The Star: Leafs Institute New Ticket Pricing Policy

ForSpareParts*

I always get the price I want from scalpers if I just wait for 10 min of the first period to go by.

;)

markh100

Aug 11, 2005
Toronto
I always get the price I want from scalpers if I just wait for 10 min of the first period to go by.

;)

I actually tried this once. I went to the ACC and tried to get a pair of tickets. By the time the puck dropped, the only tickets available from any of the scalpers were $450 a pair.

blue82

BELEAF (win or lose)
Dec 7, 2009
Leaf Nation
well at least if the cap does go up to like 80mil over the next 4 years (legit rumour) the leafs will be able to spend that much and distance themselves from about 1/2 the league who would not be able to afford it

hockeyfanz*

To quote the O-dog it doesn't matter for the average Joe who can't afford the tickets anyway.

One has to wonder where the stupidity ends. I guess Corporate Canada can carry the Leafs franchise no matter how stupid the ticket prices get. And O-dog (whoever that is) is spot on. The average Joe doesn't give a crap because they aren't going anyway.

Last season the Leafs average ticket price was more than double that of the league average.

Last year...

Leafs avg. price = 124.69
NHL avg. price = 61.01

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Seriously, save your money, buy flight tickets to Tampa, and watch the Leafs for pennies on the dollar. Saw the Leafs play there for $12 once.

i1

Nov 10, 2011
Newfoundland
Seriously, save your money, buy flight tickets to Tampa, and watch the Leafs for pennies on the dollar. Saw the Leafs play there for $12 once.

This, seeing a game at the ACC is way too expensive. If I was in Toronto and wanted to see the Leafs I'd try to get tickets in Buffalo or Ottawa or something way before overpriced/hard-to-get/relatively quiet home seats.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Boy, you guys will go way out of your way to save a few bucks eh? I'd rather watch a game downtown, grab a brew in the area then go home.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Boy, you guys will go way out of your way to save a few bucks eh? I'd rather watch a game downtown, grab a brew in the area then go home.
A lot of people are used to travelling to games and live outside the GTA. I have my pick of Leafs tickets at the ACC, but I still end up in Niagara, Buffalo, Hamilton, Detroit, etc.. to watch different teams play in the NHL/OHL/AHL.

I can see why a lot of people, especially those who want lower bowl tickets will drive 3-4 hours to see the Leafs.

Sometimes it's nice to get out of the area, go to different pubs/restaurants, see different arenas, etc..

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Grab your ankles a little tighter folks. At least there's only 3 different levels of premium, for now...

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
In other news, the retail value of the moon went up.

Who cares how expensive the games are, they weren't affordable last year...

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
One has to wonder where the stupidity ends. I guess Corporate Canada can carry the Leafs franchise no matter how stupid the ticket prices get. And O-dog (whoever that is) is spot on. The average Joe doesn't give a crap because they aren't going anyway.

Last season the Leafs average ticket price was more than double that of the league average.

Last year...

Leafs avg. price = 124.69
NHL avg. price = 61.01

If we took the Leafs ticket price out of the equation, What is the average for the other 29 teams? I'll guess it's about 57

hockeyfanz*

If we took the Leafs ticket price out of the equation, What is the average for the other 29 teams? I'll guess it's about 57

Hahaha...maybe..Your point is that Toronto NHL hockey fans are getting gouged even more than it appears on the surface. People will defend this gouging by simply explaining it as a supply and demand scenario..which is entirely true.

What happens when the government decides that corporations can no longer write off entertainment tickets such as sporting events as a business expense? I believe this was on the table not long ago....MLSE can feel safe as long as there is a Conservative government in parliament but otherwise those ticket prices might just take a tumble if the Big Corps cant have their tax deduction.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
If the the average joe doesn't give a crap, then how come they ***** and moan every time the ticket prices are increased?

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
To quote the O-dog it doesn't matter for the average Joe who can't afford the tickets anyway.

Everyone can afford to go, its a matter of if you want to spend the money or not. I assume everyone on here works, and it doesn't matter what your job is as well. If you bring in a pay-cheque you are able to go. But most of us are smart with our money and choose not to pay the prices. I'm 26 years old and I don't have the best job around but I get paid every 2 weeks and I could afford to go to a game here and there, but will I...probably not when I can go to the beer store get a case of beer and watch from my house with a bunch of friends. I'd definitely love to go at least once but I refuse to pay those prices, has nothing to do with being able to afford tickets.

I went two years ago with two friends of mine (the game against Ottawa where Phaneuf decked Da Costa), we got our tickets from one of their friends, I paid 120 bucks for mine we were in the purples. It was also my buddies birthday so I bought him a few beers. All in all for the night out I put out probably 250 bucks. Like I'm willing to do that on occasion but not all the time. And I'm sure most of us on here feel the same way.

Last edited:

hockeyfanz*

If the the average joe doesn't give a crap, then how come they ***** and moan every time the ticket prices are increased?

I laugh...not B1atch and moan. Why would I?

200 bucks a seat or 2000 bucks a seat makes no difference to me. It is quite amusing to see how high MLSE can go though. I think you are confusing the average Joe with someone who gives a crap. What you say makes no sense.

Like saying I care how much they are raising the price of the Mercedes luxury sedan....since I will never be in the market for one...what difference does it make to me?

Do you think there is a price point in Toronto for Leaf tickets that would impact the sales of tickets? Seems to me that MLSE can charge whatever they want and it doesn't even matter how bad the team is. There will always be people willing to pay the price. Some people truly have more money than sense.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Everyone can afford to go, its a matter of if you want to spend the money or not. I assume everyone on here works, and it doesn't matter what your job is as well. If you bring in a pay-cheque you are able to go. But most of us are smart with our money and choose not to pay the prices. I'm 26 years old and I don't have the best job around but I get paid every 2 weeks and I could afford to go to a game here and there, but will I...probably not when I can go to the beer store get a case of beer and watch from my house with a bunch of friends. I'd definitely love to go at least once but I refuse to pay those prices, has nothing to do with being able to afford tickets.

I went two years ago with two friends of mine (the game against Ottawa where Phaneuf decked Da Costa), we got our tickets from one of their friends, I paid 120 bucks for mine we were in the purples. It was also my buddies birthday so I bought him a few beers. All in all for the night out I put out probably 250 bucks. Like I'm willing to do that on occasion but not all the time. And I'm sure most of us on here feel the same way.

Not very good friends if they're ripping them off that badly. Hate to see what their enemies would charge them for $37 seats.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
MLSE (owned by Bell/Rogers) are vultures for charging insane ticket prices in a salary cap era game. They just pocket all the excess revenue for themselves (since they can't spend it on player salaries) while the small market teams spend a large chunk of their revenue on player salaries in order to compete with the big market teams. Every team has went above the cap floor soon after the free agency window opened. So it's not just that teams are forced to compete. But they kinda have to in order to stay competitive so that their fans will continue supporting the team.

And Leaf fans are suckers for buying those over-priced tickets. If you want lower ticket prices, there's only one solution: boycott Leafs tickets until MLSE is forced to lower prices.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
MLSE (owned by Bell/Rogers) are vultures for charging insane ticket prices in a salary cap era game. They just pocket all the excess revenue for themselves (since they can't spend it on player salaries) while the small market teams spend a large chunk of their revenue on player salaries in order to compete with the big market teams. Every team has went above the cap floor soon after the free agency window opened. So it's not just that teams are forced to compete. But they kinda have to in order to stay competitive so that their fans will continue supporting the team.

And Leaf fans are suckers for buying those over-priced tickets. If you want lower ticket prices, there's only one solution: boycott Leafs tickets until MLSE is forced to lower prices.

Boycott will never work as others have mentioned big biz owns most of the seats. Scalpers own the rest. Going to A Leaf game is actually a.big.deal. Around here. Average income people only go if they win them or received them as a gift for Christmas or a birthday. I 've said it before the team could probably fill the arena with family members ofpast and present NHL players living in the GTA. the demand is just nuts that's why MLSE has turned into a 2 billion dollar company. All from hockey.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
As someone who is never able to buy tickets directly from Ticketmaster, I always have to buy from the secondary market and this is the system they already have in place. The high demand games are set at ridiculous amounts and the only way to see those prices lowered are if the tickets are still available on game day.

It would really suck if I have to make trips to Buffalo just to afford tickets to a Leafs game because it seems games in Buffalo are almost guaranteed losses for the Leafs.

ForSpareParts*

I actually tried this once. I went to the ACC and tried to get a pair of tickets. By the time the puck dropped, the only tickets available from any of the scalpers were $450 a pair.

you didn't try hard enough.

i bought my last ticket (golds) for $60.00.

pairs are different i get it, but you should at least get a ticket at face value by the first 10 min. of the game. if not, just wait. who needs to see the dumb ceremonies or even the first 15 min. of a game?

patience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad