Eklund Rumor: Leafs eyeing: (ANA) Rakell, and (BUF) Staal

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I like Staal more as a Joe Thornton type acquisition next year, but Rakell is more appealing from a younger, player in his prime POV. Leafs have a bit of separation in terms of having a small over the hill gang and a group just entering their prime.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
what would be the ask from each team?

I don't know a lot about Rakell. Does he command a 1st?

The centerpiece to a Rakell deal needs to be better than a late first. He's performing like a top line winger and makes under 4M this year and next. The Ducks should not move him if the return isn't notably better than the recent Zucker, Coleman and Kapanen deals, Rakell is the most attractive piece of that group.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
"Rickard Rakell is an odd player. He has struggled like crazy for a few years, but he has decided to get VERY hot at the best possible time. The Leafs want a "middle 6 guy" and they are also poking around with Buffalo about Eric Staal. Those two teams always make great partners..."

HockeyBuzz.com - Eklund - Toronto Eyes Rakell, While Philly/Nashville Talk. Sabres Writers..
Rakell really hasn’t struggled at all.... he just lacks teammates.

as for the other post

prob 1st + prospect....prospect depending retention + cap dumps etc

I’d say

1st + amirov or liljegren + engvall or vessy for Rakell at 50%

I know some leaf fans will have a mental breakdown reading that tho

Or you’ll get the leaf fans expansion draft we might lose holl.... which isn’t exactly a great argument either

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
what would be the ask from each team?

I don't know a lot about Rakell. Does he command a 1st?

I would think so and probably more. If not I would want the Pens to go after him since Zucker will be out for much of the regular season. Poulin was one of our 1st round picks a couple years ago and I would be willing to trade him plus more to get Rakell. The cap hit is nice and his term fits our window perfect.

I wish we had Rutherford still because I know he would bring in a top 6 by the deadline. With this new group I am not so sure. Malkin and Letang are back to playing great with both being on hot streaks. Got to go for it well out core 3 still have the ability to play at a high level.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005

as for the other post

I’d say

Or you’ll get the leaf fans expansion draft we might lose holl.... which isn’t exactly a great argument either

Buddy that’s the worst proposal I’ve ever seen in this site.
Rackell might get a 1st and mid level prospect.
1st and Amirov and Liligren Hahahahhhhhahahahaha NEVER

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013

as for the other post

I’d say

In your dreams

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
You wouldn't think they would be interested in another winger with no physical game. RR doesn't pk, doesn't hit much, can't play C and needs over 2:00 pp a night to generate his meager offence the last couple of years. I am sure he could blossom with a change of environment but obviously no guarantee. In a vacuum where they had to replace a Vesey its an obvious upgrade. I would think Rackell would look much more attractive to a club with less top 6 grunt so they could give him some real use. I can't see any interest in Staal unless Kerfoot is going the other way to open cap and minutes and he hasn't actually outperformed Kerfoot this year.

This is weak, even for Ek's 3% success rate:)

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Reactions: Morrison

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Wouldn’t Dubas be more likely eyeing a goalie?

Leafs will ride Andersen until his contract runs out then think about what to do moving forward.

Acquiring a #1 goalie late in the season is very risky. A lot of pressure on the new guy to come in and win right away and no experience working with the D. I remember when the Blues traded for Ryan Miller who was having a heck of a season then he couldn't stop a beach ball.

Besides, the room respects Freddy too much for the GM to trade him away for some other guy when he's been there with Matthews and co. from day 1 building this thing.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Is Rakell that big of an upgrade to Kerfoot that would justify losing a 1st, a good prospect, and the potential pick it would take to move Kerfoot out? I would much rather spend that on a defenseman. A guy like Manson or Ekholm

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad