Rumor: Leafs Interested in Gio as Gio wants to come home to retire in a year or two

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
What do our Leafs trade to pick him up?

Robertson, Holl and cap space from Kraken to make it work for Leafs .. Kraken looking for a D and scoring LWer

Francis wants to help out Gio get back home and give him another Cup shot ..

Reactions: ACC1224

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Not really interested, I see him as a 3rd pairing D unless somehow Brodie can revitalize him. 2nd and hirovinen
Not a chance. Dubas has done well in the second round and Hirvonen is a talented little player. If we're moving that kind of value out, it's for term, and while I wouldn't mind Gio in the fold, that price is a non-starter.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I like him for his competitiveness, leadership and willingness to sacrifice in order to win. These are strong assets, especially since he wants to come home.

Overpaying for him would be counter productive though, A first for a rental is only wise in unique circumstances. Last year for Foligno made sense, the Leafs had it's best chance from a matchup perspective that it would ever get due to the pandemic, it was a once in a lifetime situation.

If the price is right, I go for Gio, If not, I pursue Middleton or someone with his pedigree for a cheaper price. The Leafs are one of a few teams that if they get past the first round, they could go all the way, it has to be assessed by probability of any additions.

I do believe that Dubas should make the defense a fortress. You add a D man (or two?, with the newly acquired Russian Bear and Muzzin hopefully able to return at some point and the Leafs D will make life miserable for opposing teams forwards. Something teams like Florida likes to do.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
It is coming from everywhere media, hockey talk, friends .. to me he is better than Holl, Dermy, Lub, Lily and Sandin right now so why wouldn't we add a VET D who makes our current team better
Rielly Lub
Gio Brodie
Muzzy ???/likely Lily to me

I agree but is the rumour that he wants to extend? Or just be a rental near his home. Foligno. Left

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Is he still any good though? What are his advanced stats? Anyone have one of those JFresh (?) advanced stats charts? Deactivated my Twitter :/

found last year's. trend line is concerning

for comparison this is Dermott from same time

holl from earlier this year

Last edited:

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
I like him for his competitiveness, leadership and willingness to sacrifice in order to win. These are strong assets, especially since he wants to come home.

Overpaying for him would be counter productive though, A first for a rental is only wise in unique circumstances. Last year for Foligno made sense, the Leafs had it's best chance from a matchup perspective that it would ever get due to the pandemic, it was a once in a lifetime situation.

If the price is right, I go for Gio, If not, I pursue Middleton or someone with his pedigree for a cheaper price. The Leafs are one of a few teams that if they get past the first round, they could go all the way, it has to be assessed by probability of any additions.

I do believe that Dubas should make the defense a fortress. You add a D man (or two?, with the newly acquired Russian Bear and Muzzin hopefully able to return at some point and the Leafs D will make life miserable for opposing teams forwards. Something teams like Florida likes to do.
If Gio is holding out for Toronto, Dubas would do well to mind the situation while going after Middleton first. Gio's effectively done the Leafs a favour if reports are true.

Reactions: CincoHolio

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Guy can play top4 D and is a veteran leader. He's not the #1 that he used to be, but he's still a good player and we employ a guy he's spent a lot of successful time on a pairing with. Would be a huge pickup for us, even for the playoffs. Now, I wouldn't want to spend too much on a 38 year old who's playoff experience is... Calgary, but I like the fit. A 1st or a top prospect? Hell no. 2nd + prospect + Dermott? Fine by me tbh.

Dermott doesn't really have any value any more unfortunately. He needs the change of scenery and will probably be a top4 somewhere eventually, it's just not here and nobody wants to pay a big draft pick for a 25 year old reclamation project. So, 2nd and a B prospect for a D we can trust with 20 minutes a night? I'd do that.

Regardless of whether we trade for Gio or not, I think we should pursue him in the offseason. It's gotta be on a Spezza type deal, he's 38 and trending down, but I think we'd probably be happy to get a year or two of him on our third pair. Veteran stability to help develop young players, and even if he's the #5, that's fine by me. If he's looking for a last little payday, he can go somewhere else.

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
Not a chance. Dubas has done well in the second round and Hirvonen is a talented little player. If we're moving that kind of value out, it's for term, and while I wouldn't mind Gio in the fold, that price is a non-starter.
Yeah I agree, I was stoned. he’s a third pairing d now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad