Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Detroit, Saturday Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don't think the last 4 games are that difficult for us as people think. All those teams except for Tempa are already in the playoffs and could be resting their stars

If we win Saturday and against Buffalo, it's on the rest of the teams to chase us. We control our own destiny at this point. We are right were we want to be

Yea, but people have such a loser mentality over here. They think teams like Boston and TB are unbeatable. I think TB being in it is an illusion anyway. I think it's unlikely they make up 4 points on us in 6 games.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Yea, but people have such a loser mentality over here. They think teams like Boston and TB are unbeatable. I think TB being in it is an illusion anyway. I think it's unlikely they make up 4 points on us in 6 games.

It's actually funny that if you read some of the other boards, seems like the majority are pretty down their own teams chances.
Had a glance at TB and BOS boards just to read their opinions and they're just waiting for the enivitble collapses of their team while we figure they're never gonna lose again.

Keato

Apr 9, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
The Leafs had today off, correct? Curious what their record is following off days, as I seem to remember a couple of the more stinging losses happened after they didn't practice. Obviously they need days off (especially looking at the awful schedule next week), but hopefully they continue to play strong.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
The Leafs somehow have to get 3/4 points against Detroit and Buffalo. Ideally we get all four and then go home and finish the schedule off on a high and get home ice advantage.

Hoping for some out of town scores to go our way but even if they don't, we will be more than fine if we take care of our game.

I think the Leafs don't want to stumble or think of going .500. They are probably thinking win 4/6 and guarantee yourselves not only a playoff spot but a good chance at 2nd place as well.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Picking up two points against each of Detroit and Buffalo would be great for my blood pressure.

Would be so sweet if we could separate from the pack and legitimately be targeting that 2 seed coming into that final tough stretch.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Picking up two points against each of Detroit and Buffalo would be great for my blood pressure.

Would be so sweet if we could separate from the pack and legitimately be targeting that 2 seed coming into that final tough stretch.

We are closer to second than we are to being outside the playoffs. Even if every team chasing us wins, we could still end up being second in our division tomorrow.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
We are closer to second than we are to being outside the playoffs. Even if every team chasing us wins, we could still end up being second in our division tomorrow.

Looks like Karlsson and Smith were sent to Ottawa to see team doctors and won't be in the line-up tomorrow.

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hoc...y-of-their-injured-will-be-back-for-jets-game

Huge chance for us if Winnipeg can beat them in regulation and we pick up the two points at the Joe. Home ice advantage would be the cherry on top of a great season for us.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Seems special teams are a big advantage for the Leafs in this game; Wings are prone to give up goals (11) when they have the advantage and we are pretty good at scoring on the PK.

Special team numbers:

Leafs away ..........PP 27.3% .......PK 85.8% .......Total 113.1
Wings home .........PP 16.9% .......PK 82.8% ........Total 99.7

Leafs shorties for 6 - shorties against 5 ...... +1
Wings shorties for 2 - shorties against 11......-9

Shorties for = goals we score when we are Short handed
Shorties against = goals scored against us when we are on the PP

SORRY - I have been MISREPRESENTING shorties in my previous posts; I was only providing shorties for.

Last edited:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Caps are going to lose to Zona by a score of 6-3, hope the Leafs don't take the Wings lightly. Teams that have nothing to play for aren't easy to beat.

This also goes to show to all the people that think Tampa, Boston, etc can just run the table. It's very hard in this league to win. Colorado of all teams outplayed and beat St. Louis tonight.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
I said before that I think the Leafs can make the playoffs if their record in the final 6 games is 2-3-1. The way I see it happening is that Leafs HAVE TO BEAT DET and BUF those are the most winnable games left and they cant walk into the final 4 having to win at least half. The Leafs would also HAVE to at least get a point vs TBL. If the Leafs lose that game I want it to be in a shootout, the Leafs would get a point and the TB win does not count towards the ROW tiebreaker.

The Leafs have a 4 pt lead on TB for the final playoff spot which means that to tie the Leafs the Lightning HAVE to finish with a record 2 wins better than the Leafs in the final 6 games. So with my 2-3-1 prediction the Lightning need a record of 4-1-1 to tie the Leafs. And if the Lightning do beat the Leafs in a shootout AND both teams finish with the records I stated the Leafs would still have 1 more ROW which would be the tie breaker.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I said before that I think the Leafs can make the playoffs if their record in the final 6 games is 2-3-1. The way I see it happening is that Leafs HAVE TO BEAT DET and BUF those are the most winnable games left and they cant walk into the final 4 having to win at least half. The Leafs would also HAVE to at least get a point vs TBL. If the Leafs lose that game I want it to be in a shootout, the Leafs would get a point and the TB win does not count towards the ROW tiebreaker.

The Leafs have a 4 pt lead on TB for the final playoff spot which means that to tie the Leafs the Lightning HAVE to finish with a record 2 wins better than the Leafs in the final 6 games. So with my 2-3-1 prediction the Lightning need a record of 4-1-1 to tie the Leafs. And if the Lightning do beat the Leafs in a shootout AND both teams finish with the records I stated the Leafs would still have 1 more ROW which would be the tie breaker.

I don't think you are giving the Leafs enough credit, I think 2-3-1 is a bit pessimistic I don't see them losing tonight or on Monday, and they have already proven they can beat Tampa and Columbus, in fact they dominated both teams last time they played both.

I think 4-1-1 is not just realistic but I expect it

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I don't think you are giving the Leafs enough credit, I think 2-3-1 is a bit pessimistic I don't see them losing tonight or on Monday, and they have already proven they can beat Tampa and Columbus, in fact they dominated both teams last time they played both.

I think 4-1-1 is not just realistic but I expect it

We have won against every single one of the teams we are going to face in the last 6. I think his prediction is reasonable as well though because we have 6 games in 9 nights. They have to take advantage of the rest they have before tonight's game and the game against Buffalo.

I think our likely record is going to be 3-2-1. 2-0 in the next two games, then 1-2-1 with the win coming against Tampa and the OT loss against Pittsburgh.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We have won against every single one of the teams we are going to face in the last 6. I think his prediction is reasonable as well though because we have 6 games in 9 nights. They have to take advantage of the rest they have before tonight's game and the game against Buffalo.

I think our likely record is going to be 3-2-1. 2-0 in the next two games, then 1-2-1 with the win coming against Tampa and the OT loss against Pittsburgh.

See I agree I think we beat Tampa, I also think we beat Columbus

I think they get to OT vs Washington and probably lose to the pens.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

The math is simple now.
The magic number is 9. Starting today.
Any combo of Leaf points vs. Tampa lost points that equal 9 and we are in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad