Post-Game Talk: Leafs @ Islanders, Oct 30

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
There is Leivo coming back from injury, but Babcock may not give him a chance.

I will guarantee it now: Leivo will go down to the Marlies for a 2 week conditioning stint.

It buys a little more time for the Leafs to perhaps make a move or two and cut down on some of these dead weight players. They can evaluate Leivo and what he can bring to the lineup as well.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I will guarantee it now: Leivo will go down to the Marlies for a 2 week conditioning stint.

It buys a little more time for the Leafs to perhaps make a move or two and cut down on some of these dead weight players. They can evaluate Leivo and what he can bring to the lineup as well.

If you look at actual production, half the team is dead weight.

That Michalek is tied with Kadri for even strength points at 2 points, and ahead of Komarov, Brown and Hyman ...

There is a lot of stone hands in this line-up.

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
If you look at actual production, half the team is dead weight.

That Michalek is tied with Kadri for even strength points at 2 points, and ahead of Komarov, Brown and Hyman ...

There is a lot of stone hands in this line-up.

Stone hands aren't really our problem though. You have to expect scoring from the young guns will increase steadily as the year goes on. Probably a dip near the end of the year, just due to the 82 game grind.

We need defensive help, not more offense.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Expected a bit of a let down after Saturday night. Looked like they started to find their legs and the PP goal to start the 3rd was huge but once Enroth gifted the 3rd goal, they were done.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
First actual bad team game of the year.

And the worst cuplrits were Bozak, JVR, and Polak.

Nice to see Babcock recognize it and rip the team's performance for the first time this year - and call out Bozak and JVR specifically for awful games.

Hopefully we see more of Kadri and Marner together, and Polak shouldnreally sit for Corrado.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
First actual bad team game of the year.

And the worst cuplrits were Bozak, JVR, and Polak.

Nice to see Babcock recognize it and rip the team's performance for the first time this year - and call out Bozak and JVR specifically for awful games.

Hopefully we see more of Kadri and Marner together, and Polak shouldnreally sit for Corrado.

Bozak and JVR both -4 +/- each on the night and you take away Marner from that Duo and they look lost and ineffective.

Its vets roles that are suppose to insulate and prop up youth, but in this case its Marner that is propping them up.

A Komarov - Kadri - Marner line might be very effective at both ends of the ice.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
the vets are killing us.

Kadri is the only Leaf over 25 that is carrying his weight.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
People need to get a grip! This **** doesn't happen over night.

Pittsburgh for instance;

2002 finished 5th in Atlantic with 69 points...picked 5th got Ryan Whitney
2003 finished 5th in Atlantic with 65 points...picked 1st got Marc Andre Fleury
2004 finished 5th in Atlantic with 58 points

YES 58 POINTS...THEY ARE ACTUALLY TRENDING DOWN HAVING JUST PICKED FIRST OVERALL!??!!!! WTF?!

Anyways picked second overall, scored Malkin.

So now they have Whitney, Fleury and Malkin! How did they do THREE full years into rebuild???

THEY FINISHED DEAD LAST FELLAS!

2005 Finished 5th in the Atlantic again with 58 points!!! Wooo hoooo!!!! Picked first overall and scored Crosby.

We are technically in year 2 of the rebuild.

I think we are progressing along just fine.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Stone hands aren't really our problem though. You have to expect scoring from the young guns will increase steadily as the year goes on. Probably a dip near the end of the year, just due to the 82 game grind.

We need defensive help, not more offense.

it's usually the reverse of that.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
We have a bottom 5 lineup. It's weird to me that people don't see that.

Everyone knows that. Only some are willing to admit it.

If you look at thread trends & posting history, its pretty obvious that some portion (perhaps large?) of the fan base here have no patience. They are expecting quick results and are unwilling to go through a patient and structured rebuild with all of its necessary steps.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
If you look at thread trends & posting history, its pretty obvious that some portion (perhaps large?) of the fan base here have no patience. They are expecting quick results and are unwilling to go through a patient and structured rebuild with all of its necessary steps.

Yup!

We are picking high again this year, and that's TOTALLY FINE!

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
the vets are killing us.

Kadri is the only Leaf over 25 that is carrying his weight.

it would be interesting to see how much of a correlation there is between world cup players and non world cup players for the first 10 games of the season, especially league overall.

Let's face it the players that were in the world cup got a "jump start" on the rest of the league.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
the difference is negligible and still doesn't buy the leafs any particular excuses.

ok but the list you posted is from 2015 and says average age is 28. either way I agree it doesnt buy excuses but it depends where that older players are in your lineup no? saying they are not the youngest team is one thing but are they the youngest team that has their best 3 players 20 and under?(I know there are other teams) playing heaviest forward mins. the older players are 4th liners and bottom pair defencemen.

edit: all im saying with this is relaying average ages are not a really godo indicator for how a team should be playing.

and sorry I am replying to the wrong poster haha

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
ok but the list you posted is from 2015 and says average age is 28. either way I agree it doesnt buy excuses but it depends where that older players are in your lineup no? saying they are not the youngest team is one thing but are they the youngest team that has their best 3 players 20 and under?(I know there are other teams) playing heaviest forward mins. the older players are 4th liners and bottom pair defencemen.

I didn't post any list. and it wasn't that hard to click on the website and see the other chart either.

and it's still immaterial .. other teams such as florida have their average age skewed up dramatically because of greybeards on the team.

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I didn't post any list. and it wasn't that hard to click on the website and see the other chart either.

and it's still immaterial .. other teams such as florida have their average age skewed up dramatically because of greybeards on the team.

I addressed I was posting to the wrong person sorry. One of their greybeards is a first line forward and h.o.f, one of our grey beard is a 7th d man playing as a 5th Dman. our older players a really just empty uniforms is my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad