Rumor: Leafs heavily scouting Carolina

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
I was offering in your words "idle speculation" to a perspective (Marleau a 19-20 Leaf foregone conclusion) which impacts practically every cap discussion that is speculated on here. My goal is to better open people's minds by not closing off the contrary option in every discussion.

I think you all have made up your minds on the Marleau situation which is cool.
I'm happy to leave this till the off-season.

But if Marleau is gone the Bomber will not be merciful! ;)
Well well well. Seems everyone's fave flogged horse: a) actually wanted out of Toronto, b) was traded and c) bought out.

I'll leave the gloating for the Don Cherry's of the world but the Marleau debate did practically waste a year of roster speculations due to closed minds. No one is always right but remember kids always keep your stick on the ice - and: Total Recall GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Reactions: smitty10

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I would not be surprised in the least if the Marleau trade was part 1 of a two part trade that is concluded after July 1st.

I think the logical conclusion is that a major forward is going to Carolina for some form of defense help. If the forward is major enough, maybe the 2020 1st rounder is coming back. I can't see why Carolina would want Zaitsev.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I would not be surprised in the least if the Marleau trade was part 1 of a two part trade that is concluded after July 1st.

I think the logical conclusion is that a major forward is going to Carolina for some form of defense help. If the forward is major enough, maybe the 2020 1st rounder is coming back. I can't see why Carolina would want Zaitsev.
It would make more sense for sure

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

Nylander for Pesce

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Lets go sign Marleau now for minimum...he is much prettier wearing a $900K contract

That is all he was costing Toronto essentially even before the trade when you factor him is as Horton replacement on LTIR.

Marleau @ $6.25 mil - Horton LTIR @ $5.3 mil = $950k.

Leaf could have named Patty Marleau as the official replacement for Horton and then overspent the hard cap ceiling of $81.5 mil + Horton $5.3 mil = $86.8.

Only $950k needed to count in the $81.5 mil so that would be the same now if Leafs resigned him for $900k.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Lets go sign Marleau now for minimum...he is much prettier wearing a $900K contract
Have to to be honest, he was playing like he should be the press box. Marleau in the top 9 is a net negative, even if free. On the 4th line, what's the point, and he doesn't really provide that spark or energy you want with that line. Hard pass for me, he's done and it only deteriorates further next year, which is scary bad.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Have to to be honest, he was playing like he should be the press box. Marleau in the top 9 is a net negative, even if free. On the 4th line, what's the point, and he doesn't really provide that spark or energy you want with that line. Hard pass for me, he's done and it only deteriorates further next year, which is scary bad.

Marleau is playing to keep his streak alive. The Leafs have bigger goals (we hope).

Reactions: DarkKnight

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
That is all he was costing Toronto essentially even before the trade when you factor him is as Horton replacement on LTIR.

Leaf could have named Patty Marleau as the official replacement for Horton and then overspent the hard cap ceiling of $81.5 mil + Horton $5.3 mil = $86.8.

Only $950k needed to count in the $81.5 mil so that would be the same now if Leafs resigned him for $900k.

He would have cost them 6.25, stop the ridiculous spin. If he was still on the roster, its 6.25M that couldn't have been spent elsewhere.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Uh... what?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

That's not how LTIR works - Marleau couldn't be Horton's replacement, as his cap hit is higher than Horton's.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

He'll provide much better value on his next contract. I'll be surprised if that contract isn't with SJ. Dubas wouldn't have traded away a 1st if a Marleau return was a plan or possibility.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad