Leafs fire Carlyle II - Carlyle Speaks (Link in post 227)

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008
Enlighten me then Sherlock. What do you think happened?

Nonis wanted to speak with him in person, but Randy already knew what was happening and wished to instead remain in Sudbury to spend time with his ailing brother in law (or other family member) who was about to die.

Randy Carlyle wished to be fired over the phone, not the other way around. No sleuthing required, simply read facts before spouting off about someone's character.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I guess all those Carlyle haters feel pretty stupid now (or at least they should). Coaching is CLEARLY not the problem.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Enlighten me then Sherlock. What do you think happened?

I'm sure you're beyond enlightenment.

It's been well documented what happened, all you need to do is read. Give it a try.

He's quoting Shanahan from his radio interviews.

Also from Shanahan's TSN 1050 interview:

"He (Nonis) wanted to be the guy to call Randy...felt it was his job as the GM, and I agreed. He reached out to Randy and said that he wanted to meet the next morning but Randy was not in town. So when they spoke on the phone, David actually agreed that...Randy had some family matters...Dave had agreed to go and meet with him and I think Randy sort of knew what was happening and wanted to get the news over with."

http://www.tsn.ca/shanahan-the-only-way-out-is-to-play-better-1.178943

Last edited:

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
Nonis wanted to speak with him in person, but Randy already knew what was happening and wished to instead remain in Sudbury to spend time with his ailing brother in law (or other family member) who was about to die.

Randy Carlyle wished to be fired over the phone, not the other way around. No sleuthing required, simply read facts before spouting off about someone's character.

Nonis knew Carlyle was in Sudbury, and he was besides his ailing family member and there was no way he was going to make it back to Toronto. HC job isn't 24x7. It comes with off-days.

Common sense dictated he drove up to Sudbury for something as major as firing. His move was a classic "You are not wrong, you are just an ass hole" one.

Oilers fired their coach over Skype, Leafs over phone. Two of the most incompetent front offices in the NHL of the decade. Coincidence? Probably not.

Grabowaffle84

Dec 29, 2010

I'm not denying that Carlyle wanted to be fired over the phone. Did he really have a choice given his geographic location and the circumstances surrounding his family? So I guess it was just coincidence that Nonis decided to deliver the message to Randy when he wasn't in Toronto.

Also when Nonis asked to go Sudbury to tell him he had to have known that Randy was going to say no to that

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I guess all those Carlyle haters feel pretty stupid now (or at least they should). Coaching is CLEARLY not the problem.

The witch hunt was on for Carlyle because adv stats said so lol.

I have to admit that I am enjoying getting a gauge on the flaws in judgment with regard to new stats. The simple evaluation of what you see a player do regularly that's makes the player and team successful is so lost on people.

I pay little attention to them for evaluation really. They are a byproduct of the game that you just watched and decided what was wrong. I can see every issue while watching the game without them.

They definitely have no bearing on the character in the team. They have their place but you don't need them to evaluate a team. At least I don't need them. They are a learning tool to high light issues coaches see in the way a team plays. That it.

Carlyle got canned because this team quit on him. Now they are on the clock and it looks good on them.

JoeyBeans

Jan 5, 2013
Halifax
Dismissal Of Randy The Right Decision?

Everyone was screaming FIRE RANDY!

It has been 5 games since the dismissal of Randy Carlyle, I have seen no change in the guys that lace up the skates and score the goals.

IMO Randy could have kept his position while the pieces of the puzzle were removed and replaced with the correct pieces.

Dion > Randy

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Everyone was screaming FIRE RANDY!

It has been 5 games since the dismissal of Randy Carlyle, I have seen no change in the guys that lace up the skates and score the goals.

IMO Randy could have kept his position while the pieces of the puzzle were removed and replaced with the correct pieces.

Dion > Randy

Yes getting rid of Carlyle was the right choice. His system was terrible for possession/shots against etc.

Horachek's approach is vital to the long term success of a franchise.
The core just isn't good enough.

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
If you have watched the games and haven't seen a change I'm not sure what to think?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
turfing RC was a good move since it illiminated him being the scapegoat and deflect attention away for the core which has been the main problem

soulie

Jan 9, 2008
One can only hope that by finally removing Carlyle as the scapegoat Leafs brass can truly see what this core of players really are - a group of losers. Ship them out for picks and youth, and go balls out rebuild. 5 years of rush job re-tool didn't do it - time to change strategy.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Are you serious? are you going by shots lol. Or time in the nutrual zone.

Dion fell down 3 times against LA lol it was actually hilarious

That wasn't hilarious, that was sad, but if you did watch the games, they do seem to be playing a bit better and tighter defensively, there are always a few mistakes, Pheneuf and Gardiner made a few. The San Jose game they seemed to go back to their poor defensive ways and DID have more scoring chances, but little luck, that game was 3-1 with an empty netter, so really 2-1 and the 2nd San Jose goal was not a legal goal, so that game was similar to thei games in October where they get out shot and out played, but their goalie saved them, the difference was the goal that should have been disallowed. This was a game where Reimer was the 1st star of a Leaf's win in October. The bad part is they are going back to their bad defensive style, we'll have to see if that continues.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Firing Randy was the right call.

It just should have happened in the summer.

Trading the players with the track record they had could have been done in the summer also. Really this firing has been most enlightening for fans i suspect. It definitely refocused people in the direction of the players.

The players on this team need to go and it was a week of clarity. For most,not all though.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I love this quote on Carlyle. From the Star. For all those that said just fire the coach, it was Carlyle's fault.

Carlyle was made out to be the village idiot, hopelessly lost in a time warp. That was never true; right now, it simply appears he was a coach who looked at his lineup and figured out the only way he could be marginally successful was to play a certain high-risk style.

Rufio65*

Carlyle might be a top 7-10 coach in the NHL. This team was grossly overachieving under Randy. Were lucky that there are several good coaching candidates available this off season.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I love this quote on Carlyle. From the Star. For all those that said just fire the coach, it was Carlyle's fault.

It's not completely Carlyle's fault (mostly the players fault), but I still don't think he's the coach who we should be betting our future on either. When you set an NHL record for the most shots allowed against in a single season, after being middle of the pack under the old coach, then the coach is part of the problem. Look at Anaheim at the end of Carlyle's tenure and afterwards

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Wilson couldn't do anything with this team.
Carlyle couldn't do anything with this team.
Horachek currently working on it.
Are the above 3 the greatest? Doesn't matter. Do you see the common denominator?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
^ it sure as heck isn't poor Corsi numbers. They've had both good and bad and the same results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad