Confirmed with Link: Leafs fire Burke

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Damien Cox ‏@DamoSpin

Bell/Rogers clearly not comfortable with Burke. Bell, in particular, believed his style was "bad for the brand."

As if the Bell brand had anything good associated to it.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
Shocked. Why now?

They wanted Luongo?

Phil could be next?

We really could have used this drama a few weeks ago.

Sad day for B's fans. But then again, what if Edmonton hires him?

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Laugh all you want about Burke. Seems like he left us with some damaged goods, though.

First the Seguin news today. Then I heard from good authority that Dougie Hamilton cannot iron a shirt to save his life.:sarcasm:

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
A little too late for leafs fans yet again if true. But he was horrible for them overall and continued to destroy things. If it's a result of the new ownership they may finally put the leafs in the right direction. Burke was way way too much of a blow hard.

DOGSTARMAN

Aug 1, 2005
I got nothing against Burke.

He's the best GM the Bruins have had in awhile.

Eh, it's not that simple! Chia wins the Kessel trade and gets an A+. Burke wins the Kaberle trade and gets a B+. Of course, no complaints, the bottom line is that we loaded up with some talent we never would have had access to otherwise, and won a Cup. But that Kaberle trade made up for some lost ground.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Just for fun, I decided to rehash a post of mine from the Kessel deal way back from 2009

Well Knowing how the draft worked out I am glad everything worked out the way it did, but the point remains, this was a deal that could have gotten someone fired and it did :D.

Yeah, but according to one Leafs fan in the main page thread, Kessel is a consistent 30 goal scorer, so it worked out well for both teams. :sarcasm:

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Eh, it's not that simple! Chia wins the Kessel trade and gets an A+. Burke wins the Kaberle trade and gets a B+. Of course, no complaints, the bottom line is that we loaded up with some talent we never would have had access to otherwise, and won a Cup. But that Kaberle trade made up for some lost ground.

Kaberle was part of the team that won the cup. In my book that trade was a win. Looking at it in a vacuum player x for player Y it looks bad but big picture is we needed that entire team to win the cup and Kaberle was part of that team.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Kaberle was part of the team that won the cup. In my book that trade was a win. Looking at it in a vacuum player x for player Y it looks bad but big picture is we needed that entire team to win the cup and Kaberle was part of that team.

Ya I agree. And Colborne is garbage.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
I don't get Burk as the senior advisor. No way is he the type of guy to sit on the sidelines and let someone run the team. Only thing I can think of is they are trying to keep him from moving on to another team? I just don't get it

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

How exactly did Burke win the Kaberle trade? We got a piece we desperately needed that help us win the cup. Burke traded one pick for Liles which I guess is kind of good for them although I feel he gave him way too much money is his extension. They got Colborne who continues to prove he's nothing special and traded up with the pick we gave them.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Good for Toronto.

They are still an original 6 franchise with the biggest fan support in hockey. Nice to see them acting like it and refusing to allow Burke to **** the team even more with Luongo.

I really respect this good job Leafs. Not good for the Bruins but still.

Thanks for Hamilton and Seguin Brian.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Good for Toronto.

They are still an original 6 franchise with the biggest fan support in hockey. Nice to see them acting like it and refusing to allow Burke to **** the team even more with Luongo.

I bet they trade for Luongo

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Good for Toronto.

I bet they trade for Luongo

Agreed. In fact, I think it even makes it more likely that they do trade. Burke doesn't like huge contracts. He may not have wanted to give up the necessary pieces.

I'd bet that if this was about Luongo, it's because ownership wants him and Burke doesn't.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

No...it didn't. The last pick in the first round (making a trade with the best team) and Colborne is hardly anything for a guy who helped an awful PP (not by much but ours was really brutal) and calmed McQuaid down on the third pairing. The only good thing Burke got out of the deal was getting the conditional pick were we to win the cup.

But take that pick away and the trade is Kaberle who was a top pairing D for Toronto and a PP stud for a high second and a soft prospect who had already been shown up as a bust.

Kaberle was valuable enough a year later for Montreal to trade for him, and Carolina gave him a nice contract that summer too.

It wasn't highway robbery at all. Hardly makes up for giving up two franchise cornerstones and Knight for Kessel. And furthermore the year he traded for Phil Phil needed surgery and was gonna miss he start of the year. And Kessel has been great for Toronto and its still an awful trade.

(If Kessel was a Bruin and he put up those goal totals and here was no media drama he'd be a popular guy in our town.)

The Kaberle trade can't be held against Chia. We won the cup. And he did plug a hole. Not to mention he had a hell of a lot of assists in the playoffs for a third pairing D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad