Rumor: Leafs Interested in Gio as Gio wants to come home to retire in a year or two

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
We have a player that isn't afraid to play physical, has previous chemistry with Brodie, that wants to play in the city, has respectable stats on a meh team, and who would also be an excellent mentor to our young-and-coming defenders.

The only foreseeable issue is cost: ~$3.5mm retention is not something Travis Dermott can cover, nor a b-level prospect.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Do we need a top 4 D who is capable to play against top 6 forwards?

Absolutely. After Rielly, Brodie and Muzzin there's a significant falloff in experience.

Sign me up for the righg price.

Except that he's not really capable of that night in night out.
Get Lindholm with terms. That significantly changes everything. Not another band aid solution

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
With the price of rentals, not sure I'd be up for it.

What do you think the ask is?
Agreed. There's same crazy shit happening.
However I can also see some bargains in the last hour or 2 on Monday and i'm fine if we wait on the sidelines for more reasonably priced help.

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
A first round pick for a player on the cusp of retirement? Yeah, hell no, stay away from this, Dubas.

Keep your first round pick, acquiring him won't put the Leafs over the top, as they still have the same goaltending issues as before.

Either get a piece or two somewhat cheap or stand pat.

Reactions: IPS

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
is this the guy from the 'my name is Giovanni Giorgio' meme

who the heck are we talking about? i never heard of a player named Gio

i heard of a movie Gia

alls i know is a player named Mike Giordano. can we stop being lazy pls and type full names. not that hard

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
If Gio is holding out for Toronto, Dubas would do well to mind the situation while going after Middleton first. Gio's effectively done the Leafs a favour if reports are true.

I tend to agree with this logic, especially if Seattle wants to be known as a character franchise that other players will consider in UFA. As a new team,.why nickel and dime other teams and leave a bad taste in players mouths? It's not as if the Cup is around the corner for them.

Gio isn't the player of 3-4 years ago, at least grant him his wish for a decent return. If not, Leafs can bid for his services in the offseason. A first is too much for a rental who is close to retirement. Middleton seems like the right play here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eye Test and ITM

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I wouldn't want both him and Muzzin in the lineup going forward, too slow. If Muzzin is done either via LTIRetirement or trade, sure. Rielly-Sandin-Giordano on a Spezza deal could make sense for next season, it doesn't work with Muzzin also in the mix.

Reactions: Eye Test and Mr_Fun

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
only get him if he comes cheap so he could "maybe" rekindle his chemistry with brodie. if he' gonna cost a 1st or a 2nd, then tell Ron Francis to f*** off.

just sign him in the summer for next season.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Why we only picking up these guys that want to come home to play for the leafs when their 37
Where was this desire earlier in their career

Pass and get him next year at league minimum

Maybe if they take mrazek and he comes retained
Tavares and bunting come to mind. Hyman as a college FA.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I know he's 38, but I'd still be happy to have him. He's still a decent player, and having another vet on the blue line isn't the worst idea when there's 2 rookies back there right now and who knows if Muzzin comes back and plays well. I don't think the pricetag will be a 1st or a 2nd plus a prospect. I can see Seattle doing him a solid and sending him here for something a lot less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad