News Article: Leafs impressing

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
Since 1992, Detroit's had 2 picks in the top 20, a 20th in 2013 and a 19th in 2005. How they've managed to be this good for so long is incredible. But after just squeaking into the playoffs last year, I don't know how seemingly everybody puts them at the top. Signing Alfie? Boooooooooooooo

wulfio*

They are a Datsyuk/Zetterberg injury away from missing the playoffs. Their bottom 6 is unimpressive with an aging top 6. Their D is good, but that team is going nowhere if one of Zetterberg or Datsyuk go down.

so your argument is based on an if. got it.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Since 1992, Detroit's had 2 picks in the top 20, a 20th in 2013 and a 19th in 2005. How they've managed to be this good for so long is incredible. But after just squeaking into the playoffs last year, I don't know how seemingly everybody puts them at the top. Signing Alfie? Boooooooooooooo

The reason they have been so consistent each year is because they draft smartly, their scouts have a knack for knowing which player to pick. Also, they are very good at developing their prospects as well, if you notice Detroit doesn't rush their players and they let them develop at their own pace.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
we definitely were sloppy. so i wouldn't say we played well and it's only 3 games. we are 3 and 0 mainly because of goaltending imo.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
we definitely were sloppy. so i wouldn't say we played well and it's only 3 games. we are 3 and 0 mainly because of goaltending imo.

Goaltending has saved our ***** this year, it has allowed us to remain in games we had no business being in, we get 1-2 quick strikes and boom we got the game.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Goaltending has saved our ***** this year, it has allowed us to remain in games we had no business being in, we get 1-2 quick strikes and boom we got the game.

Its called rope-a-dope.

Re-watch the Ali vs Foreman fight. Ali's Corsi was terrible :laugh:

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
We had a 2-1 lead. Sens scored 3 unanswered.

unanswered means scored in a row. They did score 3 unanswered goals as they scored 3 in a row

We've had a horse-shoe up are behind all season. The Montreal game we played well but crapped the bed in the later stages, they came within one and had the buzzer been extended for 5 mins they would have made the complete comeback. Philly we were putrid, our saving grace was Bernier stood on his head and we got 2 quick strikes. The Ottawa game we were doing everything we could to gift-wrap a win for the sens, we were lucky to claw our way back from 4-1 to win it in a shooutout (can't expect to do that too often and win). No denying the Leafs have skill, no doubt they are physical but there is an overall an emotional immaturity on this team that needs addressing.

Did you guys watch the game on Saturday? If so you guys have VERY short memories. The Sens were up 2-1 then we tied it to make it 2-2, before they scored 2 more to make it 4-2, then we scored two more to tie at 4 and win in the shootout.

They were not up 4-1, they did not scored 3 unanswered goals, they scored 2 (twice) and so did we.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
When Anderson isn't standing on his head the Sens look very average, I like our team better.

I agree. I like Ottawa's team and think they are playoff bound but I like our team more. Last year there only clear advantage was Karlsson and there miraculous goaltending. This season Bernier/Reims should be able to match them and Karlsson is just one player. We have really owned them the last year and a half. It will be fun to see how it plays out. Either way I think all of Toronto/Boston/Detroit/Ottawa/Montreal make it in.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
oh please, Red Wings have been competitive the last 10 years because they somehow unearthed two superstars in the late rounds, Zetterberg and Datsyuk. Tell me all you want about their depth, strong team play, etc, etc...if it wasn't for 40 and 13, they'd have been cooked.

edit - and Lidstrom of course

Tyler Biggs*

This Leafs team looks like they are on a mission to go far in the playoffs. If they can tighten up defensively, they will be a tough team to beat. It's still early, but I love the moves that Nonis made this past off season.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
The reason they have been so consistent each year is because they draft smartly, their scouts have a knack for knowing which player to pick. Also, they are very good at developing their prospects as well, if you notice Detroit doesn't rush their players and they let them develop at their own pace.

They lucked out to some degree as well. If they knew how good Zetterberg, Datsyuk & Lidstrom were going to be, they would have selected them higher in the draft. The idea that they're patient with their prospects is somewhat true, but also not exactly brilliance, because nobody drafts from overseas players in the 6th and 7th round and plays in them in the NHL as teenagers.

Their team otherwise is probably a lottery team, and they'd be "playing the kids" while looking at McDavid.

Like, if the Leafs luck out with a guy like Andres Johnson, I probably wouldn't call it "smart" drafting. Nonis probably never heard of that guy until that weekend.

Tyler Biggs*

The next 5 games the Leafs are playing Colorado, Nashville, Edmonton, Minnesota and Carolina. 4 out of those 5 teams were not playoff teams last year. The Leafs at the very least have to be sitting at 6-2-0 after that swing; gotta get the points when you can and feast on the weaker teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad