Leafs Fans Invading Other Arenas

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
I'm interested to see how many went to see the Marlies @ Belleville.
Much closer for us.
The building was about 25% blue and white. Loyalties were probably about 50-50. Marlies are so dominant that the Sens were happy not to get BTFO. Nobody got too excited even with all the scraps and cheap shots.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I’m thinking of taking a road trip to watch the Leafs. All things considered, what’s the best fan experience for a Leafs fan: Leafs game in Montreal, Ottawa or Buffalo?

Definitely Montreal. In Buffalo and Ottawa, it's almost like a Leaf home game, there are so many Leaf fans. In Montreal, Leafs fans are in a minority. Although the Bell Centre isn't the old Forum, the history in the corridors is better than most. Before/after the game, where would you rather walk around Kanata, Buffalo or Montreal? Can't beat being in Montreal when the weather is pleasant.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Definitely Montreal. In Buffalo and Ottawa, it's almost like a Leaf home game, there are so many Leaf fans. In Montreal, Leafs fans are in a minority. Although the Bell Centre isn't the old Forum, the history in the corridors is better than most. Before/after the game, where would you rather walk around Kanata, Buffalo or Montreal? Can't beat being in Montreal when the weather is pleasant.

I must admit I like the idea of invading the other arena alongside Leafs fans. I may have to go with Ottawa or Buffalo. Montreal is a great city that I always love visiting hockey or no hockey though, no doubt.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Believe me it's not just a geography thing lol. I live in Edmonton and when we play the oilers here, it's easily 60-40 leafs fans and sometimes worse.
Some games maybe 70-30 and its a beautiful thing, well my Dad doesnt think so but I do.

I was at this game and when Connolly scored I leaped out of my seat, my Dad took off I thought he was going to leave me there LOL.

That's not a phrase you hear every day.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I'd be embarrassed if I was a fan of a team who's arena got invaded the way that it does when the Leafs are in town.

Very curious to see what the Vegas game is going to be like on New Years.

Reactions: supermann_98

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I'd be embarrassed if I was a fan of a team who's arena got invaded the way that it does when the Leafs are in town.

Very curious to see what the Vegas game is going to be like on New Years.
I was at a Jay’s weekend game at the skydome against the Yanks in the late 90’s when the Yankees had their dynasty going on and I was embarrassed at how we were almost outnumbered by Yank fans, so I know how it feels.

I’ll be at the Vegas game along with a couple of buddies so we’ll do our best to get the Go Leaf Go chant going on :nod:

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
They have tried a few things in Ottawa like blocking IP addresses from buying tickets online for the playoffs, and some other things on site (box office). I believe they tried to ban Leafs fans from wearing their jerseys to the game one time as well... didn't go over well.

Sens fans (and media) get so salty when the Leafs are in town, it's beyond amusing.

I was there when we clinched that playoff berth in 2013... amazing night.

They would give out ticket pre-sale codes on local radio stations only, they would require all Leaf jersey-wearing fans to bring a charitable food donation.

Ottawa is the most petty childish franchise I've ever seen when it comes to the Leafs. From management, to players, to fans, to media.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
They would give out ticket pre-sale codes on local radio stations only, they would require all Leaf jersey-wearing fans to bring a charitable food donation.

Ottawa is the most petty childish franchise I've ever seen when it comes to the Leafs. From management, to players, to fans, to media.

I wonder if this is a security thing? It's been years since I did the Ottawa trip - do things tend to get rowdy / violent between fans there?

If it does, that would be the one reason I could see them implementing something like that.

Otherwise, I agree - it's so petty, especially for a fanbase that struggles to put people in the seats.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
I was at the Leafs - Habs game a couple weeks ago where we won 6-0. I was in the lower bowl for the 2nd period (our group had tickets up top and shared a couple seats throughout the game down below), and I was one of very few people in my section in blue and white. I stood and cheered after every goal, and all the Habs fans around me looked like they just saw a ghost. I felt like that one guy they always show on TV standing and cheering when the visiting team scores. It was a glorious night. Way better than a home game experience.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I've only been to 1 game in Buffalo but it was fantastic. The Leafs presence was huge and we were loud and took over the arena. It's a shame we lost but was still unreal. My parents have gone to games in Tampa and had a good time as well.

I've done the same except we won when I went. We ended up at a bar and an ad hock O Canada broke out. Drove my friend from Buffalo nuts.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I was at the Leafs - Habs game a couple weeks ago where we won 6-0. I was in the lower bowl for the 2nd period (our group had tickets up top and shared a couple seats throughout the game down below), and I was one of very few people in my section in blue and white. I stood and cheered after every goal, and all the Habs fans around me looked like they just saw a ghost. I felt like that one guy they always show on TV standing and cheering when the visiting team scores. It was a glorious night. Way better than a home game experience.

You just gotta own it like this guy

wAuBqsx.gif

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
My parents have gone to games in Tampa and had a good time as well.
I have also seen a Leafs game in Tampa and while the Leafs fans don't take over the arena like in Buffalo or Ottawa, there is still a good number of Leafs fans out in full force.

Plus since we are on this topic I have also seen a Blue Jays game in St. Petersburg against the Rays and saw a fair number of Blue Jays fans and I have also seen a Raptors game in Orlando and saw more Raptors fans than I thought.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010

Spoiler alert...the reaction when Mogilny ties it.

I believe the guy that posted this vid posts here.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
A few years ago I went with a couple buddies to a game in Ottawa decked out in our Leafs jerseys. Tried to get a few Go Leafs Go chants going.

Ottawa was playing the Rangers that night. :laugh:

Reactions: CelticDruid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad