Confirmed with Link: Leafs have acquired D Mark Giordano (50% retained) and F Colin Blackwell for 2nd, 2nd, 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Calgary let him go for nothing to Seattle and the Flames have not missed a beat
ur talking about two different things though.

Leafs made a smart deal and when you look at the market today, they got good value. Most teams overpaid. If Gio plays like he has this season, it's solid. If he stays next season on a good deal, the deal looks even better. And colin was a nice gritty pickup.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Well, Robertson and Knies... would you trade Robertson and Knies for Gio and Blackwell

They are the exceptions, not the rule. Less than 25% of second rounders become NHL players. So if you were betting, would you bet on the 25% chance or the 75% chance?

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Well, Robertson and Knies... would you trade Robertson and Knies for Gio and Blackwell
We’ve actually hit on 2nds at a pretty good clip the last while - since 2015 draft ~67% are NHLers or trending to potential hits (Hirvonen)

Last edited:

McSnypsky

Jun 22, 2019
I's like to see just for a bit, Sandin Brodie, Gio Lilly, just for a little don't go crazy!! ;)

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
When 75% of them fail to become NHL players no, it really isn't.
Yep, it is. You’re failing to consider the full scope of the asset, looking at it myopically through the singular lens of whether the asset will be a bonafide NHL player. Reducing the scope to whether a team is projected to hit on pick at a favourable rate because it suits your argument is lacking assessment depth by electing to not incorporate the trade value of the asset, which is proven by so many of the the trades we’re seeing where solid NHL players are being acquired via inclusion of 2nd round picks.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I think that’s the one great thing he brings is the desire to win which helps with leadership and shot blocking. Only guys on this team that put their bodies in lanes adequately are Holl “, Bush and Brodie. So the potential for Gio and Brodie to pair up could be great for blocking shots. But then, that leaves a huge issue at 1RD asking Bush to eat 23/night when he hasn’t sniffed 20.

Aside from that, not a big fan of this asset cost of swapping Dermott for Gio and giving a 2nd, and then effectively a 2nd for a bottom six energy guy in Blackwell. It’s not that I dislike the players, and while the asset cost isn’t exorbitant compared to Chiarot, it’s definitely not cheap for a centrepiece who purportedly pulled a Giroux and called his sole destination yet this deal seems weaker for us than Florida.

I do really like Blackwell though, he’s got that hustle and constant compete level we’ve sorely lacked so I’m excited to see what he brings.
Look at it this way. Giordano got a 2nd and 4th. Blackwell bumped that 4th up to a 2nd. The third was for the all important retention of $3.375 million (50%).

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Leafs really going in on D being the difference in the playoffs taking the Kraken's best defensive D and the best defensive player in their bottom 6. Considering good defensive numbers were the best thing the Kraken had going for them, this deal looks pretty solid.

Up there with the Giroux deal as the best of the bunch although the fact both players were dictating where they wanted to go probably had something to do with it.

If the Leafs could somehow grab a solid goalie now, I will be hyped up for the postseason.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Mark Giordano lists Toronto's run to the 1993 Western Conference Final as his favourite memory growing up as a Leafs fan.

"I really thought that they were going to get to the Cup that year against the Montreal Canadiens, but Wayne Gretzky spoiled those plans," Giordano said in a Zoom call with reporters.

Now, Giordano gets his chance to help his hometown team get over the hump.

"It means a lot," the 38-year-old defenceman said. "It's funny, you know, I turned pro and got into Calgary and you sort of hope the Leafs don't win because you're jealous of your hometown team winning the Cup. Now that I'm able to get back to Toronto and be a part of it, it's a great opportunity for myself to be a part of something special."

"You can see the skill on the team is right up there with anyone in the league," said Giordano.

Giordano described playing at home as "a huge bonus" but made it clear his No. 1 objective is chasing down an elusive championship. He's only suited up in 23 Stanley Cup playoff games since breaking into the league during the 2005-06 season.

"To be able to come to a team that has a real good shot at creating some damage in playoffs is something I'm really excited about," Giordano said. "I'm really excited to get back into the mix and get back into games that have playoff implications."

Giordano, who sat out Seattle's last two games, is hoping to make his Leafs debut on Wednesday against the New Jersey Devils, but noted that decision will be left to the coaching staff.

"Sitting out waiting for the trade deadline wasn't the funnest thing so I'm looking forward to playing in a game again," he said.

Giordano has worn No. 5, but that number is retired in Toronto thanks to Bill Barilko.

"I'll stick to something with a five in it," Giordano said. "Hopefully 55 is available or something like that."

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Can totally see the leafs trading down some firsts to regain some picks. Probably get some picks back from off season trades too.

I still wanted a forward over a dman, but this crop is a solid as we’ve ever seen in the org…

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Leafs really going in on D being the difference in the playoffs taking the Kraken's best defensive D and the best defensive player in their bottom 6. Considering good defensive numbers were the best thing the Kraken had going for them, this deal looks pretty solid.

Up there with the Giroux deal as the best of the bunch although the fact both players were dictating where they wanted to go probably had something to do with it.

If the Leafs could somehow grab a solid goalie now, I will be hyped up for the postseason.
dubas is finally getting it. defense and compete level wins in the playoffs. u need 2 way players.

i hope campbell comes back strong

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
would like to see blackwell up on L2 with willy and jt

looks like he was getting increasing minutes (~15min/night) and doing quite well (7pts/5 games) with the kraken before the trade

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

Mark Giordano lists Toronto's run to the 1993 Western Conference Final as his favourite memory growing up as a Leafs fan.

"I really thought that they were going to get to the Cup that year against the Montreal Canadiens, but Wayne Gretzky spoiled those plans," Giordano said in a Zoom call with reporters.

Not a true Leafs fan.

He blamed Gretzky and not Kerry Fraser.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
No clue why so many people around here thought the Leafs were going to prioritize goalies and forwards over defensemen this TDL. It's good to see management knows what's up, they clearly view the D being a problem and rightfully so.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
The question is would you trade Robertson or Knies for a 2nd round pick each? I would not. Their value is equivalent to a 1st round pick right now. Which means their value is higher than the draft number they were originally selected at. I would rather keep the prospects who are much closer to be being NHL ready than picks that are being made in the future and are years and years away.

Reactions: hockeywiz542 and kb

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
No clue why so many people around here thought the Leafs were going to prioritize goalies and forwards over defensemen this TDL. It's good to see management knows what's up, they clearly view the D being a problem and rightfully so.
They got Blackwell in the Gio deal, which is an underrated acquisition.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
They got Blackwell in the Gio deal, which is an underrated acquisition.
A complimentary piece of the trade. D was clearly the main target for management this TDL. They didn't seem to be of the belief that just plugging another goalie in will fix everything like many around here thought.

riffle

Mar 17, 2022
East of Eden

Now, Giordano gets his chance to help his hometown team get over the hump.

"It means a lot," the 38-year-old defenceman said. "It's funny, you know, I turned pro and got into Calgary and you sort of hope the Leafs don't win because you're jealous of your hometown team winning the Cup. Now that I'm able to get back to Toronto and be a part of it, it's a great opportunity for myself to be a part of something special."

"You can see the skill on the team is right up there with anyone in the league," said Giordano.

Giordano described playing at home as "a huge bonus" but made it clear his No. 1 objective is chasing down an elusive championship. He's only suited up in 23 Stanley Cup playoff games since breaking into the league during the 2005-06 season.

"To be able to come to a team that has a real good shot at creating some damage in playoffs is something I'm really excited about," Giordano said. "I'm really excited to get back into the mix and get back into games that have playoff implications."

Giordano, who sat out Seattle's last two games, is hoping to make his Leafs debut on Wednesday against the New Jersey Devils, but noted that decision will be left to the coaching staff.

"Sitting out waiting for the trade deadline wasn't the funnest thing so I'm looking forward to playing in a game again," he said.

Giordano has worn No. 5, but that number is retired in Toronto thanks to Bill Barilko.

"I'll stick to something with a five in it," Giordano said. "Hopefully 55 is available or something like that."

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
A complimentary piece of the trade. D was clearly the main target for management this TDL. They didn't seem to be of the belief that just plugging another goalie in will fix everything like many around here thought.
Still added depth and they also signed Sateri. They still have lots of time to add a forward and a goalie if they want. Prices may come down as we get closer to 3pm. Anton Forsberg from OTT would be a good trade.

Reactions: hockeywiz542
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad