Rumor: Leafs Interested in Tyler Myers #61

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I don't think Myers is better than Timmins. He's definitely not as good as Liljegren. Justin Holl kind of blows half the time but that seems lateral.

At this point maybe buy low on Klingberg.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Leafs can't afford to re-sign Meier
Meier isn't a typical rental due to his RFA status. If the Leafs looked to move him again in the summer they would recoup a lot of the value they used to get him in the first place

Due to that I'd expect Toronto to be more willing to part with assets like their 1st

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Meier isn't a typical rental due to his RFA status. If the Leafs looked to move him again in the summer they would recoup a lot of the value they used to get him in the first place

Due to that I'd expect Toronto to be more willing to part with assets like their 1st
Examples of this happening?

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
I could see interest in him as a buy low candidate if the Canucks are willing to retain. He used to be good and it seems unlikely he fell off a cliff that quickly when the entire team is struggling as well. That said they don’t have the cap space for him and I don’t see them willing to part with any impressive assets so I doubt Canucks fans would like the return.
I'd trade him at 50% for a 2nd easily. Probably could be convinced to take less tbh. He could be an asset for a good team that doesn't suck. And it honestly wouldn't be bad to have a guy who can step in for big minutes when injuries hit, even if he's not very productive in those minutes.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
we dont even care about a pick or prospect

literally just take him and we are happy
You do care. This is a professional league, and not in the business of giving away players for nothing. Just because you personally hate him doesn't mean he has no value.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I just don't see the Leafs having the appropriate "bad money" contracts to move the other way to even start to make Myers make sense for them. If they had some expensive bad contract to move for him, sure...i could see them adding a tall RHD like Myers. He'd be fine in Toronto, in a role more appropriate to his depth capacity. But who would come the other way to make the salary palatable for this year and next?

I'm sure Leafs fans would say Holl...but that's a relatively small change, expiring deal. Would they try to move Matt Murray's money along with other things?

It'd have to expand to a bigger deal to make sense. And i just can't even find the pieces to expand it to make sense either. The Canucks don't have any sort of "better value contracts" to swap for anything realistically on the Leafs.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
...But the Kings didn't need to give him $10 million a season in order to retain him.

How do you think this is the same thing?
The qualifying offer really isn't a big deal lol, this isn't some player who has a real value of 6 million with a 10 million QO.

Timo Meier is a legit ~9 million dollar player, he's PPG powerforward who can score 40 goals a season. Someone will reasonably give him an offer around 9 million x 7 years, is he really going to turn that down for a 10 x 1? Especially if Toronto works with Meier to get him to a location he would like to be at, effectively sending him to UFA 1 year early

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
Myers is a unicorn in this league. Doesn't mean he's a good unicorn.

In the right situation, in the right system, he could be better than the average NHL defensemen.

He's got that huge reach and he's a good skater. Both those things makes it surprising that he always seems to be out of position.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I don't think Myers is better than Timmins. He's definitely not as good as Liljegren. Justin Holl kind of blows half the time but that seems lateral.

At this point maybe buy low on Klingberg.
You gotta be kidding me have you seen how tall Myers is? Hes basically Chara in all aspects of ice hockey

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
...But the Kings didn't need to give him $10 million a season in order to retain him.

How do you think this is the same thing?

Pretty simple. Find his asking price, find teams he is willing to extend in and that are interested. Hopefully have 2-3 interested teams and make a deal at the draft before it ever matters

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad