Leafs fans - let’s see if we can help raise the salary cap

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Let them play in the NHL division 2
Top 2 teams from division 2 come up every year and bottom 2 teams from division 1 go down
With an intermixed schedule so division 2 teams can learn what it takes to make it to the show

No, when the leafs win the Cup I want it to be by beating 30 (or 31) other NHL teams. I just don't think it's fair we are punished for doing a good job. Let's say we trade player X for draft picks because we can't get him under the cap then his new team beats us in the playoffs. How f'd up is that?

Not to mention our revenue sharing dollars prop up the small market teams.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I love this. Instead of holding our gm accountable for the dramatic overpayments he’s handing out, instead we should write letters to Bettman in the hopes of the cap increasing, thus minimizing our gms dramatic overpayments.

Geez.

It’s really come to this?

Reactions: Al14

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
There has to be a way for having a soft cap for the players you draft. Like 100% of JT's salary counts but only 75% of AM's does. Or team's can designate a few players to have less than 100% count. Can swap them around every year.

The hard cap punishes teams for being too good at their job of drafting.

Bettman and the owners want their players to make less money. It's just not right.
I’d love it if they put in a luxury tax system. It doesn’t seem right that the teams that make money every year don’t get any advantage over the teams that lose money every year. A luxury tax would help make more money for the loser teams and give the teams that deserve it an advantage.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
The solution is simple. Allow teams to not count a player to the cap if it wants to. For example, Mcdavid, Matty. Kuch, OV, Crosby etc etc should be allowed franchise tags (not count towards the cap) and then start the Cap for teams. Now teams like Arizona, Carolina etc that can't meet the salary floor would not need to franchise a player and count everyone towards the cap.

Some will say this is a disadvantage to the poorer teams in the league. Not really, when teams like Leafs, Rangers, Philly, Detroit were spending freely, they weren't winning cups and certainly not at an alarming rate.

The lesser teams that have trouble meeting the floor should not even be in the league, period. They not only are supported by the heavy weights but are actually rewarded for being futile. They constantly are rewarded with high draft picks for years upon years. IE, Arizona, Carolina, Edmonton and until recently Buffalo to name a few. These teams should be ashamed of themselves for not being able to build a team after this much talent infused into their organization, not rewarded.
The Cleveland Browns of hockey ha.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Teams are probably saying the same thing about 95% of Matthews contract being signing bonuses taxed at 15% instead of ~%50. That was a pretty sweet loophole.

I thought it was taxed 15% by Ontario, but as an Arizona resident he pays the normal rate. Or something. I'm not in finance for a reason.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I love this. Instead of holding our gm accountable for the dramatic overpayments he’s handing out, instead we should write letters to Bettman in the hopes of the cap increasing, thus minimizing our gms dramatic overpayments.

Geez.

It’s really come to this?

As fans, how do you propose we "hold our GM accountable?"

Maybe a mass-letter campaign?

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I’d love it if they put in a luxury tax system. It doesn’t seem right that the teams that make money every year don’t get any advantage over the teams that lose money every year. A luxury tax would help make more money for the loser teams and give the teams that deserve it an advantage.

Been fighting on this hill for years...

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario

Problem is there's not guarantee that the poor teams will spend the money on their team and their owner just pockets it.

What needs to happen with the next CBA and I expect it will is add a new level for Offer sheet compensation. Or same number but guarantee they are lottery picks.

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
Problem is there's not guarantee that the poor teams will spend the money on their team and their owner just pockets it.

What needs to happen with the next CBA and I expect it will is add a new level for Offer sheet compensation. Or same number but guarantee they are lottery picks.
I do agree that it would be nice if the money was put back into the team but if they chose just to pocket it that really wouldn’t bother me. I just feel that the teams that keep the league profitable should be given a reward such as a luxury tax. Having competitive teams in New York, Montreal, Toronto, Philly, Boston, Chicago makes the league more money then Arizona, Carolina Florida,Dallas, Columbus would imho.

The only reason that Chicago is not competitive now is because of the salary cap and that doesn’t seem quite right. They draft and develop properly and then have to trade their players away because of the cap. The leafs haven’t even won yet and are probably going to have to trade away players already. Draft and develop properly then be punished for it just seems like a weird system. I suppose they could try to cap the second contract but I cannot see the PA agreeing to anything like that, luxury tax just seems fair to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad