Confirmed with Link: Leafs fire Burke

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Burke is a good guy, I've met him. Down to earth and funny.
That said, MLSE is poison. Richard Peddie was a major issue, now Tom Anselmi is.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
That said, MLSE is poison. Richard Peddie was a major issue, now Tom Anselmi is.

Yeah I don't know how many people follow MLS, but Toronto FC is more dysfunctional than the Maple Leafs and Anselmi is a big reason for it. TFC hired a coach that has no experience what so ever at any level, and he is currently a player in England. He won't join the team until April or May after the season starts because he has to finish his player contract. It gets worse than the Leafs haha

GodTukka*

Yeah I don't know how many people follow MLS, but Toronto FC is more dysfunctional than the Maple Leafs and Anselmi is a big reason for it. TFC hired a coach that has no experience what so ever at any level, and he is currently a player in England. He won't join the team until April or May after the season starts because he has to finish his player contract. It gets worse than the Leafs haha

Don't forget the Raptors too

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
My thoughts exactly. Reminds me of when O'Connell gave Thomas his deal back 2006.... Harry quickly canned him because he may have thought he gave Thomas too much.

There were about 100 other more compelling reasons to fire MOC. I don't think that deal mattered much, nor do I think Harry fired him.

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
On Prime Time Sports tonight Bob Mcowan said that he new for sure that Vancouver has been insisting on getting Jake Gardiner & Nazem Kadri for Roberto Luongo and that Burke did Not want to do it but ownership was insisting that he make the trade.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
On Prime Time Sports tonight Bob Mcowan said that he new for sure that Vancouver has been insisting on getting Jake Gardiner & Nazem Kadri for Roberto Luongo and that Burke did Not want to do it but ownership was insisting that he make the trade.

Well damn

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
"I think this coffee is good enough, it was the 8th best coffee in the East from February until the middle of April"

"I do not regret making this coffee and would make it again"

LMFAO, that's funny **** :laugh:

Oh my, the Leafs board might actually, physically explode if they trade Gardiner and Kadri for Luongo :amazed:

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I've always liked him. I've always liked his mentality. He's a good guy from all accounts and a great hockey man IMO...

I agree. I have no problems with Burke at all -- I like him.

I will so miss his trade deadline recap pressers if he's not picked up somewhere. They are awesome. Answers questions directly and bluntly. Really interesting.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

That.....wow.

Kadri sucks. A rich man's Zach Hamill. Both will be great in Finland in three years.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
That.....wow.

Kadri sucks. A rich man's Zach Hamill. Both will be great in Finland in three years.

When you say both, do you mean Kadri and Hamill?

I've not seen very much of Gardiner but the little I have he seems to have some potential. Do you think?

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario

I forgot to mention that Ownerships reasoning for insisting on the trade is that they want to make the playoffs this season.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
It is more likely that the Leafs acquire Luongo now. Nonis is a big Luongo fan and traded for him to get him to Vancouver.

Confound

Vindication
Oct 28, 2010
Maine
Wow that would sure make the Leafs a lot more interesting if they got Luongo.

Kessel, Phaneuf and Luongo on the same team, holy ****. :laugh:

mHlnGXt9Xlnn1Qes3Vtn

Dec 9, 2011

They wanted a puppet GM more than anything. Not a Burke fan but the alternative of having MLSE run everything a la Red Sox situation is not the answer.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
So which teams have been put together by a solid GM and are really only a signing here, and a trade there from being legit Cup contenders that Burke can swoop into and take all the glory again?

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
burke's time in toronto in one picture.

go!

50c7f2214364aa7b9625417b4858.jpeg

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Leafs of the NHL = Jets of the NFL

They fire a GM that deserved it, and somehow it is about to get much worse.

Not "somehow". They didn't do anything to change the path they were on. They've made a "change" at the time they did (I believe) because they think that any change at all will be inspirational to the players on the team. Burke gets a lot of crap in the media and from fans, but I think he's a good GM and a positive influence on the team. This move is a step backwards for a club that could ill-afford to take one.

What they SHOULD have done, if firing Burke was something they felt as though they needed to do, was bring in someone else from outside of the organization with a proven track record of results and a different view of what the team's identity should be. At least then, the switch would have meant something. Nonis gives them more of the same, with less competence. Folly.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT

Yeah, I met him too - at the NHL Draft in Hartford in the '90's. He hung out along the boards and just BS'D about the game with my friends and I between picks. Really down to earth. Its hard to fake that. heh

Now if we could just get that Ryabjicov (sp?) pick back! haha The Bruins were so sure about that Russian stand up goalie. Everyone else didnt get it...Sometimes ya just gotta shake your head...

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

By the way, if the Leafs were to acquire Luongo as a result of Burke's firing, then the short-term dividends will be extraordinarily positive. Long-term however, the Leafs STILL will be without a championship and will regret having having Luongo as he ages with his cap hit.

A short-sighted move when the team has no real identity and very little potential to forge one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad