Speculation: Leafs interested in Hurricanes RHDs

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
The over value Canes fans have is nuts. Leaf players are all worth garbage unless its Nylander..Jesus Murphy.

I want a trade to go down just so us leaf fans can laugh when they don't get Nylander...or Kapenen. Not sure if they saw the Muzzin deal. While I get that Pesce is way younger, higher ceiling more term..Hamilton same age 1yr more term than Muzzin I believe.

In saying that I do know the next trade the leafs make..a NHL roster guy maybe 2 have to go for $ room and room to fit the acquired player. We also have our 2020..which I think will be a late first anyhow...but it's still a 1st. You say Johnsson, Lily 2020 doesn't get one of those 2 Pesce or Hamilton ...just wow. Firsts are highly regarded that's 1, 2 Johnsson is playing 3rd or 4th line minutes and has over 30pts. And his first 2 months he started super slow..so let's say since maybe Christmas has caught fire. Either way..you get a potential 60pt guy, a 1st round pick and an A level prospect and if it's not D your after Bracco or Marchment..and Bracco is tearing up the AHL.

Point being? Trade happens I wont be close with what leafs give, but Carolina fans will be far off what they are suggesting in Nylander

You're given legitimate reasons that type of trade doesn't work for Carolina, of why they're in a completely different position than LA(NOT rebuilding), and that's what you come back with? Ok then

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
More like leafs fans undervalue Carolina's players. Nobody has said other leafs' players are garbage, they just dont hold enough value without the pedigree. Not sure why that's so hard to understand.

Sigh... The reasons muzzin was available for futures: fairly old, LHD, 2 year deal and LAK is rebuilder.

The reasons why Pesce and Hamilton are NOT available for futures: FO wants to make the playoffs real bad, young top pair RHD, good/great contract and they both are part of the core and future.

If Toronto offers futures for Pesce/Hamilton, I can quarantee there wont be a deal. There are other teams than Toronto that need Top 4 RHD, that can make a fair hockey trade.

I didn't say futures. Dude a guy playing in the top 9 on a stacked offensive team..like the leafs are 10x better offensively than the Canes and Johnsson cracking the top 9 and doing well is damn good. Had he started the year this way he'd be around 45 points maybe even 50. That's not a future that's a top 9 NHL forward..say all you want about proof..its called risk reward. Your team needs scoring badly Nylander IF HE ever got traded it be in the summer. So again a top 9..or in Canes case Johnsson is top 6, a 2020 1st and Bracco (who is a future or a Timmy lily) that's more than fair

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I didn't say futures. Dude a guy playing in the top 9 on a stacked offensive team..like the leafs are 10x better offensively than the Canes and Johnsson cracking the top 9 and doing well is damn good. Had he started the year this way he'd be around 45 points maybe even 50. That's not a future that's a top 9 NHL forward..say all you want about proof..its called risk reward. Your team needs scoring badly Nylander IF HE ever got traded it be in the summer. So again a top 9..or in Canes case Johnsson is top 6, a 2020 1st and Bracco (who is a future or a Timmy lily) that's more than fair

You didn't say futures, but Bracco Liljegren and a 2020 1st are all futures.

If Carolina is dealing Pesce or Hamilton it's 1-for-1 or adding to get a proven top forward. Package deals are not what they are looking for. There is zero need to deal either of them this deadline.

If you are making a package involving futures, Faulk or TVR are the targets.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
If the Canes weren't in the unique situation they're in, I think the bulk of the fans on this board would take a pass on Nylander for Pesce.

Forum 26 has a man crush on the guy and for good reason (player quality, age and contract). It's not being difficult to win the battle of wills on a message board. It's a case of Carolina fans on here valuing Pesce highly to the team itself. There's so much resistance for that reason.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
You didn't say futures, but Bracco Liljegren and a 2020 1st are all futures.

If Carolina is dealing Pesce or Hamilton it's 1-for-1 or adding to get a proven top forward. Package deals are not what they are looking for. There is zero need to deal either of them this deadline.

If you are making a package involving futures, Faulk or TVR are the targets.

Lol oops you didn't add Johnsson as a future? That's because hes a top 6 on the Canes if he went there so...try again

Johnsson 2020 1st and bracco or Lily that's has to get one of Hamilton or Pesce easy

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
To give an answer to your useless response......I 100% am.
No doubt Brett Pesce is a top 4 dman, who is very solid defensively, but what indication in his game has he given to show any sort of offensive upside that would be needed for him to be put in the category of a top pairing guy?
He has nowhere near the upside of Nylander who is also younger, and put up back to back 60 point seasons as a 20 and 21 year old.
Nylander has taken a few months to round back into form after the contract hold out, but seems back to himself the last few weeks, and has been the Leafs best player over that time. With Kadri out he is playing C, which is a great opportunity to show people what he can do at his natural position.

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Lol oops you didn't add Johnsson as a future? That's because hes a top 6 on the Canes if he went there so...try again

Johnsson 2020 1st and bracco or Lily that's has to get one of Hamilton or Pesce easy

No means no.

Offer a single player who alone is worth Pesce or Hamilton, or make a lesser offer for Faulk or TVR.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Bean and Fleury are going to be used in your stretch run?
Look like a next year option...why not have a little fun and get a rental + controlled young winger + pick.

I think the Canes staff would be comfortable using Fleury in the stretch drive, he's at least as good as Gardiner is defensively (though that is damning him with faint praise) and it certainly makes a lot more sense if the Canes are going to trade away Ferland, they are doing it to get some assets that will help them.

Jake Gardiner doesn't help them and they would let him walk as a UFA in the summer because they have guys in the pipeline to fill that spot on D in Fleury and Bean. Why would they deal away a valuable asset in Ferland and not get pieces that will help them in the future?

Seems counter productive at best and idiotic at worst.

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC

Johnsson would be on the 4th line here. It’s no knock on his ability. It’s just that we have Nino, Ferland, and Svechnikov on lines 1-3.

That’s one reason why Johnsson doesn’t get you a top4 RHD.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
lol. maybe the leafs should try to see if they can get some other young d-man for their elite players :laugh:

pretty clear they don't want to give what it takes to get pesce/hamilton. pretty stupid that this thread keeps on popping up. same result each time. leafs act like their players are gods and canes say they want one good piece. not some meh/decent stuff.

Try to see if any other fanbase would take johnsson +1st for their young top 4 rhd.:laugh:

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
As a Canes fan I would absolutely love to do a Pesce for Zaitsev and Connor Brown swap. Zaitsev offers great offensive potential (way better than our inept bottom pairing defenseman Pesce) and Brown is a diamond in the rough. Sign me up.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
No means no.

Offer a single player who alone is worth Pesce or Hamilton, or make a lesser offer for Faulk or TVR.

Funny watched TSN on Twitter and the guys are saying IF toronto was willing to move one of Kap or Johnsson Carolina would be all ears but apparently though we have been heavily scouting you guys the two teams haven't talked..yet

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Johnsson would be on the 4th line here. It’s no knock on his ability. It’s just that we have Nino, Ferland, and Svechnikov on lines 1-3.

That’s one reason why Johnsson doesn’t get you a top4 RHD.

Johnsson is better than all 3 of those guys right now. Hes scoring at a 50 point pace while playing less than 13mins a game. Niedereeiter plays almost 3mins more a game last time I checked. Also, if youre going to make up a reason like "he plays with Matthews", his production was just as high while on the 4th line with Lindholm and Connor Brown. Theres a reason why Carolina got Nino for so cheap, he's overpaid for what he brings. The only winger on Carolina better than him is Teuvo. If Johnsson had more minutes he'd definitely be a 60 point player. Ive been screaming for the Oilers to trade for him while his value is low because he's obviously got untapped potential.

Reactions: jrgtml67

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad