Leafs fans - let’s see if we can help raise the salary cap

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
My idea:

Start a go fund me for Mitch Marner....

Dear Mitch
Subtract whatever we raise here from your next contract.
Signed Leaf Fans

If we raise 72 million please sign for 1m per year.

There are plenty of celebrity leaf fans out there, they got lots of money. Drake and Bieber might actually be useful for once.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Hey Gary
Lose the CAP and fast and let freedom prevail. Do you want us to CAP you out?
$80M+ for player contracts we can afford triple that maybe more

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Hey Gary

Cap was made to help the poorer teams compete with the big spenders.

I'm glad Arizona, Florida, Columbus, Carolina have had all that great success because teams like New York, Philadelphia, Toronto, Montreal, Boston, Chicago were outspending and dominating too much in the 90s and early 00's

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Cap was made to help the poorer teams compete with the big spenders.

I'm glad Arizona, Florida, Columbus, Carolina have had all that great success because teams like New York, Philadelphia, Toronto, Montreal, Boston, Chicago were dominating too much in the 90s and early 00's
Let them play in the NHL division 2
Top 2 teams from division 2 come up every year and bottom 2 teams from division 1 go down
With an intermixed schedule so division 2 teams can learn what it takes to make it to the show

Reactions: dsred

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The cap is determined by league revenues. The best thing we can do to increase the cap is consistently go deep in the playoffs.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'd rather you figure out a way to lower concession prices.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
It's not fair that fans that love hockey and support it like crazy can't have as good a hockey team as possible because people in Arizona don't feel the same way. It's also unfair that the best teams cannot hope to stay together under the current landscape.

Unfortunately, in the one sport where Toronto is one of the largest markets, we have a league system based on parity for all while in sports like baseball the Yankees and Red Sox can just outspend everyone.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The cap is determined by league revenues. The best thing we can do to increase the cap is consistently go deep in the playoffs.
CAP is determined by hockey related league revenues. So a CAP will never be fully fair because some teams have large non-hockey related revenues. And they can use the cash from those activities to fund things like signing bonuses. And some of things called non-hockey related revenues are complete BS like parking for one. Bottom line no one is using that lot in most rinks unless a NHL game was going on. And certain sponsorship's related to the facility instead of team. Again no one is sponsoring unless the fans going to game can see their names in the rink. Yes I understand these facilities are used for different events I do get that. But the whole thing is very suspect and not transparent. You can get rid of it all with a free market approach. Every team signs guys for what they can afford. If they don't have enough money then drop down to a lower level and don't screw up quality of game by dumbying it down the NHL game. I want to pay to see the best of the best.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I am actually quite surprised that there is still no owner coming out and say let’s start a Super League with just teams that actually make profits. Actually I can see why, that’s probably bc the Cap is a main reason that is helping teams to stay in the black.
Having said that, I do think teams that are asking for handout should have some sort of punishment for not able to support itself financially. The owners need to pay the differences instead of asking for charity from other teams. Like losing a few spots in the draft or cant sign players due to losing money.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
There has to be a way for having a soft cap for the players you draft. Like 100% of JT's salary counts but only 75% of AM's does. Or team's can designate a few players to have less than 100% count. Can swap them around every year.

The hard cap punishes teams for being too good at their job of drafting.

Bettman and the owners want their players to make less money. It's just not right.

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
The only thing that should happen in the new CBA is they need to take into account tax implications in regards to the cap. It makes no sense that Tampa can pay there players 20 percent less just because of the state tax.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I am actually quite surprised that there is still no owner coming out and say let’s start a Super League with just teams that actually make profits. Actually I can see why, that’s probably bc the Cap is a main reason that is helping teams to stay in the black.
Having said that, I do think teams that are asking for handout should have some sort of punishment for not able to support itself financially. The owners need to pay the differences instead of asking for charity from other teams. Like losing a few spots in the draft or cant sign players due to losing money.
The issue is you would have a 3 team super league. Toronto Montreal and New York. Chicago and Vegas and Washington are nowhere near the same but form the next group. Then maybe 10 teams in tier below. And then bottom 15 teams which should be in division 2 which are teams Bettman controls and Boston owner gives him pull with a few middling teams so he keeps control.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The issue is you would have a 3 team super league. Toronto Montreal and New York. Chicago and Vegas and Washington are nowhere near the same but form the next group. Then maybe 10 teams in tier below. And then bottom 15 teams which should be in division 2 which are teams Bettman controls and Boston owner gives him pull with a few middling teams so he keeps control.
First of all, I don't think there will be a Super League.
If there is one, I think it will be around 12 teams. All these teams must be a major market(population and income). The idea is that all teams will be super good. As teams can afford to pay top dollars for players. These teams will no longer have AHL teams but rather, it will use the rest of the existing NHL teams as a feeder league. Never going to happen but good to dream.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The only thing that should happen in the new CBA is they need to take into account tax implications in regards to the cap. It makes no sense that Tampa can pay there players 20 percent less just because of the state tax.
The players want that to happen but owners will say no bc it means they will have less money to take home themselves.
What I think might happen is teams can buyout players in mid season like what the NBA is doing. As well as teams can trade cap space like the NBA.
From a fans perspective, I think the owners/MGTs/players are always thinking of ways to get more money/benefits where as the NHL is very stagnate.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The NHL should just buy the Coyotes and use them as an official league-sanctioned dumping ground. Set a price for every million dollars of contract dumped, similar to offer sheet compensation. That teams job is just to rehab overpaid players into new contracts and draft + develop young players for contenders to add as RFAs/UFAs.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Hey Gary
I like most of your posts big guy but you know this won't happen. That said some type of luxury tax/ exemption to sign your own players needs to happen.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Let them play in the NHL division 2
Top 2 teams from division 2 come up every year and bottom 2 teams from division 1 go down
With an intermixed schedule so division 2 teams can learn what it takes to make it to the show
Soccer (football) does this and it works for them, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad