he has been showing a bit of tunnel vision the last couple of games. As an NHL #2C, he needs to get back to utilizing his wingers better.

While JVR and Bozak had bad games today, it is crazy to say that they've been garbage this year. Again, the 'micro' level viewing of the Leafs on a game-by-game basis is ridiculous.

Komarov looks tired and it's obvious all that International hockey he has played recently is taking a toll on him. He is not a young guy anymore at almost 30 and especially with his style of hockey, he needs his rest. This is probably why he retired from International hockey so that he can focus on his career.

Hunwick and Polak's inadequacies have been discussed ad nauseam and it's pretty obvious to anyone who watches the games that the system is killing them because they aren't built for it. I don't see them lasting on the team for too long, no matter what Babcock says.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Vets who were part of our core last year have been ubderwhelming the entire year.

Makes me think if they have realized that the young ones have taken over and no one really cares for them.

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
I'm ashamed to say it but I ran the draft lottery simulator for the first time this season.

Jets 1st, leafs 2nd, stars 3rd.

Hf boards would implode

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
Regarding our veterans, Kadri has been above average this year but he has been showing a bit of tunnel vision the last couple of games. As an NHL #2C, he needs to get back to utilizing his wingers better.

Kadri has been the same since day 1 IMHO. He's never been a team guy and hardly ever passes the puck. He tries to go through the oppositions defence by himself every time. Either he's gonna score, or nobody is. Wasn't he leading the planet on shots on net at one time last year? Anybody can do that if they never pass the puck. Trade him. He's never progressed in his time with the Leafs. And he never will.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Kadri has been the same since day 1 IMHO. He's never been a team guy and hardly ever passes the puck. He tries to go through the oppositions defence by himself every time. Either he's gonna score, or nobody is. Wasn't he leading the planet on shots on net at one time last year? Anybody can do that if they never pass the puck. Trade him. He's never progressed in his time with the Leafs. And he never will.

Well this is clearly not going to happen (at least in the next couple of years) because of the deal they signed him to.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Well this is clearly not going to happen (at least in the next couple of years) because of the deal they signed him to.
Hey, man. Signing a long-term extension doesn't mean he's a keeper. Look at that one guy that one time who was traded after signing a two-year contract.

:sarcasm:

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I thought they played better than the score indicated. :dunno:

There were a decent amount of boneheaded plays and they played worse than yesterday but a lot of these things are to be expected in back-to-back games. Now, the bad news for our Leafs is that we have a TON of B2B games and have over the last couple of years at least, if memory serves me correctly. The management has to learn to adapt.

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
I thought they played better than the score indicated. :dunno:

They did.

A bit frustrating to watch as the Leafs continue to have great offensive possession. Cycle, possession, possession, cycle, shot on net, recover, possession.....turn the puck over and 20 seconds later it's in our net.

I'm sure the Leafs "out corsi'd" their opposition once again, too bad that doesn't count where it matters.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site

He literally has the most assists on the team since 2013, and that's with a fairly poor assortment of linemates.

Just a terribly inaccurate assessment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad