Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Habs - 10/12/2022 SN Opening Night of the Regular season

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Its interesting how a lot of stars around the league are injured during pre season and camp, but miraculously heal themselves for the first games. Fact is, this has been happening for 30 plus years. Crosby used to do it yearly. I suppose they earn the right to skip camps when they became vets. I don't believe he was hurt. And I bet he plays in the first game. Any takers?
Why the deception? Teams aren't obligated to dress these players in pre-season.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Regular seasons eve. The journey starts again.

You know, playoff games are way too stressful sometimes but one thing I’m not looking forward to with regular season games is how we’re all likely going to be overanalyzing and critiquing every win and how it may potentially correlate to the playoffs. I know that none of us really gave af how we got any win in the playoffs as long as we won; Corsi and whatever be damned. I can’t be the only one who feels this way.

Reactions: 29Potvin and Jojalu

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
2 teams in the league are in true cap hell- Leafs and Panthers. 20 man roster, no spares, no one on IR to become spares when they get back and players on LTIR who will not be out all season with no space to activate them when healthy without exposing someone to waivers who will likely be claimed.

Funny, this hell of maybe having to play a player short in the odd game doesn't feel all that hot.

Its interesting how a lot of stars around the league are injured during pre season and camp, but miraculously heal themselves for the first games. Fact is, this has been happening for 30 plus years. Crosby used to do it yearly. I suppose they earn the right to skip camps when they became vets. I don't believe he was hurt. And I bet he plays in the first game. Any takers?

No sense in not taking every possible minute to recover from any slight twinge you might feel in preseason.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I love Gio, but I’d also like to limit his minutes. Not giving Sandin a PP opportunity is just plain wrong at this point, you’ll never convince me he’s a downgrade on Gio. Heck, if we’re being honest, the first PP is a good fit for his skill set.
Don't think the coach is a big fan of young Rasmus.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Would be great to see Matthews & Nylander score a few.
Managed to snag them both in my pool so I’m with ya, but I can’t see Matthews being better this year. Not because he can’t be, he’s frickin insane, easily the best goal scorer in hockey right now, but he went 50-in-50 and paced 65+ goals. Is it realistic to think he’s got a whole other gear where he’s a 70 goal, 125+ point season? Breaking Gilmour’s season point total would be unbelievable. Nylander tho I think has another gear where he’s a 95-100pt player depending on the season, I wanna see them all feast on that Habs team this year. Let the Habs have Bedard as long as we beat them all year like a rented mule

Reactions: saffronleaf

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Nylander and Malgin looked good when put together in the pre-season. Both creative players that can skate seemlessly. Hopefully they can work it around and JT can be a beneficiary sneaking into those quiet spots on the ice like he's done so well throughout his career. Robertson or Malgin in that top 6 spot though makes me feel much better than Kerfoot being up there again. Also, the ripple effect of having Kerfoot be a defensively responsible, playmaking C with speed on the 3rd line, also gives our 3rd line a nice new look. I think Engvall-Kerfoot-Jarnkrok should all be good for around 15 goals a piece, while providing a solid defensive presence

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
I would expect a win probably 4/5-1/2

Not going to be shocked if the Habs play out of their minds though

Same with the sens game 3

Reactions: saffronleaf

Bellefour20

Jan 25, 2021
Sunshine Coast, British Columbia
Why the deception? Teams aren't obligated to dress these players in pre-season.
Aren't teams supposed to dress a minimum number of veteran players for pre season? Teams telling the league, fans, and media that their favourite players will be opting out of the preseason, doesn't send a great message. Much like players avoiding the All Star weekend with various excuses.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Surprised no one has been discussing the fact the Habs went winless in the pre-season... almost guaranteeing they win on opening night 🧐

Excited to see the full team get going tomorrow night. No doubt this is not what the roster will look like come trade deadline.

Biggest question for me is what do we get with this goaltending tandem. All we need is average goaltending imo and we content for the division title.

Also, someone asked what time to tune in... probably sometime Thursday. It takes time to hand that torch to 24 people right.

Go Leafs Go

Reactions: Gallagbi

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Habs will probably win.. they’ll have an aggressive fast start and catch the Leafs off guard (who will be sloppy) to go up a few goals. Toronto will get their footing and come back but ultimately fall short.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
The best lineup is playing, not sure why everyone is so up in arms, you are acting like Simmonds got in over Robertson.
I've spent all of 21/22 advocating for Simmonds removal from the team.

That doesn't mean anyone not named Simmonds is by default better. That seems a bit too harsh even for me.

We have no idea if Malgin is a better 2nd liner than Simmonds is a 4th liner. Heck, Simmonds has at least 10 games out of 82 where his body holds up and he can either be an elite bottom 6 or fill in second liner. I'll give Malgin a small simple test for now to have 10 games where we genuinely see an NHL top 6er, and no none of the pre season games count towards this 10. (but obviously not 82 games to do it, 10 / 15 games he impresses us in some manner seems fair for now before I pull the plug and put in Robertson. Others who like Malgin might be more strict than me).

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
this league is so stupid with these hard salary caps....

Its such an obvious fix also, you do a increasing luxury tax and set it up in such a way that it disproportionately benefits the lower earning franchises more. It would be a huge win for the players and a huge win for escaping this mundane parody in the league.

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
Nice deep line up! (On paper)

I found a leaked video of dubas talking to Keefe after last year's exit.
inception-deeper.gif

Don't ban me mods

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
Going to the game on Saturday vs the Sens.. I am so bloody excited! I haven't been to a Leaf game since 93 at the old Gardens with my dad! Brother gifted me a pair of tickets from his work and I am taking my mother! WOOOO!!! GO LEAFS GO!!!!!!!!!!
I too have a realtive who works for the sens but they told me you can’t get free tickets against the leafs or the habs… :/

What gives Aaron.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad