Speculation: Leafs d-man shopping list this summer..

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'd like to bring Travis Harmonica, you want to talk about a perfect fit there it is , he had injury issues this year but doesn't Generally have them

and he's 26 perfect age for the team

Zero incentive for them to trade him unless someone overpays.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He asked to be traded last summer, and then the story sort of fizzled away into nothingness.

I'm pretty sure it was reported that he rescinded the trade request, or at least they worked it out or something along those lines.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
From what I remember, he rescinded the trade request.

Hamonic requested a trade out west for personal family reason.

He did later rescind his trade wishes, but that have been more strategy then wishful desires as his trade value while demanding a move likely wasn't getting the offers that NYI would accept.

There were rumours of Hamonic for Trouba (when he was unsigned), so along those lines if the Leafs were willing to part with Morgan Rielly they might be able to get Hamonic in return.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Same thing Chicago has done, identify who are the core players and traded and acquire Euro UFA's.

I think the real issue he is how much you're underrating Rielly, Gardiner and Zaitsev. We certainly don't need three defensemen better than them. We likely need one more as good, preferably right-handed - although Rielly for whatever reason plays his best hockey on the right side, so maybe they shift him there if one can't be acquired.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I think the real issue he is how much you're underrating Rielly, Gardiner and Zaitsev. We certainly don't need three defensemen better than them. We likely need one more as good, preferably right-handed - although Rielly for whatever reason plays his best hockey on the right side, so maybe they shift him there if one can't be acquired.

I think one better than them would be awesome, but yeah, like I've been telling everyone all season, the problem isn't the top three, it's the bottom three and still is.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Hamonic requested a trade out west for personal family reason.

He did later rescind his trade wishes, but that have been more strategy then wishful desires as his trade value while demanding a move likely wasn't getting the offers that NYI would accept.

There were rumours of Hamonic for Trouba (when he was unsigned), so along those lines if the Leafs were willing to part with Morgan Rielly they might be able to get Hamonic in return.

Things change.
No way would we need to give up a Rielly for Hamonic . . . that's ridiculous. Hamonic has never scored more than 5 goals, has had two down statistical years, and the team's been shopping him for a year and a half, they have low leverage.

Bozak for Hamonic, straight up.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Things change.
No way would we need to give up a Rielly for Hamonic . . . that's ridiculous. Hamonic has never scored more than 5 goals, has had two down statistical years, and the team's been shopping him for a year and a half, they have low leverage.

Hamonic is a top pairing guy.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Things change.

Hamonic is a top pairing guy.

Would love this trade but don't see the Islanders doing this. They could do better imho.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
By the season end do people think one of the Swedes ends up on the bottom pairing and maybe even Dermott moves up into the top 4?

If leafs didn't aquire a top 4 Dman this summer (tough to say):

Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Rielly
Rosen - Carrick/Polak

I feel like if Dermott performs really well he could be a good guy to partner with Morgan, play it very simple and defensive.

Maybe split the minutes between the top 2 pairings evenly.

If Zaitsev is given time to adjust I bet him and Gardiner would be a pretty good 'modern' defensive pairing. Some serious puck movement skills to get it to the big 3.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
If Rielly plays the right side well, I could honestly see Dermott as his partner this year. He's a great fit for Rielly and could keep up too. But unlikely Babcock puts Rielly on the right side.

Dermott - Rielly
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Borgman - Rosen/Carrick

one77

Dec 22, 2013
I still think one of Manson, Faulk or Dumba will be Rielly's RHD partner this year

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If I'm following the Ducks correctly;

Lindholm and Vatanen both had major shoulder surgery, Lindholm out 4-5 months, and per Bob Murray, Vatanen will be out "longer"

But the bigger news re: Leafs

Kevin Bieksa tore his MCL, and while he won't need surgery, he won't be healthy by the expansion draft, thus they can't buy him out.

Thus, the Ducks will need to convince him to waive his NMC, OR they need to deal one of Lindholm/Vatanen/Manson/Fowler.

So, yeah

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
If I'm following the Ducks correctly;

Lindholm and Vatanen both had major shoulder surgery, Lindholm out 4-5 months, and per Bob Murray, Vatanen will be out "longer"

But the bigger news re: Leafs

Kevin Bieksa tore his MCL, and while he won't need surgery, he won't be healthy by the expansion draft, thus they can't buy him out.

Thus, the Ducks will need to convince him to waive his NMC, OR they need to deal one of Lindholm/Vatanen/Manson/Fowler.

So, yeah

I CHOOSE FOWLER/LINDHOLM AS TRIBUTE!

just saying.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Looks like Tanev would be a tough get. Not sure if it's just posturing but based on Benning being Benning, this seems like they would listen but hold his name in high regard.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It would also be really cool if we could replace Gardiner with Karlsson, he could really feast on the opposition from those third pairing minutes!

or if we could replace Hyman with Crosby because that is the same thing I'm suggesting... yem , uhhuh ,,, LAMFAO... LOL... Mrrrrf... brrrpp ...:facepalm:

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

Looks like Tanev would be a tough get. Not sure if it's just posturing but based on Benning being Benning, this seems like they would listen but hold his name in high regard.

It wouldn't shock me if Benning refused to throw in the towel and go for 8th with that mediocre roster he'll once again have. Vancouver is going to waste another year retooling with an aging roster when they should be looking to secure 1st overall, which they may end up with anyway. Much like the leafs of old they refuse to rebuild and sit in no mans land.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It shouldn't be a surprise that the Canucks won't actually rebuild. It will never happen until they actually makes moves to suggest they will. Trading for Gudbranson, Sutter and signing Eriksson are not moves of a GM that wants to rebuild. Benning won't be the GM if they actually do a rebuild. What they are doing is a Burke special.

So I'll bring back my idea that they actually could have interest in JVR. They are/were looking for size and skill in their top 6.

They don't have a lot to offer outside of picks though. Gudbranson isn't very good, Tanev is likely not available and neither is Edler. What else is there? Hutton? Meh.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad