Proposal: Leafs-Flyers

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
I have to admit, after so much stuff against Matthews/Marner from Finnish posters, it's weird to see the homerism in the Leafs favour this time :laugh:

Leo's a fine player Philly should want, but that is certainly overrating him.

I don't think I was overrating him. Even the Philly fans pretty much agreed with them adding Schenn above him which is up to debate.

G&C are obvious better than him but as they are C and Leo W so didn't see a need to add them in that list.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I don't think I was overrating him. Even the Philly fans pretty much agreed with them adding Schenn above him which is up to debate.

G&C are obvious better than him but as they are C and Leo W so didn't see a need to add them in that list.

There is no debate if Schenn is above Leo or not. It's not close.

Leo K. is 29 and had his career year....19 goals and 36 points.
Schenn is 24 and had his career year....26 goals and 59 points.

It's not close.

Leo is better than Raffl, Laughton, Cousins, Weise and Read.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Weird proposal, especially from a poster who doesn't seem to be a fan of either team.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The top 5 forwards are clear.

Giroux
Voracek
Simmonds
Schenn
Couturier

He'd be in competition with Raffl and Weise for a top 6 spot. Things are pretty fluid for these 2nd line/3rd line guys. Two years ago Read was a definite top 6 forward with 22 goals and 40 points in 75 games. Now he's a 3rd liner who could find himself on the 4th line.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Who cares where Leo would fit in Philly? He fits great in Toronto and the Leafs don't wanna move him.

If you can offer a better fit, I'm sure they'd listen... But Streit isn't a better fit and it's unlikely the Flyers would be interested in giving up who the Leafs would want.

Bad, senseless proposal.

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Leafs have enough vet forwards. Streit will help mentor the kids and can be flipped for hopefully a 1st at the deadline if he plays very well. This open another spot for one of their many forward prospects.

Well the Flyers should just keep Streit themselves and trade him at the deadline if they can get a 1st round draft pick for him whether they're in the playoff race or not.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
There's a lot of stupidity coming from both fanbases in this thread.

Unless Travis Konecny makes the team, Leo Komarov would be the Flyers 6th best forward.

That simple.

Due to Streit's advanced age, a one-for-one makes little sense for Toronto. If he was younger, it would make little sense for Philadelphia..because a younger Streit was a top pairing 50+ point defensemen.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Streit is actually one of the rare long term contracts that wasn't garbage for the Flyers, so there is that.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Leafs have enough vet forwards. Streit will help mentor the kids and can be flipped for hopefully a 1st at the deadline if he plays very well. This open another spot for one of their many forward prospects.

Ridiculous.

The Leafs already have a mentor and his name is Leo Komarov.

You know, the guy who speaks multiple languages and has helped Soshnikov with his transition to the NHL and will most likely will help Zaitsev as well. The guys love him (there's a reason we call him Uncle Leo) and I doubt he's going anywhere. Especially for Streit.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
While he is....at the #6 spot, no higher....if Konecny made the team, it's quite possible that he might not be:

Schenn Giroux Simmonds
Voracek Couts Konecny
Komorov Raffl Weise

That would be a hellish 3rd line to play against though.

But there is no need for this discussion to continue. The Leafs don't need Streit and the Flyers are not adding anything for 2 years of Leo.

agree. leafs have no reason to do this deal. they will look for a very good prospect + late 1st for leo at the deadline if they plan to move him at all.

If polak can get a pair of 2nds....

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
A lot. . . 38 year old streit?!?!?

Worth very little, can't see why anyone would trade for him

A team looking to add a very good PPQB & solid PMD should be interested in Streit. Is that Toronto? Not sure, someone will need him at some point.

Last edited:

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
At this point Streit is a 2nd pairing defenseman, and a 2nd PP unit QB on the point that should be able to put up atleast 20-25 points if he can stay healthy.

If Streit could contribute more points with the flyers that could possibly interest a few playoff teams that are looking for an experienced veteran defensemen that can add depth, and that can play on the 2nd PP unit.

It's would make more sense to try and trade Mark Striet at the trade deadline for a draft pick(s)

Also Streit will turn 39 in December and probably wouldn't be worth anything more then a mid to late 2nd round pick or a high 3rd round pick.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
side note

We all see this OP doesn't work, Flyers fans included. No need for pissing match trying to crap on the other teams player.

I'm curious, as flyers fans mentioned a few times about flipping Streit to a contender at the deadline... do you guys not see yourselves making it this year? Legit question, not trying to start a racket.

You've got some decent forwards, good (though many young) D, and if Mason contributes average goaltending I felt like you would at least be in the mix?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
We all see this OP doesn't work, Flyers fans included. No need for pissing match trying to crap on the other teams player.

I'm curious, as flyers fans mentioned a few times about flipping Streit to a contender at the deadline... do you guys not see yourselves making it this year? Legit question, not trying to start a racket.

You've got some decent forwards, good (though many young) D, and if Mason contributes average goaltending I felt like you would at least be in the mix?

Goaltending is the least of the concerns.

Moving Streit is more about making roster room/playing time and potentially getting something for an asset that won't be re-signed. They very well may make the playoffs and maybe even a round, but they won't be a serious contender yet. The D needs time for that.

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
So the Leafs trade a universally beloved fan favorite for an old cap dump that the Fylers just want to rid themselves of?

You can belittle Komarov all you want, none is calling him a top six forward but we like him and we hate Streit.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I don't think the Leafs do that trade, nor should they.

In saying that, Komarov on the Flyers would be pretty good, he'd fit in great IMO.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Most Flyers fans feel that we will build off of last season and be a more legitimate playoff team this season. We improved the bottom 6 with the additions of Dale Weise and Boyd Gordon, which will allow easier match-ups for our top 6. Our coach Dave Hakstol has a year under his belt now which should also help. Add Ivan Provorov and MAYBE Travis Konecny to the mix and we should be a better team and crack 100 points. The reason we are willing to trade Streit is because we already have a blueline crowded with second pairing calibre defensemen and we feel that Provorov is ready to replace Streit in the lineup RIGHT NOW.

Going into the season..their defense will look something like this..

D1: Del Zotto - Gudas
D2: Schultz/MacDonald - Gostisbehere
D3: Provorov - Streit

If we trade Streit..

D1: Del Zotto - Gudas
D2: MacDonald - Gostisbehere
D3: Provorov - Schultz

There is also Samuel Morin knocking on the door in the AHL to make the team and replace Schultz (last year on his contract so he is also a candidate to get traded at the deadline since he won't be extended).

Not a difference that would effect their playoff hopes so why not move Streit for a future asset, and maybe at the same time give him a shot at his first Cup on a team like Dallas or Florida?

The Flyers had one of the best goaltending tandems in the NHL last season.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
A lot. . . 38 year old streit?!?!?

Worth very little, can't see why anyone would trade for him

Maybe the same reason someone traded the Flyers 2 picks for a 40 year old Timonen had missed the whole season with blood clots.

At the deadline, Dmen are the most sought after player. Toronto is obviously not a fit, but if Streit is not injured, and Philly is willing to move him, there will be teams looking to trade for him.

Hell, Washington traded a 3rd for Mike Weber....Streit would get more than you think.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Maybe the same reason someone traded the Flyers 2 picks for a 40 year old Timonen had missed the whole season with blood clots.

At the deadline, Dmen are the most sought after player. Toronto is obviously not a fit, but if Streit is not injured, and Philly is willing to move him, there will be teams looking to trade for him.

Hell, Washington traded a 3rd for Mike Weber....Streit would get more than you think.

You guys ever think about the fact that by the time your defense is fully matured you may have a limited window with Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds etc up front?

DasKaiser

Jun 7, 2016
I don't think you know who Leo is. Flyers would grab it and run. Leo brings a lot to our team, he really is not on the market, especially for someone who could retire in a year. This is a pretty awful proposal.

To answer the OP's original question Philly adds.

No question, Philly has to add. Mute point though, as Toronto would never do this. At their age and imagine salaries, Komo more valuable.

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015

This right here.

Streit, if the groin area is healed and indications point to a recovery will be back and be a sought after commodity at the deadline. if not earlier.

In agreement that Toronto/Flyers are a bad fit.

Speaking for myself I believe the perfect scenario is Streit getting moved at the deadline to make room for young defensemen knocking on the door. Streit is a nice insurance policy incase of injury. The bonus has been paid and the remaining salary would make him very attractive if he plays as expected. I believe the Flyers are a better team than last season and expect them to be 100 plus points.

Thanks!:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad