Confirmed with Link: Leafs have acquired D Mark Giordano (50% retained) and F Colin Blackwell for 2nd, 2nd, 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

djs711

Oct 1, 2010
Flames fan here

Watched Gio his whole career. I know he's 38, but the muted enthusiasm here is a little surprising, given what I know about Gio.

This is a quietly brilliant move by your GM for one reason, and that is TJ Brodie.

What some may fail to consider is that Gio and Brodie were one of the top pairings in the league for several years, and possible THE best pairing in the 18-19 season when they tore up the league and resulted in Gio winning the Norris. For whatever reason the sum of those two was always greater than the parts. Apart, they looked decent, yet ordinary. But those two were magic together, and not all that long ago either.

Out of all the D acquisitions the Leafs could make based on what was available, this one had the highest upside just because of that history and the chance that they could still have it.

If those two still have their chemistry then they'll be a solid, solid pairing for you guys.

I would get excited for that possibility. I would take those two back as a package any day, even today. They were that good.

Best of luck against the Florida teams.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Justin Holl. If Muzzin comes back, Sandin is out.

Giordano-Brodie
Rielly-Lyubushkin
Muzzin-Liljegren

or

Giordano-Brodie
Rielly-Liljegren
Sandin-Lyubushkin
Liljegren isnt gonna end up playing ober Sandin

Sandin probably just plays the right side.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I can see it happening, but Liljegren should play ahead of Sandin and Holl. He's got no connection to Dubas though, so you're right that he'll probably sit out.
I think Sandin is better. I could definitely see Liljegren get in there if Sandin struggles.

Agreed, his connection to Dubas helps him.

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
Setting side whatever the boilerplate value of a 2nd round pick may be (our apparently good scouting staff doesn't elevate the value of a 2nd rounder to 1st round value all of a sudden...), doesn't the fact that we have apparently 'hit' on recent 2nd rounders like Robertson and Knies, and a 3rd rounder like Niemela, lower the relative value of those 2nd rounders for us? Those prospects are starting to look like money in the bag relative to future draft pick gambles.

Our prospect pool is quite decent, we've still got our 1st rounders, and we're in 'win now mode' regardless of your opinion of this team's competitiveness. Let's not fetishise draft picks too much because we all love obsessively following prospects (that's why we're on the Hockey's Future boards to begin with, right :))

Maybe I'm thinking too highly of Giordano (was chatting with a Flames fan friend after this trade who echoed the comment of the Flames fan above), but trading away a couple 2nd rounders was the least of my concern re: 'mortgaging the future' (and Blackwell's a nice under the radar pickup too). The Foligno trade made me cringe at the time (and I try not to even think about it in retrospect...); losing a couple 2nds gets a 'meh' from me.

Reactions: saltming

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Setting side whatever the boilerplate value of a 2nd round pick may be (our apparently good scouting staff doesn't elevate the value of a 2nd rounder to 1st round value all of a sudden...), doesn't the fact that we have apparently 'hit' on recent 2nd rounders like Robertson and Knies, and a 3rd rounder like Niemela, lower the relative value of those 2nd rounders for us? Those prospects are starting to look like money in the bag relative to future draft pick gambles.

Our prospect pool is quite decent, we've still got our 1st rounders, and we're in 'win now mode' regardless of your opinion of this team's competitiveness. Let's not fetishise draft picks too much because we all love obsessively following prospects (that's why we're on the Hockey's Future boards to begin with, right :))

Maybe I'm thinking too highly of Giordano (was chatting with a Flames fan friend after this trade who echoed the comment of the Flames fan above), but trading away a couple 2nd rounders was the least of my concern re: 'mortgaging the future' (and Blackwell's a nice under the radar pickup too). The Foligno trade made me cringe at the time (and I try not to even think about it in retrospect...); losing a couple 2nds gets a 'meh' from me.

I’d let the draft picks develop a little bit before we declare them hits.

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
I’d let the draft picks develop a little bit before we declare them hits.
I did add 'apparently' and 'starting to look like' as qualifiers for a reason! (And, to be clear, 'money in the bag' was meant in terms of 'good prospect capital' rather than guaranteed NHLers...)

But Robertson, Knies, and Niemela are all definitely higher value today than their original draft position.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I did add 'apparently' and 'starting to look like' as qualifiers for a reason! (And, to be clear, 'money in the bag' was meant in terms of 'good prospect capital' rather than guaranteed NHLers...)

But Robertson, Knies, and Niemela are all definitely higher value today than their original draft position.

Robertson’s value has dropped a lot over the last two years, but he’s not done developing yet.

Reactions: AlienWorkShop
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad