Rumor: Leafs Interested in Gio as Gio wants to come home to retire in a year or two

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
if I had to choose between Gio and Severson I go with the latter... no idea what Severson would cost or if even the Devils are interesting in moving him, he does have a very manageable contract though

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Well here's hoping his desire to come here lowers the asking price. Maybe Seattle wants to do reight by him. I feel like he's garnered that much respect in the league no?

Frostitute

Feb 9, 2022
Northern Ontario
Maybe something along the lines of Gio for Dermy and a 3rd.

3rd goes to a second if we make the conference finals.

2nd goes to a first in 2024 if we win the cup.

Otherwise id rather...well, yall probably know cuz ive said it many times on this board. Chychrun baybay! Lol.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
So we get an old guy who already has retired? And we give them an actual potential player in Robertson?
I know, he has not retired, but when you say you are going to next year, you have already checked out.
I don't mind trying Gio for a month or 2, but he can not be counted on as the solution. He wasn't the solution in Calgary or Seattle. Look how much Calgary improved without him.

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
It is coming from everywhere media, hockey talk, friends .. to me he is better than Holl, Dermy, Lub, Lily and Sandin right now so why wouldn't we add a VET D who makes our current team better
Rielly Lub
Gio Brodie
Muzzy ???/likely Lily to me
You're taking Sandin out of the lineup??

3ABBB42E-6130-44CE-93D5-532EE8144DBF.gif

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
So we get an old guy who already has retired? And we give them an actual potential player in Robertson?
I know, he has not retired, but when you say you are going to next year, you have already checked out.
I don't mind trying Gio for a month or 2, but he can not be counted on as the solution. He wasn't the solution in Calgary or Seattle. Look how much Calgary improved without him.
That's all Sutter.

Doubledose

Oct 14, 2021
For right price sure. Maybe get third team for retention. Perhaps Francis will help a player and build a stronger relationship with dubas for future deals
Or something similar to the Hutton one. Work a deal to save Seattle real money

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
FYI, Hakstol was not a Dermott fan.
Hakstol played Dermott 13 minute a game, with sheltered minutes.
On the other hand, he played Holl 21 minutes a game against top competition.
I would offer Holl for Gio (50% retained). If Seattle turns it down, then move on.

Reactions: crump and Keon1963

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I don't really want a 38 y.o. defencemen knocking a younger player off the roster.

Even if he were free.

Reactions: Mr_Fun

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
That's all Sutter.
Aw, brings us back to coaching. Changing players for a coach who cannot coach playoff hockey, mortgage tomorrow for today is great if you can win. Coaching and goaltending coaches are so weak, adding Sydney Crosbie will not get us across the line. ( ok maybe SC, but you get the point )

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
He's a 2nd pairing guy still and has a lot of pedigree. Holl + 2nd + retention and I'm fine with this. Especially if he re-signs for like 2 yr/1.5-2per

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Always expected this to happen and would be surprised if it didn’t.
Holl +3 or 4 depending on retention should be a nice pickup.

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
Im a fan of Gio on the cheap. Give Muzzin time to get as close to 100% for the playoffs and play him in a few games down the stretch. give everybody a night off.

Gio-Brodie
Mo-boosh
Sandin-Lily
Muzz-Holl

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I agree with most of you. For the right price (Dermott and a low draft pick) I'd trade for him to bring experience to the second pairing and eat up playoff minutes. That would push Sandin, Lily, or Holl lower to their proper pairing which is another benefit. I kinda like Bush with Rielly and a reteaming of Gio with Brodie for the second pairing.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Aw, brings us back to coaching. Changing players for a coach who cannot coach playoff hockey, mortgage tomorrow for today is great if you can win. Coaching and goaltending coaches are so weak, adding Sydney Crosbie will not get us across the line. ( ok maybe SC, but you get the point )
I do get the point and actually am not particularly pro or con on Giordano. I just happen to watch the Flames enough to have witnessed the transformation under Sutter. He's achieved what all teams hope a new bench boss will accomplish.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Dermott+2023 2nd+B prospect is the absolutel highest they should go. They're also going to need to pay for double retention.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I agree with most of you. For the right price (Dermott and a low draft pick) I'd trade for him to bring experience to the second pairing and eat up playoff minutes. That would push Sandin, Lily, or Holl lower to their proper pairing which is another benefit. I kinda like Bush with Rielly and a reteaming of Gio with Brodie for the second pairing.

Dermott and something small would make sense to me.

But not spending futures or decent prospects for that. Dermott is naturally replaced by younger players once giordano retires, and I assume he would be an improvement over dermott in the short term, so it seems like a win to me

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I suspect Giordano will end up here and that Travis Dermott will be part of it.

I have no isssue with that, the reason why is twofold

1 I believe even at Giordano's age he is still better than Dermott and that alone should be enough for anybody because the goal is to get better anf give yourself a chance at a cup which I believe they have if they can get a save from somebody.

2 it has long term advantages, Dermott has another year at 1.5 million Gio is expiring so it clears cap space long term that is a good thing.

I see no downside to this even though Giordano is significantly older

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'm all for moving Dermott + for him, at 50%, if we assume that Muzzin will be coming back strong for the playoffs. He's still got game, even if he's not the elite D he once was. As others have mentioned, it's probable he signs the Spezza deal until retirement. He's got chemistry with Brodie, so we should have three really good pairings.

Mo Lyubushkin
Gio Brodie
Muzzin Lily
Sandin. Holl

Pretty solid to me.

Would still have cap space to go after a forward, if there was one that we thought could help, at the right price. Maybe move Holl in the offseason... or in the same deal, or other deal...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad