Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Habs - 10/12/2022 SN Opening Night of the Regular season

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
lotsa balls in the air still right now but this is what the lines probably look like for both teams at the moment....pending some injury updates...

Game1.png

Reactions: Slyfox

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
That explanation for Malgin over Robertson was awful.

Malgin was picked because Robertson was waiver eligible and our GM can’t manage the cap. Nice lol.

If I was Robertson I’d have my agent request a trade asap
Au Contraire. They managed the cap quite nicely. They still have moves to make but they are 4 bucks short of a max cap ceiling.

Also, kudos to ZAR for being patient and flexible.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021

Malgin was picked because Robertson was waiver eligible and our GM can’t manage the cap. Nice lol.

If i was GM and had to make the same decision on Robertson and Malgin i'd lease a 10k a month penthouse suite for Nick to "crash" in, lease a 2023 Lincoln navigator with an unlimited gas card for him to borrow and accidentally leave a backpack with 500K in untraceable bills in his apartment next week.
Creative cap management.

Edit: Also, lets kick some hab ass on Wednesday please and thank you.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

How was the explaination awful? It was the truth.

Robertson will be part of the Leafs soon enough and I would guess he understands the situation.

No different than when the Jays kept Vladdy and Bo down to have the extra year of control.

It's actually a good rhing to have players who are NHL ready waiting in the wings. Depth shouldn't be an issue for the Leafs this year

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I would prefer Robertson come onto the roster hungry, rather than have him fed too early.

That he has to wait a little longer might make him want it all the more.

If this gives him a little piss and vinegar, then I don't mind that either.

I like my hockey players a little pissed off and angry, and not all jolly and happy with the World. Fred Gauthier might have panned out if he'd eaten broken glass for breakfast, but he was too happy and jolly.

No need to coddle Robertson.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Doesn't seem like many spots were won in training camp. Looks pretty much as expected in July (sans ZAR).

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
Robertson just turned 21 and he still has areas of his game to work on (Skating, Strength etc). I have no problem if he's working on these for 20+ minutes a night on the first line with the Marlies. However, I suspect he'll be called up after the first game and might play a bit with us until Tavares is ready to go.

As long as he continues to improve, he'll likley be a full time Leaf by at least the end of this year.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Doesn't seem like many spots were won in training camp. Looks pretty much as expected in July (sans ZAR).
I don't think it turned out as expected for Wayne Simmonds, Nick Robertson and Dennis Malgin. Those were all big decisions that could not have been predicted before training camp.

There were a lot of options, and I thought some very serious competition for the open spots. Even though they didn't make the team, Gaudette, Steeves and Mete might have made it through onto the kind of Leafs' roster they had a few years ago.

I think the level of competition in camp was pretty good.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I don't think it turned out as expected for Wayne Simmonds, Nick Robertson and Dennis Malgin. Those were all big decisions that could not have been predicted before training camp.

There were a lot of options, and I thought some very serious competition for the open spots. Even though they didn't make the team, Gaudette, Steeves and Mete might have made it through onto the kind of Leafs' roster they had a few years ago.

I think the level of competition in camp was pretty good.
I think Simmonds and Robertson knew. NAK and ZAR were penciled in as soon as they signed/signed a PTO respectively.

After Marchment's breakout last year it was nailed on Malgin would get a shot. We sign half a dozen 4th liners each season. There's no room for the kids. They'll get spot duty though. It was billed up to be a competition for a few spots and unfortunately, I don't think it was ever on the cards.

Anywho, it's been decided. Hopefully we'll see in April.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I think Simmonds and Robertson knew. NAK and ZAR were penciled in as soon as they signed/signed a PTO respectively.

After Marchment's breakout last year it was nailed on Malgin would get a shot. We sign half a dozen 4th liners each season. There's no room for the kids. They'll get spot duty though. It was billed up to be a competition for a few spots and unfortunately, I don't think it was ever on the cards.

Anywho, it's been decided. Hopefully we'll see in April.

Why do you make things up? Malgin is getting a shot because he was the best option, he outplayed everyone, and Robertson was the only one who gave him competition.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Why do you make things up? Malgin is getting a shot because he was the best option, he outplayed everyone, and Robertson was the only one who gave him competition.
Don't be fooled. This was decided a long time ago. It's no biggie. Just the way it is. There was no competition for spots due in large part to the cap, as well as the signings we made.

It's like ZAR wasn't really on a PTO. It was organized beforehand.

Reactions: Racer88

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I'm still shocked there's no cap casualties.

Dubas has created one every year and this one shouldn't be any different.

Something will shake up.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

probably not in the front office's mind, true, but at the same time most fans/media were looking at a depth chart looking like this coming into camp....

Bunting --- Matthews --- Marner
Kerfoot --- Tavares --- Nylander
Engvall --- Kampf --- Jarnkrok
Simmonds --- Gaudette - NAK
(Clifford)

with guys like ZAR and Robertson and Malgin more longshots than contenders for a spot, so it's probably a surprise to most how it turned out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad