Speculation: Leafs interested in Granlund

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
Why pick up Galchenyuk is they are interested in Granlund?
My Guess is that he already cleared waivers and can stay on the taxi squad and we can give ice time to other player with the Marlies.
Would rather have him and Martin Marincin on the taxi squad and not taking ice from anyone on the big club or Marlies

Reactions: bossram

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Why pick up Galchenyuk is they are interested in Granlund?
Galy is in the minors and may never leave. He seems to be a depth signing while freeing up a contract spot.

Presumably we want a PK guy. our PK is crap. I'm not sure how he is doing defensively this season though or what he would cost to get.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Annnd like clockwork there it is... the post-loss "Leafs need a trade to fix their team" article

I don t think TOR needs anything to win the North, but I believe they are a RHD and a shutdown center away from contending. At the moment BOS PHI VGK COL TBL all seem stronger, even though TOR is likely the best canadian chance (from a Habs fan)

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I don t think TOR needs anything to win the North, but I believe they are a RHD and a shutdown center away from contending. At the moment BOS PHI VGK COL TBL all seem stronger, even though TOR is likely the best canadian chance (from a Habs fan)
The Leafs have looked pretty good on the blue line this season, actually. Holl has been excellent. Depth up front is much more of a need right now.

Reactions: exporta

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Annnd like clockwork there it is... the post-loss "Leafs need a trade to fix their team" article
Might have more to do with the timing of the facebook rumor today that stated Granlund was the guy we are targeting.

Great story though. If you want panic and overreaction see the Rielly, JT and Nylander trade threads. You picked the innocent one for your comment.

Reactions: uncleben

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
Granlund is our primary PK forward... I don't know what that exactly adds, since our PK sucks horrendously. Hynes loves Granlund and plays him over 20 mins a lot of nights. Whether that vouches for him or not is also open to debate. But just from an eyeball perspective Granlund is really hustling, getting his hands dirty, and playing with a lot more zip this year than he has in his previous go-rounds with us.

How's Haula been?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Is there a player the leafs aren't interested in?

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
Ehhh... I mean, I guess he's trying... but hasn't clicked or produced worth a damn yet. I would drop him for a 3rd or 4th rounder just to make room for younger players on our roster if I could. :dunno:

Alrighty. Wonder how much it'd cost the Leafs to acquire both Granlund and Haula with salary retention. Tough trade to make with the lack of cap flexibility the Leafs have.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
In terms of retention, we obviously have no issues Cap-wise in retaining on a player. But the actual real-salary portion of it might give the team pause. In a normal year with normal revenue streams, they could write off essentially "buying a draft pick" by trading the expiring contract players. But this year... I don't know how attractive it would be to keep paying players who are gone, and their replacements. I guess it will just come down to the numbers if it ends up making sense vs. what they would otherwise pay the player to just finish out the string, though. But the team won't throw money around cavalierly this year, I suspect, and might just take a lesser pick return if it didn't cost them as much in real $$$. :dunno:

Reactions: Feliix

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
In terms of retention, we obviously have no issues Cap-wise in retaining on a player. But the actual real-salary portion of it might give the team pause. In a normal year with normal revenue streams, they could write off essentially "buying a draft pick" by trading the expiring contract players. But this year... I don't know how attractive it would be to keep paying players who are gone, and their replacements. I guess it will just come down to the numbers if it ends up making sense vs. what they would otherwise pay the player to just finish out the string, though. But the team won't throw money around cavalierly this year, I suspect, and might just take a lesser pick return if it didn't cost them as much in real $$$. :dunno:

Ah true, good point.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
The Leafs have looked pretty good on the blue line this season, actually. Holl has been excellent. Depth up front is much more of a need right now.

when simmonds comes back depth will also improve, I really think Kerfoot and the D will suffer against elite offense !

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Would love to see a Zucker-Crosby-Granlund line, but I don't think Burke/Hextall would agree. But we could bring back Jake and Rust with Malkin and find a decent 3C for Kapanen (Tierney?).
Brandon Saad will be a Pen this summer...take it to the bank

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad