Leafs fire Carlyle II - Carlyle Speaks (Link in post 227)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
this was the wrong time, WTF would you fire a coach with a winning record and in a playoff position? Also the day after the world juniors win gold, this was the obvious wrong time. They should have waited until the Leafs had a losing record and at least 5 points out of a playoff position.

Because The leafs were on a serious down swing losing a lot of games, Shanahan saw this trend and he wanted it to stop before they were pushed out of the playoffs entirely and to salvage this year and still have a chance at the playoffs.

Dobber

Jan 7, 2015
bylsma is useless. he is not a good coach. ask any pens fans and they'll tell you. he won the cup cause of crosby and malkin, not cause of his coaching abilities.

id rather have torts than bylsma.

No way, Bylsma is a much better coach than Torts, you can't win a cup and not be a good coach. I don't think you appreciate the finer points of coaching.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Common Sense.

You believe the horn went on Saturday, and Shanahan said "he gone!"?

Why would they wait until Monday Night to tell Carlyle while he was in Sudbury.

Nonis and Shanahan have more respect than that. Had the knew the Saturday Night, they would have told him in person.

I never said anything like that.

Everything I have read and heard is that Nonis and Shanahan decided after the Winnipeg game that they were going to make a coaching change.

Nobody knows the exact and precise moment the decision was made (that goes for your "common sense" and my "speculation"). Not sure why anybody would need such detail.

The simple fact is: sometime after the game on Saturday night (or the next day) a decision was made to remove Carlyle as coach and the announcement was not made until Tuesday.

There is just as much "common sense" to my suggestion they delayed the announcement to avoid conflicting with the world junior tournament as there is to anything you're claiming about the timing of the announcement.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Fans moan incessantly to fire the Coach.
Coach is fired.
Fans moan that it wasn't done correctly.

The same thing will happen when they finally win the cup (if at all), fans will complain that Kessel should have held the cup first or the coach or someone else. Fans always like to *****, these forums are the proof.

RichManitoba

Sep 4, 2009
Madison, WI
So who is this Dave Feschuk ? He looks young and he's rubbing teams the wrong way already? Is he just trying to make a name for himself? Gathering up what I've read from you guys, he's a real D Bag.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Randy might have lucked out. Leafs 1-4 since he was fired. Probably has his feet on a coffee table, sipping scotch watching this debacle with a big smile on his face.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Randy might have lucked out. Leafs 1-4 since he was fired. Probably has his feet on a coffee table, sipping scotch watching this debacle with a big smile on his face.

As he should.

In the end, it will be shown that coaching isn't what was holding this team back.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Hopefully this "revelation", inextricably linked to the fleet of eighteen wheelers of a few seasons now, will calm the fanbase and prepare them for the needed changes - hopefully - to come.

We need a skilled two way, truly, number one center. We need a captain. We need a few skilled veterans. But what we really need is a break in the draft where irrespective of where we land, we draft a hard-working, skilled center...In essence, a lot of luck.

Anyone think Mike Richards to Toronto would improve things? Maybe try to acquire Yandle for Gardiner (plus)?

Dog days again...

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
As he should.

In the end, it will be shown that coaching isn't what was holding this team back.

I can't wait to read a Mirtle article explaining why this team is worse with a better corsi? I thought this was the problem with the team as well as coaching.

:sarcasm:

Maybe it never occurred that this team's best chance to win is playing trading chances hockey. The scoring has dried up under Horachek.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

If Shanny wanted to protect Horachek he would have delayed Carlyle's firing until after this road trip from hell, and putting him into a situation to succeed when the Leafs returned home, instead of a position for failure.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I'd take Bylsma as an assistant coach, nothing more though.

Shouldn't you be starting a fire the coach thread soon bud. I wonder what your angle will be on this one. All them positive adv stats aren't looking like the solution you though they were.

Maybe you should go read some of your posts questioning other posters views as nonsense and such that insisted it was the players. Carlye knew full well what he was dealing with in that team I believe.

He actually let them play to their strength without wanting something they couldn't provide(2way play). The team can't walk and chew bubblegum at the same time. Its either,offense or defense. Horachek bailed on defense last night by putting the first line back together.

That's what this team does to a coach. Not the other way around. I tried telling you and you always stuck to your guns. I give you that.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If Shanny wanted to protect Horachek he would have delayed Carlyle's firing until after this road trip from hell, and putting him into a situation to succeed when the Leafs returned home, instead of a position for failure.

It's looking like more and more like we have a player problem more than a coaching or corsi problem.

Anyone who thought it was as simple as replacing the coach and having a better corsi stat would improve this team is in for a rude awakening.

It was always the players.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I don't think you'd find anyone who thinks that was JUST a coaching problem.
Carlyle needed to go, but the core just isn't good enough.

Grabowaffle84

Dec 29, 2010
Nonis is a coward. Probably knew that Carlyle would rather get fired on the phone then leave his family and go back to Toronto. Nonis couldn't even do it face to face. I didn't like Randy as Leafs coach but he's still a person and this situation could have been handled in a more civil fashion.

Classless organization. I hope when Nonis gets his that the circumstances are much worse.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Nonis is a coward. Probably knew that Carlyle would rather get fired on the phone then leave his family and go back to Toronto. Nonis couldn't even do it face to face. I didn't like Randy as Leafs coach but he's still a person and this situation could have been handled in a more civil fashion.

Classless organization. I hope when Nonis gets his that the circumstances are much worse.

or you could find out what really happened and not sound so silly.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Its funny how much we hate this team top to bottom. I do also.

I like it when leaf fans had enough. Its the only time we make any sense:laugh:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I don't think you'd find anyone who thinks that was JUST a coaching problem.
Carlyle needed to go, but the core just isn't good enough.

I didn't think it was a coaching problem. I knew it was a player problem. Just because a coach is demanding and never totally happy with a result,doesn't make him a bad coach. I think he knew full well the entire capabilities of the roster to a tee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad