Leafs fans - let’s see if we can help raise the salary cap

HOF Paul Henderson

Jan 16, 2019
So to everyone who has a problem with the Matthews contract, or the Nylander contract, and so on - we all (of course) know that the problem is really with contracts in relation to the salary cap.

I’m sure none of us care how much the players make, we just want the team to be good.

So maybe we should try a letter writing campaign to Bettman.

I know many of you just rolled your eyes but hear me out for a minute.

We are all essentially powerless to create any kind of change in the NHL no matter what we do...except, the pressure points for Gary Bettman are fairly obvious.

The NHL functions because of its advertising dollars. The TML have the largest fan base of any hockey team in the world.

We should make a list of every company that advertises during leafs games. And then put that list online. And suggest to leafs fans that they write Mr. Bettman, and those companies, and we tell them that we will not buy products from these companies until the salary cap reaches 95 million per season.

We put a lot of money into this team, in terms of tickets, purchasing cable just to watch the leafs, buying jerseys and indeed shopping at the stores that advertise during leafs games. The team should be able to spend the money that we give it...on the bloody team! The money we put into the TML should be able to be spent on the best players for the TML!

Now I accept that my idea probably won’t work.

But...maybe it will!

If the salary cap went up by even a million dollars that would help this team. Stranger things have happened in the history of this world. If we put the time we take on this site (or elsewhere) griping about the contract situation, and instead chose to do something productive with that time to try and help the situation, who knows what might come of it!

Another option could be to send fan mail to players and ask them to take less money for the good of the team.

But that won’t help with the contracts we already have set up and player managers would probably burn those letters in a nuclear fire before they ever reached the players.

Join me, leafs fans, let’s change the NHL!!!

Reactions: Auston City Limits

HOF Paul Henderson

Jan 16, 2019
I think that has a better chance of working than telling Bettman to raise the cap 15 mill or you wont shop at Sobey's

There are people who like to whine, and people who think of solutions so that people will stop whining. I think I can tell which category you fit into. If you think it’s a stupid idea, then don’t do it, and shut the f*** up.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
The Salary cap helped Nashville get a hockey team. And it stuck. The cap ain't going anywhere

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I believe the cap has consistently gone up annually and that should figure to continue for the foreseeable future. While it theoretically should help things, it's not always as simple as spend more/to the cap ceiling and win though.

Stacker29

Feb 17, 2015
The cap will rise substantially once we sell the advertisement rights to our jerseys. The Leafs will bring in 30 mil or so on their own. Same for Montreal.

If the NHL threatens to throw Amazons logo on Edmonton or Ottawa jerseys they might pay just to not go on the jersey...

Cap rises infinitely.

You’re welcome.

member 147413

There are people who like to whine, and people who think of solutions so that people will stop whining. I think I can tell which category you fit into. If you think it’s a stupid idea, then don’t do it, and shut the **** up.
Your idea would make the cap lower.

I’m all for bringing our large fanbase together to benefit our team. A solution that would actually work would be to purchase MORE NHL products. I’m not going to do that though because I don’t have much disposable income to put toward the hope that our fanbase spends 100+mil on products.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
The cap will rise substantially once we sell the advertisement rights to our jerseys. The Leafs will bring in 30 mil or so on their own. Same for Montreal.

If the NHL threatens to throw Amazons logo on Edmonton or Ottawa jerseys they might pay just to not go on the jersey...

Cap rises infinitely.

You’re welcome.
I would hate the unis being defaced like this but unfortunately it's a necessary evil.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
Such a 2019 idea. Make sure you get a good propaganda video ready to share on your social feeds so that people can retweet it and support your cause without the need to fact check anything. Power to the people!

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
There are people who like to whine, and people who think of solutions so that people will stop whining. I think I can tell which category you fit into. If you think it’s a stupid idea, then don’t do it, and shut the **** up.

tenor.gif

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto

If you don't want your ideas critiqued, then don't post them in a discussion forum.

Your "solution" will have the same effect as whining, which is no effect

horner

May 22, 2007
They could do something to fix the tax isue .
Tb and other teams like has more cap to play with.

Note a fair system!!!!

Reactions: Guy Boucher

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
They could do something to fix the tax isue .
Tb and other teams like has more cap to play with.

Note a fair system!!!!

Teams are probably saying the same thing about 95% of Matthews contract being signing bonuses taxed at 15% instead of ~%50. That was a pretty sweet loophole.

Reactions: Its not your fault

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Irrelevant to Op, but hopefully someone is smart enough to help me out..
This has been burning on my mind for a bit.

How much can one team, in this case Toronto, affect the salary cap?

By Toronto going deep in the playoffs as opposed to a 'meh' team like Buffalo or Florida, is there enough revenue made to push the cap up 500k?

horner

May 22, 2007
Teams are probably saying the same thing about 95% of Matthews contract being signing bonuses taxed at 15% instead of ~%50. That was a pretty sweet loophole.

They will close that loophole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->