Soshnikov - - Marleau - - - Brown
Hyman - - Bozak - - VanRiemsdyk

Rielly - - - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Borgman - Carrick

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
But Bozak and Komarov have been awful too.......and Carrick wasn't much.....so there are a lot of holes to fill and not enough talented players to fill them..

There still better than those other two plugs, swapping guys for guys that are worse by pretty much any metric seems pretty counterproductive to me

member 262271

How long was Brown on Matthews' wing last year? I remember it working pretty well, but I might be thinking of that one game vs. Ottawa where Matty "lost" the faceoff right to Brownie resulting in the goal, on Brown's birthday to boot.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Argos got it done last night against Calgary, Leafs get it done against Calgary tomorrow night.

4-3 Leafs.

Last edited:

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I'm not sure if I can think of any line combos that I dislike more than those practice lines. With all the talent in our system, it's hard to believe that Babcock managed to make 4 lines that are all kinda bad for one reason or another.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I

I know....but shouldn't the actual lineup, whatever it is, be practicing together?
If not,what's the point of the practice?

Systems. Maybe the coach just wants to try something. Maybe someone is hurting and the lines are set to accomadate that. Practice lines, especially on non-gamedays dont mean a whole lot.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Makes so much sense.

Marleau doesn't work with Kadri whatsoever, he's never been tried at Matthews' wing, Brown has always looked great alongside Kadri, and maybe, and Babcock can calm his anxiety because he's still got Hyman on Auston's wing. Hell, he might even look better on his natural side.

I think Hyman played a few games on the RW and looked pretty good. If I am Babs I am definitely trying

Marleau-Matthews-Hyman
Koamrov-Kadri-Brown
JVR-Bozak-Marner
Leivo/Sosh/Martin - Moore - Nylander

heck have 4th line as Sosh/Martin - Nylander - Leivo (shelter your 4th line and have additional scoring depth)

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Martin - - - Matthews - - - Marner
Komarov - - - - Kadri - - - - - Leivo
Soshnikov - - Marleau - - - Brown
Hyman - - Bozak - - VanRiemsdyk

Rielly - - - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Borgman - Carrick

doncherry_471.jpg

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It's funny - just flip willy and leo in that lineup and everyone is happy.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
How long was Brown on Matthews' wing last year? I remember it working pretty well, but I might be thinking of that one game vs. Ottawa where Matty "lost" the faceoff right to Brownie resulting in the goal, on Brown's birthday to boot.
it went well because Matthews can look good no matter who he plays with. that's what a generational talent can do. I think JVR - Matthews - Brown would be a lethal first line if we wanted to spread out our offense

Reactions: Fluke Schenn

member 262271

it went well because Matthews can look good no matter who he plays with. that's what a generational talent can do. I think JVR - Matthews - Brown would be a lethal first line if we wanted to spread out our offense
It's very interesting we've never seen JVR with Matthews. Maybe Babs thinks Auston will start chewing on his mouth guard and back checking lazily. I'd say that's a legitimate fear early on with any rookie, don't pair em' with a guy like that, but Auston is different.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It's very interesting we've never seen JVR with Matthews. Maybe Babs thinks Auston will start chewing on his mouth guard and back checking lazily. I'd say that's a legitimate fear early on with any rookie, don't pair em' with a guy like that, but Auston is different.
well playing with Hyman didn't encourage Matthews to chip the puck into the corner every time he has it so I don't think he's the type of guy to pick up bad habits. If anything, Matthews will make JVR work harder

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Nylander break out of his slump tomorrow night

Matthews and McDavid will be Matched up Thursday for the first time. I expect the edge to go to Matty

member 262271

well playing with Hyman didn't encourage Matthews to chip the puck into the corner every time he has it so I don't think he's the type of guy to pick up bad habits. If anything, Matthews will make JVR work harder
That's pretty much what I had in mind, I wonder if we'll see it this year, or beyond depending on if he's extended.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Trust me you have to come here to witness it. You have no idea how much Nucks fans despise the Leafs...I mean the whole Western Canada vs Eastern Canada thing exists but you don't feel that same animosity in Calgary and Edmonton like you do in Vancouver. I still haven't figured out what they're so upset about. You can actually feel the vibe in the city change leading up to the game 2 or 3 days before. It's almost like Nucks fans are over-excited about being on prime time HNIC and don't know how to react. The whole thing is just weird...and 1040 really fuels the animosity. They really like rubbing it in to Nucks fans about the 4:00pm start and get them all riled up days before the game.

Maybe it's the 4pm start I don't know...for me personally though the 4pm start is perfect...I catch the afternoon ferry over, watch the game and catch a ferry back. I have no complaints.

4 pm starts are amazing, I love being able to watch the game after work and still have my entire evening.

After the weather it’s my favorite part of living on the west coast.

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad