News Article: Leafs impressing

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
You'd think NHL.com would know we're all smoke and mirrors and that we shouldnt have won any games yet.

Maybe someone should send them an email with a link to advanced stats info?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
The Leafs are fortunate to be 3-0 so far. When the D starts playing at even an average level, that's when I'll be impressed.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Barry Melrose probably just saw the standings and boxscores. To say that the Leafs have been rock solid all around is pushing it. They could play a lot better than these first three games.

EDDIE20*

For a team that's only played about 3 decent periods so far, I'll take the 3-0 record.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
You'd think NHL.com would know we're all smoke and mirrors and that we shouldnt have won any games yet.

Maybe someone should send them an email with a link to advanced stats info?

they're just baiting LeafLand to start the "parade" talk;)

.....just so they can crush them later

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
The Leafs are fortunate to be 3-0 so far. When the D starts playing at even an average level, that's when I'll be impressed.

We've had a horse-shoe up are behind all season. The Montreal game we played well but crapped the bed in the later stages, they came within one and had the buzzer been extended for 5 mins they would have made the complete comeback. Philly we were putrid, our saving grace was Bernier stood on his head and we got 2 quick strikes. The Ottawa game we were doing everything we could to gift-wrap a win for the sens, we were lucky to claw our way back from 4-1 to win it in a shooutout (can't expect to do that too often and win). No denying the Leafs have skill, no doubt they are physical but there is an overall an emotional immaturity on this team that needs addressing.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
We've had a horse-shoe up are behind all season. The Montreal game we played well but crapped the bed in the later stages, they came within one and had the buzzer been extended for 5 mins they would have made the complete comeback. Philly we were putrid, our saving grace was Bernier stood on his head and we got 2 quick strikes. The Ottawa game we were doing everything we could to gift-wrap a win for the sens, we were lucky to claw our way back from 4-1 to win it in a shooutout (can't expect to do that too often and win). No denying the Leafs have skill, no doubt they are physical but there is an overall an emotional immaturity on this team that needs addressing.

We had a 2-1 lead. Sens scored 3 unanswered.

Riellyfan04

Feb 25, 2010
Toronto On
lol the dude doesn't even watch the games! We've played meh! and he says we've played solid! oh man! someone wants some fans!!!! LOL

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
I really doubt he's watched the games.
On any night the goaltending, whether it's Jonathan Bernier or James Reimer, has been very, very solid, the Leafs aren't giving up very many offensive chances against and they just look rock solid all around.

I like Reimer, but I don't think he was solid the other night.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Did he not see, that LAVIOLETTE was the problem in Philly and that's why we beat them.

Re:
I still think the Boston Bruins, Detroit Red Wings and Ottawa Senators are the three top teams in the Atlantic Division, but Toronto is looking like it will be right up there. I have the Maple Leafs rated a little below those three teams, but they're a player. They're going to be right there all season and they definitely look like they'll be a playoff team again.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=21139&navid=nhl:topheads

NobodyBeatsTheWiz14

Jul 2, 2009
Toronto

We had a 2-1 lead. Sens scored 3 unanswered.

lol neither one of you watched the game on Saturday...:laugh:

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Man, we're a tough crowd to please. :laugh:

In most publications, we are torn to shreds by the local nerd hack writers. Now we have a legit former NHL coach doling out the praises and we all refuse to buy it.

I know some of our players have been sloppy, but most of the guys in the league are at this time of year. It's why there is so many PPG superstars like Frattin and Bolland still.

When things tighten up in a month or so, we'll see why we are still in the picture, it'll be because we are still scoring a lot, and our goaltending is almost never easy to solve.

MrLegend28*

i dunno why people bag on Advanced Stats. if Reimer remains in net on Saturday the score is like 8-3 Ottawa. Not our (advanced stats fan) fault that Bernier is solid at his job and can save situations. doesnt mean he always will.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Man, we're a tough crowd to please. :laugh:

In most publications, we are torn to shreds by the local nerd hack writers. Now we have a legit former NHL coach doling out the praises and we all refuse to buy it.

I know some of our players have been sloppy, but most of the guys in the league are at this time of year. It's why there is so many PPG superstars like Frattin and Bolland still.

When things tighten up in a month or so, we'll see why we are still in the picture, it'll be because we are still scoring a lot, and our goaltending is almost never easy to solve.

Trouble is, it's backhanded praise because he sill picks us behind...

I still think the Boston Bruins, Detroit Red Wings and Ottawa Senators are the three top teams in the Atlantic Division,

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Trouble is, it's backhanded praise because he sill picks us behind...

Not really. Most people have picked them to be the class of the conference. He says we are right below them, in his eyes. That's not really back-handed, the way I see it. I wouldn't put us above DET and BOS.

OTT on the other hand.....:sarcasm:

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Think everyone's so used to failure that they can't be happy with a 3-0 start. Honestly I wonder how many years it will take until we had the level of optimism that existed before.

Defence has been shaky, but forwards are scoring, goaltending has mostly been solid and special teams are doing enough to get the job done. Yeah, we're not perfect out there, but good enough to get the job done gets you in the playoffs so we just have to keep it up.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Not really. Most people have picked them to be the class of the conference. He says we are right below them, in his eyes. That's not really back-handed, the way I see it. I wouldn't put us above DET and BOS.

OTT on the other hand.....:sarcasm:

When Anderson isn't standing on his head the Sens look very average, I like our team better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad