Confirmed with Link: Leafs have acquired D Mark Giordano (50% retained) and F Colin Blackwell for 2nd, 2nd, 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Picture Bunting but Blackwell plays the body more, however limited offensively.

Watch our 6-4W earlier this month against the Kraken - Blackwell had 1g/1a and was all over the place with a shorty. He's small, but skates well and hard, and supposedly Panarin also loved playing with him when he was the with Rags. Good depth piece.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
2 2nds for an 38 year old pending UFA.... this seems desperate. I think management told Dubas it's this season or bust and 1st and A prospects are off limits at the trade deadline.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Blackwell in, Engvall out. Engvall is nice defensively but he plays in a position that we need more intangibles from. We need to keep adding tough players to play against and moving out our soft bottom six players.

Holls Blackmail

“We’re not…how you say….pu*** boys here”
Oct 9, 2021
gio is with brodie. not even a question. chemistry already there and gio is a top 4 D man.
They'll try it but its possible it won't stick and Keefe will like to balance ruggedness and experience with skill and speed on each pairing.

That chemistry was from almost 3 years ago. Not really relevant today.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Excited for Gio. He blocks shots, doesn't give up on plays, can play with an edge and gives us a shot from the point. All things this team sorely needs.
I think that’s the one great thing he brings is the desire to win which helps with leadership and shot blocking. Only guys on this team that put their bodies in lanes adequately are Holl “, Bush and Brodie. So the potential for Gio and Brodie to pair up could be great for blocking shots. But then, that leaves a huge issue at 1RD asking Bush to eat 23/night when he hasn’t sniffed 20.

Aside from that, not a big fan of this asset cost of swapping Dermott for Gio and giving a 2nd, and then effectively a 2nd for a bottom six energy guy in Blackwell. It’s not that I dislike the players, and while the asset cost isn’t exorbitant compared to Chiarot, it’s definitely not cheap for a centrepiece who purportedly pulled a Giroux and called his sole destination yet this deal seems weaker for us than Florida.

I do really like Blackwell though, he’s got that hustle and constant compete level we’ve sorely lacked so I’m excited to see what he brings.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
They'll try it but its possible it won't stick and Keefe will like to balance ruggedness and experience with skill and speed on each pairing.

That chemistry was from almost 3 years ago. Not really relevant today.
I think it is. Lily wont be in top 2 pairing. I

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Excited for Gio. He blocks shots, doesn't give up on plays, can play with an edge and gives us a shot from the point. All things this team sorely needs.

He's also a leader, the type of guy that just might help our young stars play up to their potential in the playoffs.

If we have success in the playoffs, the key won't be because of how some rental plays, it will be because our goaltending somehow sorts itself out and our young stars play to their potential. Can't expect to solve our goaltending at the TDL so spending 1st round picks etc. would just be stupid because if the goaltending isn't there, we're toast anyway. This was the deal I thought would happen, was hoping would happen because Gio can still play so he will help in that regard in the short term, and he might have that desired effect on our young stars and he will probably resign with us. We got another guy in the trade too who's an asset, funny how everyone's ignoring that, kind of the same way people are still talking about how we traded Kadri for Barrie as if Kerfoot didn't even exist.

Very pleased with this, well done Dubas. Come back soon Jack and play the way you know you can!

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I think that’s the one great thing he brings is the desire to win which helps with leadership and shot blocking. Only guys on this team that put their bodies in lanes adequately are Holl “, Bush and Brodie. So the potential for Gio and Brodie to pair up could be great for blocking shots. But then, that leaves a huge issue at 1RD asking Bush to eat 23/night when he hasn’t sniffed 20.

Aside from that, not a big fan of this asset cost of swapping Dermott for Gio and giving a 2nd, and then effectively a 2nd for a bottom six energy guy in Blackwell. It’s not that I dislike the players, and while the asset cost isn’t exorbitant compared to Chiarot, it’s definitely not cheap for a centrepiece who purportedly pulled a Giroux and called his sole destination yet this deal seems weaker for us than Florida.

I do really like Blackwell though, he’s got that hustle and constant compete level we’ve sorely lacked so I’m excited to see what he brings.

Do you realize how few second rounders ever become NHL players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad